Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt

Post by SoftShoe »

Bob & Elmer are 2 legends in the handgun hunting community. Bob Milek, a Wyoming guide & gun writer lead the field in the adoption of long range handgun hunting & is credited for the development of the Herrett line of wildcat cartridges chambered in the TC Contender. Elmer Keith a Idaho rancher, gun writer & author of the book "Hell, I was there" worked closely with Smith & Wesson & is responsible for the development of the 44 Magnum caliber. He is also a noted hunter both of North American & African game.
For this competition we are going to honor these 2 legends by leaving our rifles at home & take to the field with handguns hunting all the game found in their native Idaho & Wyoming.

Starts: Saturday 26th May 2018 - 20:00 Eastern (EDT)
Ends: Saturday 2nd June 2018 - 20:00 Eastern (EDT)

Rules and Conditions

Huntable Species:
Bighorn Sheep
Black Bear
Blacktail Deer (Typical)
Coyote
Grey Wolf
Grizzly Bear
Mule Deer (Typical)
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Whitetail Deer (Typical)
*Yotes by the pound*

Permitted Reserves:
All

Permitted Weapons:
All handguns & scopes

Scoring:
Scoring is normalized, and based on the highest score in the competition for that species. For example, if you submit a whitetail deer scoring 150.750 and this is the highest scoring whitetail deer in the competition, you will receive a score of 100 points. If later another participant submits a whitetail deer scoring 195.450 and this becomes the highest scoring whitetail deer in the competition, they will receive a score of 100 points and your score will reduce to 77.12, since 150.750 is 77.12% of 195.450. To word it another way, the normalized score you are awarded for an animal is based on how that animal scores as a percentage of the highest score for the same species in the competition.

Objective
Highest total normalized score.

Special Requirements:
One shot kills only. Wound time does not matter, so instant kill is not needed.

Expedition Requirements:
Hunts must begin after the comp starts and after you enroll, and end before the comp ends.
Hunts/Scoresheets must be submitted within 90 minutes after the end of the hunt (no sandbagging).
Hunts must be at least 45 minutes real time (1 hour and 30 minutes game time).
Equipment/Stands: Towers, Treestands, Tripods, Blinds and the Shooting Tripod Rest are allowed in this comp.
Hunts must be submitted as expeditions (the whole hunt) not just individual animals.

Bonus points:
5% bonus for heart shots. Other organs may be hit as well.

Prizes
1st: 4000 em$
2nd: 3000 em$
3rd: 2000 em$

Bonus Prizes!
Bob Milek Award: Top score that shoots all animals with the 308 Handgun. Brown Cowboy Hat + 1000 em$
Elmer Keith Award: Top score that shoots all animals with a 44mag*. Black Cowboy Hat + 1000 em$

44 mag* the 44mag is not ethical for Grizzly making the Elmer Keith award unwinnable. You may take the grizzly with any other handgun & still be eligible for the Elmer Keith award so long as every other animal is taken with the 44mag (44 Magnum Revolver or 44 Revolver).

*Unique to this hunt
*Yotes by the pound* Coyotes are a nuisance species & consequently shot on sight by all country folk. It's a badge of honor how many we kill each year. In recognition of this we have created a species called "yotes by the pound*. By the pound is a misnomer because it's actually going to be just total numbers of coyote shot. Whoever shoots the most coyotes for the duration of the hunt will get the 100.00 score for it & everyone's totals will be normalized based on that. Coyotes must be shot with a pistol as well.

Enrollment - ENROLL HERE
You must be a UHC member in order to take part in this competition. To become a member, click here and follow the instructions.
If you're already a member, click here to view the competitions page, then click the "Enroll In This Competition" button next to Opening Day.
You must be enrolled in the competition prior to starting a hunt from which you wish to submit scores.

Scoresheet - SCORESHEET HERE
Participants must submit their competition entries using the scoresheet.
UHC recommends you use ALT-F4 to end your hunts rather than selecting "Quit" from the game menu.
Check the end date of your hunt on the hunt summary page before submitting. If the end date is 1969-1970, UHC will not accept the hunt. Wait until it fully updates.

Leaderboard - LIVE LEADERBOARD HERE
The leaderboards for this competition will be updated in real time. Please use the link above to keep track of the competition.

Questions?
If you have any questions regarding the comp, please feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Errors and Bugs
If you find any errors in this thread (Typos, missing or misleading information) please PM me!

Conditions
I reserve the right to modify the rules and terms of this competition at any time between the date and time of this post, and the start of the competition. I also reserve the right to cancel this competition at any time.
UHC and competition hosts reserve the right to disqualify any participant at their discretion for any reason, including but not limited to: cheating, unsportsmanlike conduct, harassment, et. al.
Discrepancies & ambiguities in the rules or scoring site will be addressed by UHC or the competition host as expediently as possible.
Last edited by SoftShoe on April 5th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Bob Milek / Elmer Keith Memorial Hunt

Post by DYEUZ »

Big nice one Softshoe ! Thx for making this comp .Great announcement ! Looks really good .

- So the objective , is the combined normalized scores of all these species ? 10 of them ?

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Is that a Sambar in Milek's picture? I'm with DYEUZ, what is the objective? Total highest combined score of all 10 species?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Correct, total highest combined score.

The pic I believe is of a Roosevelt Elk.

JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Stan, you need new glasses! Behind the "Sambar" i can clearly see snow! ;)
Spoiler:

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Nice! I'll be there with my six-shooter blazin'... Thanks for hosting, SoftShoe! Some awesome prizes to be won. 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

JackRbbt wrote:Stan, you need new glasses! Behind the "Sambar" i can clearly see snow! ;)
It's no wonder I can't see the freakin' Bighorn Sheep. :?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

That is a elk in the picture. Not sure what snow has to do with anything?
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Sambar lives in tropical/sub-tropical areas. How many time you heard of snowing there?
Spoiler:

DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

JackRbbt wrote:Sambar lives in tropical/sub-tropical areas. How many time you heard of snowing there?
Got ya lol. I was just waking up and not understanding the comment as a joke sorry.

Return to “Competitions”