The Masters of the EHR - 2018

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Re: The Masters of the EHR - 2018

Post by JamboWhoDat »

DYEUZ wrote:Well, while you put up your tower over another tower on the highest mountain , to gain the distances , let me tell all participants this . Whatever happens from now on is because EW's timing for that kind of patch in the comp we are in , is the worst ever .

Also, there are players that are going to wait after the patch, to start this comp. to gain that little extra . Well i see that as exploit and unsportsmanlike .
Would have liked to see this comp with no equipment permitted . Would have been a bit different i'm sure .
While I agree EW's timing does suck, I was out scouting and practicing long shots after Jack's comp well before any mention of increase render. After all, don't golfers practice the course multiple times a couple days in advance of the Master's learning all the in and outs, slopes, lies, speed of the grass, so they can formulate strategy of which clubs to use, whether to go for the distance or to lay it up, etc when they play the tournament.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: JamboWhoDat ... The things is , they all play with same numbers of clubs . They are all equal, equipment wise .
The hole on each hole is the same size for all and in same position .
Then come talent . ;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Tod1d wrote:Just getting back, and noticed the Status Update.

Ideally, I should require everyone to finish up the comp with 220 render range. But there will most likely be no way to tell which setting was used.

Therefor, what I will do is limit the shot distance to 237m. (The longest shot on the range leaderboard for BRR is 237.1)
Any shot over 237m will get rounded down to a random value between 232 - 237 (No exploit for those putting with their drivers ;) )

I'll set this up tomorrow & test it so it's ready for Wednesday.

Be Well
I think Tod1d is using the longest shot made for this comp so far, not the main game leaderboard, but I could be wrong. Regardless of the distance, thanks for the ruling, Tod1d. In retrospect I think it's the fairest solution possible except for re-setting the comp, which is an understandably rough choice.
DYEUZ wrote:Well, while you put up your tower over another tower on the highest mountain , to gain the distances , let me tell all participants this . Whatever happens from now on is because EW's timing for that kind of patch in the comp we are in , is the worst ever .

Also, there are players that are going to wait after the patch, to start this comp. to gain that little extra . Well i see that as exploit and unsportsmanlike .
Would have liked to see this comp with no equipment permitted . Would have been a bit different i'm sure .
I don't think EW or anyone else is to blame for the timing, I certainly wouldn't fault them for not developing their game around someone's comp. Sometimes things just happen and we have to deal with them as best we can. In this case, Tod1d has fixed it by announcing he's capping the shot distance. If some players decide to wait for an update that isn't going to help them in any way, how are they gaining anything extra? If anything, anyone who waits until Wednesday after the update is limiting their remaining comp time and will only end up possibly hurting themselves. Are you saying that the use of towers or other stands is exploitative and unsportsmanlike, too? Or that they should have all been placed before the start of this comp? If so; If I thought a few extra meters was going to make a difference in this comp I'd probably use a tall stand too, set up either before or during the comp, and not think twice about it being considered either exploitative or unsportsmanlike since stands are allowed by the host of this comp along with being able to register after comp start. I would instead call this very much in line with "sportsmanlike" or "sporting" or "gamesmanship", if you like. If you're not saying the use of stands in this comp is exploitative and unsportsmanlike; Cool.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

DYEUZ wrote::arrow: JamboWhoDat ... The things is , they all play with same numbers of clubs . They are all equal, equipment wise .
The hole on each hole is the same size for all and in same position .
Then come talent . ;)
Exactly! They learn the course so they can maximize their talents. Although the hole and distance is the same, each golfer will get to the hole based on their talent. But hey regardless, it does suck with EW's release time. I personally think they should delay the release until next week giving the testers more time for thorough testing, and this week they do a live stream like they have been doing with the previous releases answering all the questions about how this new render will affect huntermate, calls, etc.

On a side note, me shooting at 240m may have let me beat you on one hole, I still would need to tie you with a .44 goat shot for hole in ones, and you my friend have a significant advantage over me on those shots, just look at my hand gun skills for that. ;)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Using equipment is not exploiting .
What i meant was , waiting for the patch to come up and exploit , the fact that it will change the value of what as been done already by others .
Waiting for it is unsportsmanlike , in my view . Because they will be able to see a bit further , if they wait for that patch , aren't they ?
If i shot at a certain position an animal at maximum distance i was able to see at 223m and after the patch , you stand on same spot an are able to see over 250m , isn't that an advantage ,gained by this new render distance ?

About who is to blame for the bad timing ? Certainly not me and the community . The ones that decided the day are to blame for that . Kinda shows you that they are not too much aware of what the community does . If it would have been a score wise comp, it would have been way different .

I agree 100% with you JamboWhoDat , when you talk about giving it more testing and do the stream first .
Looks like i am preaching for my soul here a lot . Well, you can see that i'm not happy about changing stuff when a comp is already underway . Never was and will never be . I will try to finish my holes tomorrow , if i get a bit of free time . Aiming for -11 , that's the best i can do . The rest , i have no control over .

;)

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

DYEUZ wrote:Using equipment is not exploiting .
What i meant was , waiting for the patch to come up and exploit , the fact that it will change the value of what as been done already by others .
Waiting for it is unsportsmanlike , in my view . Because they will be able to see a bit further , if they wait for that patch , aren't they ?
If i shot at a certain position an animal at maximum distance i was able to see at 223m and after the patch , you stand on same spot an are able to see over 250m , isn't that an advantage ,gained by this new render distance ?

