"Late Summer Hunt II" by BCKidd

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: "Late Summer Hunt II" by BCKidd

Post by VonStratos »

Ahhh those boars were too tanky, i only managed put lung shots in the low score ones... but for sake of my sanity i am moving ahead into Hemmeldal, where i just need a bear again, ok keep calm, a moose, my favorite, and a reinder... a reindeer, with a slug...

Now serious question, i have very minimal experience with reindeer, i have taken some with bow, but looking at their weight, they doesn't seem more hard tho bring down with a slug than a red deer or elk, but, are they tanky, does someone already did that part with a shotgun slug?

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

VonStratos wrote:Ahhh those boars were too tanky, i only managed put lung shots in the low score ones... but for sake of my sanity i am moving ahead into Hemmeldal, where i just need a bear again, ok keep calm, a moose, my favorite, and a reinder... a reindeer, with a slug...

Now serious question, i have very minimal experience with reindeer, i have taken some with bow, but looking at their weight, they doesn't seem more hard tho bring down with a slug than a red deer or elk, but, are they tanky, does someone already did that part with a shotgun slug?
I think the biggest point to be aware of is the difference in size/position of the heart/lung. dropping with a slug? piece of cake. If you aim as a normal deer you'll get liver/stomach/intestine with anything besides a broadside shot - I highly discourage broadside shots on them since you can't count on hitboxes at 90 degrees - quartering in would be my preferred line but do what you're comfortable with. I don't like this line on a roe for example as I know I'll hit it's armor plated shoulder blade- This isn't the same issue on a RD but it's not the same bag of mush a red deer is- I think reds are about the easiest in-game to kill similar to elk/moose I see them as a juicy sack of vitals you are unlikely to miss. Most times, we're going to get the shot we're given and take it. If you're not comfortable with it and it looks like a score to grab (4 good palms is a keeper most times) take the time and apply the discipline to assure it's what you believe in. Discipline for the right shot is a trademark of BC's comps, this is by design to challenge us so make it count or enjoy the burn - no more complex than that :D - If I was to put numbers on it, I'd say in this comp with it's requirements, I'd put the task of FINDING that high scoring animal at 35% and applying discipline for the proper shot at 65% - you can't screw up finding an animal but you can blow an entire hunt with 1 crap shot - Tanns recent experiences are proof of this. Sharing of these tragedies with awesome trophy scores and supporting documentation is actually divulging some strengths and weaknesses of ones "secret" hunting tactics :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I hope make count that slug on reindeer, they may be the hardest to get until now, since they roam the reserve and there is no sure area where to find them, beside they walk fast so stalking them is not the best approach, and there is no lure scent to get them in a spot at the right distance, probably i gonna have to make frontal shots, it worked fine in the elks, but this is new territory for me.

Well something for sure is that this competition is making memorable moments, i was just removing equipment from Hirsch to use it in Hemmeldal and wow, i bagged one of those boars that you may see once in a season, now is posted in the picture Bazaar thread... because i don't know where else can i post something like that xD

ImageImage
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

BCKidd wrote:Some might be goin' into this comp with hopes of gettin' 100% CSS- that is tryin' too hard. Karzyeyed has the idea.
You're right, my competitiveness was going overboard, hence the frustration. I slept on it and decided that giving up is too easy! 8-)

That's what I got for trying again. It's not relevant for the comp, but still a nice trophy:
238.494 - currently second in "Top Roe - Intermediate".

I'm also still in the race for "Biggest Bear - Intermediate". The good thing is: those official comps are less demanding than BCKidd's rules! :lol:
Image Image Image
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Tann- naps are always good! Glad you didn't crawl into a fetal ball in the closest :safe space: :lol: ~ You're scores of late are so off the hook the RNG gods are smiling on thee!!!

I would be not happy with a 238 roe ONLY good for 2nd- But that trophy shot reminds me of the Captain Morgan commercials :lol:

Captain Tann! Captain tann!has a nice ring to it---but I hear Forest going "Lieutenant Dan! Lieutenant Dan

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I knew you weren't going to give up, Tann. You just needed to step away and reevaluate the situation. Messing up on trophy critters is all part of the comp. We all do, we all have done it, and we'll likely do it again. Geez, I think I took those words right from Radamus. I'm glad you haven't given up- 'cause you are right, that's the easy way out..., and I don't think you wanna be that guy. :lol: ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Aw, today i was preparing my setup in Hemmeldal and i saw a couple of female moose, i took my shotgun and shoot at one over 40 mts just to practice and see how good are the slug at that distance in a moose up front... very good, lung shot and she died after some meters, ok, i placed my setup and then i got a couple of reindeer near, we were in a mountain peak where there was no way to get 40 mts with good visual and they were one next to the other, since my experience is minimal and my spotting is still low they did seem similar scoring to me, so i shot one and the other flew, i followed and once he got calm i lured him and voila, a decent scoring reindeer with a slug... all good until i submitted the hunt and discovered that the female moose that i shoot before also count as an attempt.

So now i have a reindeer in bag and only once chance to get a better moose and erase that shameful female of the leaderboard :oops: well... in the bright side i just need a male moose to get a better score than that practice target female :)

ImageImage
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

VonStratos wrote:all good until i submitted the hunt and discovered that the female moose that i shoot before also count as an attempt.
Since it counts as an attempt, it should at least award you the HV points, shouldn't it? Not that it would change the fact that you'd still have to shoot a bull to improve. :roll:
Image Image Image
vortex1957
Tracker

Post by vortex1957 »

Settlers Creek and Whiteheart Island is one pain in the butt. Hard to get 40 M shots, but I prevailed. Took forever to get my coyote and a feral hog (I settled for a mediocre), but all worked out. I got this 259 non-typical whitetail. You can bet that BCKidd was called a few unique names :lol: and I imagine there will be more name calling ;)

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Great non-typical buck, vortex! :)

I got a bunch of letters from Doc in the last few days, but some of them are nicer than others... like this morning:

:D
Image Image Image

Return to “Competitions”