Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: RudiRR ... Grats on a nice achievement . ;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Thanks for the comp SoftShoe and congrats to all the winners!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

The Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt has ended

When I am not in the field hunting with a bow or muzzleloader my chosen weapon is inevitably a pistol. While a pistol no doubt has the power to harvest all game animals there are some rules you have to obey to do well with one. In competing in this comp you all have no doubt discovered those rules & at looking at the final standings not only learned but were able to excel using them.

As things turned out with the "Coyotes by the pound" segment of the comp I am kinda chagrined at the results. When dreaming up this comp I figured someone might end up taking as many as 50 or so yotes. To see that 2 stalwart coyote murders ground out 150 of them both makes me laugh & feel sorry for them. Sorry guys, I really didnt think it would be necessary to shoot so many of them.

Congrats to HighPlainsDrifter for taking 1st place! He also managed to take all the animals with the 308 allowing him to qualify for the Bob Milek award. Codes for 4000 em$ for 1st place & 1000 em$ for the Bob Milek award have been IMed to his in game IM account & the hat will be transferred to him ASAP.

Congrats to Dyeuz for taking 2nd place! He also managed to take all the animals with the 44mag allowing him to qualify for the Elmer Keith award. Codes for 3000 em$ for 2nd place & 1000 em$ for the Elmer Keith award have been IMed to his in game IM account. He has requested the hat go to a friend who will have it transferred to his account ASAP.

Congrats to RudiRR for taking 3rd place! He ground out 1/2 as many coyotes as our leaders but I have no doubt he is equally sick of them. A code for 2000 em$ has been sent to his in game IM.

I would like to thank David for creating the fine tool of UHC, Tod for taking the time to manage the comp & doing all the work on UHC. Radamus & Seifer for sponsoring portions of the prizes. This comp would not have been possible without their support.

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Once again , thx for hosting this comp SS.
Thx to the UHC guys for their hard work .
Thx to the sponsors : Radamus & Seifer .
Grats to the other winners and other participants also .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Congratulations to the winners and a job well done buy all who participated, THX to SoftShoe,UHCapps and the sponsors.

I am sorry I did not join in SoftShoe. Maybe next time.
Spoiler:
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Oh, I did not realize the bonuses were sponsored by others. Thank you Radamus and Seifer as well!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I have been mulling this over all day. So I have to ask the question. Why do comp hosts add a bonus for something, and then make it only available to the highest or first and second highest scoring competitors?

I'm not complaining, I'm just asking.

For example, this comp. The 1st and second place persons were the only ones who could win the two bonuses, no matter how many participants harvested all of their animals with the required weapon for the bonus. Why didn't the host just add an additional 1000em$ for first and second?

There are others that have been the same way, but I haven't researched them to list them here. I remember once I sponsored a bonus prize for any store item up to 1000 em$ for anyone out of the top ten, that qualified.

Lots of people, me included, quit playing in this comp with several days to go because first and second was pretty much sewed up, and there was no more incentive.

Hosts, if you are going to offer bonuses, why give it to only those in the top three? In my opinion, a bonus would be for someone outside the winner's circle, just to make it interesting. I would also make it mandatory, to qualify for the bonus, the participant has to complete the entire score sheet.

Just some thoughts that I think hosts should consider.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Stan, I somehow agree with you. There are some problems though. If you offer the bonus to everyone who achieves a certain objective, you might end up having to pay 20k em$ or more just for those bonuses. I have learnt the hard way not to underestimate what some players are able to achieve in this game, no matter how difficult it might seem at first.

So if you don't want to give it to everyone (or can't afford it), how do you decide who gets the bonus? You could give it to the first player that achieves the bonus goal, but then it'll probably be over long before the competition ends. You could give it to the lowest placed participant as a kind of "consolation prize", but then people might start to "tank" once they realize they have no realistic shot at the main leaderboard.
You could also choose your bonus objective so that they're completely independent from the general competition objectives - but that causes another problem, especially if the bonus prize is high. It might make a lot of participants go for the bonus objective rather than the main competition objectives and that will compromise your competition.

I don't think there's a perfect solution. I've made up some rules I try to follow when offering bonuses in my own comps. I find them helpful, I'm not saying they're perfect though:
  • Bonus objectives should be in accordance with the general competition objectives. You should be able to go for both: general leaderboard AND bonus. A participant shouldn't be forced to choose whether to win the comp or the bonus.
  • Usually I require a participant to complete his score sheet to be eligible for a bonus prize. Usually I also require him to be in the top XX of the final leaderboard to be eligible. This is to prevent participants from going for the bonus only and then quitting the comp with a half filled score sheet - or filling it with crappy animals.
  • The bonus objective should be difficult enough so that someone trying it faces an additional challenge. While competing in the main competition and for the bonus at the same time should be possible, it shouldn't be natural that the competition winner is also the bonus winner. It can happen, but only if the participant in question was willing to accept a significantly higher difficulty.
  • The prize money for the bonus objectives should never be higher than the prize money for first place, actually it should be more around 50% of it.
Look at two of my bonuses for "Tweed & Rifles":
1) One of them required the winners to use 10 different weapons (out of the 12 that were legal for the whole comp) for their 10 harvests. In case of multiple teams using 10 weapons, the highest placed should get the bonus. That one was won by the main leaderboard winners, but at least it required them to plan ahead and it restricted their weapon choice so that they couldn't just use the easiest or most powerful weapon for every competition animal. The prize was a 650 em$ weapon, compared to the 1500 em$ for the first place.
2) Another bonus was for the longest heart shot on a grizzly bear with the Cap Lock muzzleloader. In order to prevent some players from just going for that objective (which proved to be difficult enough, only two players made it iirc), only teams from the top ten were eligible. The prize, 1000 em$, was given to the team in 9th place.

Finally, the way bonuses work always depends a lot on the general setup of a competition. Like everywhere else, variety is the spice of life. ;)
Image Image Image
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

Congrats to the winners and a big thank you to all involved in putting this comp together!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

stancomputerhunter wrote: I have to ask the question. Why do comp hosts add a bonus for something, and then make it only available to the highest or first and second highest scoring competitors?
For this comp the bonus's fell in line with the overall theme of the hunt. Elmer Keith's notoriety derived from the 44mag & Bob Milek's the TC Contender (Highwayman) ergo the respective restrictions on guns. In this case it was possible if maybe unlikely that a top 3 finisher might not have gotten the animals with the required weapons but in doing so they had to make the choice to only use the specified weapons in effect putting themselves at a disadvantage. I supposed I could have offered it to everyone that filled their score card but with somewhere around 60 people registered... WOW

Return to “Competitions”