Seven Shots

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Re: Seven Shots

Post by FR_Bugs »

Little question Marc : We had to compete for the 3 tiers or we can choose to compete for 1 or 2 only ?
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

FR_Bugs wrote:Little question Marc : We had to compete for the 3 tiers or we can choose to compete for 1 or 2 only ?
There's no rule that says you have to get a score in all three tiers in order to win a prize. So you're free to compete only for one or two of them and win the trophy and prize money for those tiers.
Or maybe you start with the one you like best and if you manage to get a good score quickly, why not try your luck at the remaining tiers too? ;)

By the way: The amount of attempts (5 per tier), the hunt duration (no more than 4 hours per hunt) and the duration of the competition (10 days, 2 full weekends) was chosen so that players with limited free time to play, with day jobs and other obligations should have a realistic chance to compete with the others, still those that can and are willing to invest a bigger amount of time should somehow be rewarded for doing so. The freedom to decide to only go for one of the tiers is part of that concept.

I'd love to hear your opinions: Do you think that my decisions (regarding rules, objectives, attempts, hunt duration, competition dates) strikes a good balance between catering "casual" and "hard core" players, between skill, time investment and luck as winning factors? How would you guys have done it?
Image Image Image
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
FR_Bugs wrote:Little question Marc : We had to compete for the 3 tiers or we can choose to compete for 1 or 2 only ?
There's no rule that says you have to get a score in all three tiers in order to win a prize. So you're free to compete only for one or two of them and win the trophy and prize money for those tiers.
Or maybe you start with the one you like best and if you manage to get a good score quickly, why not try your luck at the remaining tiers too? ;)

By the way: The amount of attempts (5 per tier), the hunt duration (no more than 4 hours per hunt) and the duration of the competition (10 days, 2 full weekends) was chosen so that players with limited free time to play, with day jobs and other obligations should have a realistic chance to compete with the others, still those that can and are willing to invest a bigger amount of time should somehow be rewarded for doing so. The freedom to decide to only go for one of the tiers is part of that concept.

I'd love to hear your opinions: Do you think that my decisions (regarding rules, objectives, attempts, hunt duration, competition dates) strikes a good balance between catering "casual" and "hard core" players, between skill, time investment and luck as winning factors? How would you guys have done it?
I would have done one attempt per day, but it's not really an issue.
Are you gonna discount for those short hunts that mean disconnections or other issues? More of a rhetorical question, of course.
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

BuiuRei wrote:I would have done one attempt per day, but it's not really an issue.
Interesting idea, never thought about that. Though that would probably be a disadvantage for those that can only play on weekends. Personally, I often don't play on weekdays at all, but sometimes I can free a Saturday or Sunday and do three or four longer hunts on those days. If we had a "one hunt per day" rule, I'd feel punished.
BuiuRei wrote:Are you gonna discount for those short hunts that mean disconnections or other issues? More of a rhetorical question, of course.
Hunts only subtract an attempt if their duration was more than 60 seconds. So the occasional crash while starting a game shouldn't cost you an attempt. Also, it allows "rain mashing" (I just recently learnt this term) - if you don't like hunting in the rain and it's showering at the start already or the sky is completely overcast, you can quickly quit and it won't count. But do so at your own risk: if it was 61 seconds, it'll subtract an attempt, and don't forget that time already runs during the loading screen.
Of course, if your game crashes after 10 minutes, you're SOL. There's no perfect solution I'm afraid.
Image Image Image
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I'd love to hear your opinions: Do you think that my decisions (regarding rules, objectives, attempts, hunt duration, competition dates) strikes a good balance between catering "casual" and "hard core" players, between skill, time investment and luck as winning factors? How would you guys have done it?
Since you asked :
- Having two weekends included in the dates is very good . I always try to put two also ,when that long .Need to think of those working for sure and with limited time during the week .
- Normalized scores , i'm not a big fan of. Always want to have my results ,my efforts based on what i do , not based / affected, by others results and luck . But that doesn't mean its not a good way to do comps , but they seem to be all done in that mater lately . That's why mine are regular standard scoring ones . Still not quite sure , i fully understand the scoring for this one , but i'll know when i enter some hunts .
- 10 attempts in all would have been my choice .3 in each reserve , plus one in the reserve of your choice .Of course if possible by the UHC system .
- Bonus points are very good , very rewarding .
- SP a must . Hunt duration , perfect .
- Having tiers is good .
- Hunt submission max time, is a bit long imo . One can almost have a hunt of just less of that time , and decide if he enters it or not .

