Seven Shots

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Re: Seven Shots

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Hunt duration: Up to 4 hours real time (per hunt), no minimum duration, 5 attempts per reserve

Objectives / Scoring:
The competition is broken down into three tiers:
Tier 1 - Score - The combined normalized trophy scores (see below) of all animals harvested in one hunt on Hemmeldal. Shotguns must not be used. Ptarmigans only count if shot airborne.
Tier 2 - Weight - The combined normalized weights (see below) of all animals harvested in one hunt on Piccabeen Bay. Shotguns must not be used. Magpie geese only count if shot airborne.
Tier 3 - Distance - The combined distances of all animals shot with any shotgun while fleeing, harvested in one hunt on Settler Creeks. If an animal was shot multiple times, the shortest distance counts.
I don't see where there would be any confusion about attempts. Score comes from one hunt and the amount of attempts are covered under hunt duration. Everything looks strait forward and easy to understand too me.

The only thing I might change is add a shot to the brain into the bonus category.
Last edited by RidgeBack69 on June 3rd, 2018, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I realize that it's hard to word every competition rule so that there's no ambiguity at all, no matter how you put it. But I expect every participant to read the full rules and that should make it clear: the score of each tier is made up of the harvests of one hunt, but you have up to five attempts (per tier) to achieve that and you can improve (= replace) each tier score with those attempts.
RidgeBack69 wrote:The only thing I might change is add a shot to the brain into the bonus category.
You can get the 5% bonus (for zero wound time) with brain shots and of course the 1% bonus is completely independent of shot placement too. The 3% bonus is reserved to heart/lung shots since that's what considered ethical hunting in most areas of the world (so I've been told for years in this forum). Also, it requires a broadside shot which is more difficult to achieve with the existing calling system.
Image Image Image
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:The only thing I might change is add a shot to the brain into the bonus category.
You can get the 5% bonus (for zero wound time) with brain shots and of course the 1% bonus is completely independent of shot placement too. The 3% bonus is reserved to heart/lung shots since that's what considered ethical hunting in most areas of the world (so I've been told for years in this forum). Also, it requires a broadside shot which is more difficult to achieve with the existing calling system.
Fair enough I am fine with the way it is.

But I must disagree that a Lung/Heart shot is more difficult to make. A brain shot shot is much eaiser to miss. Which is why it is considered to be un-etical by some.
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

RidgeBack69 wrote:But I must disagree that a Lung/Heart shot is more difficult to make. A brain shot shot is much eaiser to miss. Which is why it is considered to be un-etical by some.
It's more difficult to make, that's right. But the broadside is a bit more difficult to "set up" since animals in this game usually come in a straight line to your call. That's what I meant. ;)
Image Image Image
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Tanngnjostr wrote:the score of each tier is made up of the harvests of one hunt, but you have up to five attempts (per tier) to achieve that and you can improve (= replace) each tier score with those attempts.
This,

in the original post, would have made it crystal clear for me. Thanks.

Stan

P.S.

I didn't mean to nitpick, Marc, but I'm notorious for not reading the rules (just ask Tod1d - :lol: ) and after my confusion with the "pounds of yotes" in the Bob Milek/Elmer Keith Memorial, along with others' who figured it out late, I just wanted to be clear.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

UPDATE

The scoring for "Seven Shots" had to be changed slightly:
In tier 1, instead of normalizing the score based on the highest scoring animal in the competition, given reference scores will be used to balance the different species.
The reference scores are as follows: reindeer = 600, roe deer = 230, moose = 220, red fox = 31, brown bear = 28, willow ptarmigan = 750.
This means that a 230 roe deer will be normalized as 100, so will be a 31 red fox. See the first post for a longer explanation.

In tier 2, we will used the minimum and the maximum weights to get normalized scores.

Tier 3 doesn't change at all, since it's using "raw" distances that aren't normalized in any way.

This means that the normalized score of each hunt will be completely independent from what the other participants have and the normalized score of a submitted hunt will not change during the competition. Also, it's much easier to code in UHC. ;)

We're running the final tests now and hope to activate the competition in a few days (actually it already had been activated some days ago, but we had to take it back for some more testing).
Image Image Image
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Registration for "Seven Shots" is open now!

In order to participate, you need to be a member of UHC Apps and register on the competition page. Find more information in the first post of this topic. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM.
Image Image Image
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:UPDATE

The scoring for "Seven Shots" had to be changed slightly:
In tier 1, instead of normalizing the score based on the highest scoring animal in the competition, given reference scores will be used to balance the different species.
The reference scores are as follows: reindeer = 600, roe deer = 230, moose = 220, red fox = 31, brown bear = 28, willow ptarmigan = 750.
This means that a 230 roe deer will be normalized as 100, so will be a 31 red fox. See the first post for a longer explanation.

In tier 2, we will used the minimum and the maximum weights to get normalized scores.

Tier 3 doesn't change at all, since it's using "raw" distances that aren't normalized in any way.

This means that the normalized score of each hunt will be completely independent from what the other participants have and the normalized score of a submitted hunt will not change during the competition. Also, it's much easier to code in UHC. ;)

We're running the final tests now and hope to activate the competition in a few days (actually it already had been activated some days ago, but we had to take it back for some more testing).
IMO this is a much better way for normalized scoring. Well done.
Spoiler:
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Registred :)
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

Thanks for hosting this one Tanngnjostr and to all involved! I'll give it a shot! I must say that those trophies that David made look awesome... as always. :)
Good luck to all that participate!

Return to “Competitions”