2nd Annual RFF Fall Hunt

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
BCKidd

Re: 2nd Annual RFF Fall Hunt

Post by BCKidd »

Well done, FrozenHorse- 2nd place- your first community comp and first submission! Excellence... for sure. 8-) ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

:shock:
Another 400+ elk, and quite a bit above 400 too! FrozenHorse... I hate to say it, but that's likely the biggest roosevelt elk you'll ever see in this game. I've been looking for one of those for a while, shot almost 400, spotted more than 900 - and my personal best is still at 393.

So embrace it! No matter where you end up on the leaderboard at the end of this competition - rest assured that you already got a much bigger prize than some em$! :)
Image Image Image
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

Really nice Rosie FrozenHorse. They are very rare, congrats!
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

Just submitted my first expedition and the moose didn't show up. Here's the url - https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/honz ... n/83149093

Ya, it's not going to help me move up any. But thought you should know incase there's a bug in the scoresheet. Or maybe I did something wrong?

ANyway… Thanks for the help ;-)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

HonzoChu wrote:Just submitted my first expedition and the moose didn't show up. Here's the url - https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/honz ... n/83149093
Animals for this competition only count if you hit at least one lung and/or the heart. Your moose had none of that, it was shot in the intestines.
Image Image Image
HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

ah..... Thanks right. Thank you I had forgotten. Was a long hunt and 0130 am here..... need sleep....

Thanks again ;-)
FrozenHorse
Spotter

Post by FrozenHorse »

VonStratos wrote:Another great hunt history and what a Elk, you know the 400+ are a trophy that many people (like me) search for years, congratulations, specially being your first community competition, btw here is my RFF bear barrel, i think start with a big heavy one is critical for the success of the hunt, so i share mi bit of advice, it attract lots of bears and have good visibility, but no always a big one is around, i have towers near for watch the barrel from afar and pick a bear without risking to get near or scare the bT that roam around, also are useful to see fleeing bears after shooting one in the barrel, and a stand or gb for bow/slug shooting if a comp requires it.

http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/myreserve/?cod ... DJDFKFPIPI
Edit: there is a camping near where i placed the tent, so is not necessary, but i put one there to be able go and change weapons in the area if i need to.

Thanks for the congrats and tips - it was also my thoughts it will be best to start with the bear as it seemed to me the most hard animal to get from the 4 (was barrel baiting good amount of brown bears in the Hemmeldal, before)...and this is why this forum is golden! Because you can see below, I've placed my first barrel and treestand very close to yours, actually - after reading all the tips somewhere on the forum a week ago :idea: ;)
http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/myreserve/?cod ... CLKLJLNADF
FrozenHorse stats:
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Yeah, placing one in the swamps is a must. Here's where I have mine, both usually produce 7-9 bears: http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/myreserve/?cod ... HCJBGJNFJL
Image Image Image
FrozenHorse
Spotter

Post by FrozenHorse »

Thanks BCKid/Tanngnjostr/Nockedup: I realize this was sheer luck for my 11th Elk in my life :-). Still...not shot with muzzeloader, becasue I'm not owner of the one :-D. And it was also pretty difficult situation so I'm glad I had my 9.3x74R O/U with long ditance scope with me.

FYI, I'm still pretty low-skilled with my weapons and so I was thinking how to be in par with others here...and bought tripod rest for the purpose of this competition, last week...and I must say it's helping me a lot.
FrozenHorse stats:
Spoiler:
dj.p.king
Scout

Post by dj.p.king »

Finally I got to submit a Expedition sheet after many failed attempts :)

Started hunt at 00:50 UK time, 07:00 game time from Trapper's Rest Lodge, I headed off towards tower 2 just as I was approaching the tower 2 female Moose were heading straight at me, crawling to my left I was able to not spook them letting them pass by, then off to my left a call from a male moose, I called back and started to look for him in the morning haze, spotting him through the scope on my .45-70 Government taking the shot he only gave me 108.881, I headed back to the tower sat back had a ciggy while planning my route, that's when I get a call from a male WT out front around 110 meters, I call back still finding it hard to spot in the morning haze, I call again getting a call back but still I cant see him, I then spot him 85 meters out using my 9.3x74R O/U he's down giving me a 153.423, from here I head off towards the ship wreck.

On my way there crossing the many Islands I was not able to spot a better Moose or WT than what I had, so from the wreck I headed right in the direction of tower 6, on the way I was able to find a bigger Moose than my first bagging him with a 123.285, still heading in the direction of tower 6 I spot what I thought was a bigger WT but no he was only 152.205, still heading towards the tower I see a Bear (Blonde) (M) just as I take the shot he starts trotting dam he's a runner not wanting to shoot again I run after him hoping he drops which he did (thank god) but didn't count, still heading in the direction of tower 6 I hear a WT, I take him before see the info in the scope he's down but not a good score.

I come across my first Elk way past tower 6 spot him he's only small but I need a score he's was only 71.812, I head toward the waterfalls to the far right of the map looking for better finally see one not much bigger but a better score, take aim dam body hit the chase begins he drops after sometime, the hunt is still on ;) by now it's 13:30 game time and I still need my bear, so I headed along the water's edge towards were most have a bait barrel for the bears, hoping I would find a bigger Elk on the way but nothing, getting to my tree stand I start scanning the bears, while checking their size I get a moose hanging around under me he's smaller than what i had but he was being a pain so out came the Parker Python he's down and the bears none the wiser ;), then the rains came boy does it rain here lol, while waiting for this to stop I end up with yet another moose passing under me heading towards the bears and he's bigger than my others dam what to do I don't want to scare the bears, once more I bring out the bow as he turns side on I take the shot he runs but then drops (thank god) as the rain was just stopping.

Now I could start rechecking the bears, I go for a (Blonde) (M) scoring 19-24 take the shot and dam he's running but goes down after a while 228.33 (don't count), I then take a (Chocolate) (M) 205.08 and a (Cinnamon) (M) 219.60, I collect these and head back to the stand, once more the rain comes in and when it clears I see one (M) I take him and then start heading back towards Trapper's Rest Lodge on the way I take one more moose but it's not bigger and then come across a (Cinnamon) (M) 244.53, I end the hunt back at the lodge after a hunt duration of 6 hours 3 minutes with no fast tracking and happy to have completed the hunt but wishing I could have found a better Elk.

After submitting I find out I was 37th but the first brit to make the leaderboard :) :), it is now 09:30 time for a bit of sleep :) thanks Bckidd peace
Season 26

1 Range record Season 23 - Dall 583.110 m, 1 Range record Season 25 - Dall 601.410 m
PB range, Xbow 230.230, Bow 471.180, Rifle 601.410
Game play 2700+ hours/hunter score 19000+ http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=djpking

Return to “Competitions”