All in all , anxious to start it . thx again for hosting Marc and you have really nice trophies ! thx to David for that and Tod for making it happen .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Thanks for your opinion, Serge. :)
DYEUZ wrote:- Normalized scores , i'm not a big fan of. Always want to have my results ,my efforts based on what i do , not based / affected, by others results and luck . But that doesn't mean its not a good way to do comps , but they seem to be all done in that mater lately . That's why mine are regular standard scoring ones . Still not quite sure , i fully understand the scoring for this one , but i'll know when i enter some hunts
Honestly, I like using "raw" scores too, but it's often difficult with multispecies comps. Actually my first draft used raw scores, but look at tier 2 for example: everybody would just shoot water buffalo because they are the heaviest by far. Now I could say "Shoot at least three different species" (and that was my idea at first), but then we would all have one sambar, one banteng and five water buffaloes. It just doesn't seem to work with raw scores here. In other comps it does work very well of course, for example when using just one or two species or species with very similar score ranges. I like your idea for the Sniper's comp by the way: distance plus score.

The reason for changing the formula for normalization (compared to what we got used to on UHC) was to level the different species even more. Some animals' scores range from almost zero to max score and reaching 85% of max score is really good (like a 225 roe deer for example). But for other species the minimum score is already 60% of the max score - take bears for example. With the old formula, a 85% brown bear would be a 24.7 - hardly a trophy. With the new formula, you'll probably need more like a 27 which is at least decent.
I know the new formula looks even more complicated, but in the end it's all about knowing a good score from experience and then deciding which ones are worth shooting and which ones you can pass up on. Seven shots in 4 hours means around 30-35 minutes per shot. I'm excited to see the results... :)
Image Image Image
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I received a question about the scoring system and the rules of the competition. The conversation was via PM, but I thought it might be interesting for others too...

The question was whether it would be necessary or in some way advantageous to harvest at least one of each species in each of the competition tiers.

My answer was:
Actually it doesn't make a difference whether you shoot one of each species or the same species seven times. Each animal will be normalized for itself, based on its score, and will award between 0 and 100 points. If you find seven big moose, great! But it's not worse or better than - say - two roe deer, two reindeer, a moose, a fox and a bear. There are no bonuses for shooting different species.
Of course if you see that someone else already shot a 265 roe deer in the competition but the biggest moose is "only" a 200, it might be a good idea to go for moose rather than for roe deer. Going for animals that aren't hunted very much by the other participants might help you. Things like these should be considered in your strategy. :)

Of course: Tier 3 is very different. There's no normalization and the distances are just added up. Still, it doesn't matter (for the score) which species you shoot, as long as you use a shotgun and the animal is fleeing when shot.
Image Image Image
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Marc,
I believe these three sentences in the ROE should be changed as follows:

The combined normalized trophy scores (see below) of all animals harvested in one hunt on Hemmeldal.
The combined normalized weights (see below) of all animals harvested in one hunt on Piccabeen Bay.
The combined distances of all animals shot with any shotgun while fleeing, harvested in one hunt on Settler Creeks.

In each case, substitute the words "harvested in one hunt" with "harvested in one hunt of your 5 attempts on...."

At first blush, it appeared to me that we were only allowed one hunt on each of the three reserves. Below, it says 5 attempts on each reserve. I think that should be incorporated in the language above.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

...I would vote for '' The combined normalized trophy scores (see below) of all animals harvested in a single hunt on Hemmeldal ''
Same for other ...

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

This sound like very fun idea, you could made a hunt and go after a couple of animal and use the seven shots in those two or try make good shot placement and get 7 animals, its imho a competition that will reward a lot for those than keep shot placement in mind when hunting, and count me in of course.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “Competitions”