About who is to blame for the bad timing ? Certainly not me and the community . The ones that decided the day are to blame for that . Kinda shows you that they are not too much aware of what the community does . If it would have been a score wise comp, it would have been way different .

I agree 100% with you JamboWhoDat , when you talk about giving it more testing and do the stream first .
Looks like i am preaching for my soul here a lot . Well, you can see that i'm not happy about changing stuff when a comp is already underway . Never was and will never be . I will try to finish my holes tomorrow , if i get a bit of free time . Aiming for -11 , that's the best i can do . The rest , i have no control over .

;)
Hahahahah, I see. So someone must be blamed so why not blame the game developer for not tracking player comps. Lol, crazy. It shows me that they're a business and have bigger things to worry about than a player comp, such as improving their game and sales on a timeline of their choosing instead of a comp's. That's brilliant, thanks for the smile. :D

And it's the players' faults that one day they can see up to 220m and two days later they can see up to 320m? Again, with the blaming of the blameless lol. Had this comp not been fixed by Tod1d's decision, I too would have waited until after the update on Wednesday in order to finish my remaining eight holes, as I suggested earlier today. Why wouldn't I or anyone else who could? It's called being smart, not "exploitative and unsportsmanlike", and none of us planned for the viewing distance to be increased mid-comp. Is everyone with incomplete scoresheets supposed to instead now rush to get all their scores submitted before the update on Wednesday, whatever that time may exactly be, when the comp doesn't even end until Friday, in order to satisfy you? Hahahahah, my lord you must hate a lot of people, this is too much. :lol:

By the way, if we want to continue on with the silly and pointless hunters/golfers analogy; No, you're wrong, professional golfers do not use "equal equipment". They each individually decide exactly which 14 clubs they're putting into their bag for the tournament, and each and every one of those clubs are custom made precisely for that golfer, and I'm not talking about sizing but the individual components themselves from club heads to shafts to grips, all of it. Not at all equal, and a matter of personal preference. Kind of like how our reserves are set up to our own specifications and how we pick and choose which pieces of equipment we're gonna use based on the rules of the competition which are governed by the competition's host. Let's come up with more ways hunting is exactly like golfing, this is fun! :lol:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Just as a note,

I am sorry that this is going to change mid competition for you guys and sorry to Tod as the organiser. But I am glad to see a solution has been found that looks fair and just.

Unfortunately, we can not take into account community competitions when we release game content. It is just not feasible from a business perspective and we have to think about our wider player base as well. If we delayed it for this comp, we would have 1000's of unhappy players. Just bad timing really!

Good luck too all.

TK
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

TreeKiwi wrote:Just as a note,

I am sorry that this is going to change mid competition for you guys and sorry to Tod as the organiser. But I am glad to see a solution has been found that looks fair and just.

Unfortunately, we can not take into account community competitions when we release game content. It is just not feasible from a business perspective and we have to think about our wider player base as well. If we delayed it for this comp, we would have 1000's of unhappy players. Just bad timing really!

Good luck too all.

TK
And I wouldn't expect EW to plan their release schedule around the community comps, or even consider them for that matter.

There is no "Blame" or "Fault" here, it's just a coincidence. For those trying to place blame, "It's not your fault." Let's just leave it at that, eh?

Arguing the max distance is as arbitrary (or more so) as me choosing the distance. The extra 3 meters doesn't give anyone an advantage. If you're trying to squeeze a few more centimeters by finding the best high spot to shoot from, then you're missing the spirit of the comp, and it's not helping you achieve a better score.

The only technical advantage would come from implementing a max distance. If I said "Any shot over 237 get rounded to 237 exactly", then someone could plan the next to last shot so 237 would be "in the hole" and just shoot over that distance to use the rounding. If I make the rounding random, then that last shot still has to be planned out to be under 237.

Being able to see the animals at a longer distance only gives the advantage of finding the next animal to shoot at. And that's not that much of a challenge with the render distance at 220. You still have to move within the appropriate distance for your next shot.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: J_Birdman ... Well, i made you laugh and thats all that matters . Pin pointing every details in my attempt to explain a thought , is not surprising to me .
Your reply is loooong and is without any weight anyway , like always . And to think that i tried some many times with PMs to bury the hatchet with you . Wow ! what a fool i was .
Last edited by DYEUZ on May 22nd, 2018, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

I am going to make one thing very clear. I was not waiting for the update to start the comp, and I don't see how anyone else was unless they had some inside information. I was very busy last week with another comp, trying to protect my lead. There are some unsportsmanlike things going on, but they are not by the people who can make a 240 m shot.

I spent 3 days checking the reserve for the best places to shoot from and setting up my "holes" for each day of golf. I have 2 spots that I can make a 240 M shot, neither of which has a damn thing to do with the update coming Wednesday. I have every distance needed marked with Flags on one spot, all from a Tripod which is available for anyone to buy from the store. The rules say I and anyone else can use equipment so no exploit there. The only reason I have not already started is that for shot stability, I decided to setup towers instead of tripods, and put them in the wrong spot and had to move them, so 2 days shot there. As for "putting with a driver", what is the difference in putting with an Iron, again no exploit. I have also made a spreadsheet with each hole layout as to which color flag I must shoot on every hole to make the best possible score. All of which again has nothing to do with new render distance. I have a plan for any comp I enter, not that it always works out, but I do start with a plan. I take all comps very seriously and plan accordingly.

However, the crybabies need not worry about me, I won't enter now and ruin anyone's chances of winning, as I don't like rule changes in the middle of a comp. So enjoy your comp and good luck to all.
Spoiler:

Return to “Competitions”