Opening Day!

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Opening Day!

Post by SoftShoe »

Opening day… As a kid Opening Day of deer season ranked right up there with Christmas as the day I looked forward to the most. Such fond memories, waking up at 3am to the smell of frying bacon & coffee brewing. Putting on my hunting clothes & sliding the rifle out of its case. Checking for the 100th time that my hunting license was still in its case on the back of my hunting jacket. Loading my pockets with enough shells to kill every deer on the mountain. Trudging off into the bitter cold trying to find my hunting spot in the dark. Jumping at the sound of every squirrel. My heart hammering in my ears as I aimed at a nice buck. The exaltation of finding that buck a few yards from where I shot him.
There was also the ritual of going to the local diner for lunch to swap stories with friends & neighbors but most importantly to see what everyone else got. While there we would make fun of the “city boys”. They would stand there proudly with their shiny high powered rifles sporting a fancy telescopic sights over a spikey yearling buck. Meanwhile we “hicks” would wipe down our Winchester 94’s or sporterized surplus rifles & point a casual thumb at the monster bucks in the back of our trucks.

For this hunt we are going to roll back the clock. It’s the late 1960’s, you are a hick living in the hills of rural Pennsylvania & its opening day. You have your license & tag for ONE antlered deer. Nothing else is in season. Be careful not to poach! Game Wardens are always watching & they don’t just take the deer. They will take your gun & truck too!

We will meet you at the diner to see what you got…

Starts: Friday 13th April 2018 - 19:00 Eastern (EDT)
Ends: Saturday 14th April 2018 - 19:00 Eastern (EDT)

Rules and Conditions

Species: Whitetail Deer
Reserves: Settler Creeks

Permitted Rifles:
30-30 Lever Action, .30-06 Bolt Action Rifle (Classic, Not the Stutzen!), .303 British Bolt Action Rifle, 8x57 IS K98k Bolt Action Rifle, 7.62x54R. IRON SIGHTS ONLY!

Scoring:
Your score is the score for your best whitetail out of 3, plus a 5% bonus for a heart shot.

Special Requirements:
One shot kills only. Wound time does not matter, so instant kill is not needed.
3 attempts for this comp.
NO OTHER animals may be taken during this hunt.
Iron Sights Only!
Hunts must be started at 0600 game time & end by 1000 game time. 4 hour hunt (2 hours real time)!

Expedition Requirements:
Hunts must begin after the comp starts, and end before the comp ends.
Hunts must be started at 0600 game time & end by 1000 game time. 4 hour hunt (2 hours real time)!
Hunts/Scoresheets must be submitted within 3 hours after the end of the competition.
Hunts must be at least 45 minutes real time (1 hour and 30 minutes game time).
Equipment/Stands: Towers, Treestands, Tripods, Blinds and the Shooting Tripod Rest ARE NOT allowed in this comp.

Attempts
Participants may make 3 attempts in this comp.
After the competition starts and after you enroll, any hunt you start in Settler Creeks which lasts longer than 60 seconds, will automatically count towards your 3 attempts. Submissions can only be from your most recently completed hunt. You cannot go back and post a higher score from several hunts back

Bonus points:
5% bonus for heart shots. Other organs may be hit as well.

Leaderboard
The leaderboards for this competition will NOT be updated in real time. You will be able to view final standings after the comp ends.

Prizes
1st: 2000 EM$
2nd: 1000 EM$
3rd: 500 EM$

Bonus Prize!
Highest score harvested with the 30-30 will get 500 em$

Enrollment - ENROLL HERE (link to follow)
You must be a UHC member in order to take part in this competition. To become a member, click here and follow the instructions.
If you're already a member, click here to view the competitions page, then click the "Enroll In This Competition" button next to Opening Day.
You must be enrolled in the competition prior to starting a hunt from which you wish to submit scores.

Scoresheet - SCORESHEET HERE (link to follow)
Participants must submit their competition entries using the scoresheet.
UHC recommends you use ALT-F4 to end your hunts rather than selecting "Quit" from the game menu.
Check the end date of your hunt on the hunt summary page before submitting. If the end date is 1969-1970, UHC will not accept the hunt. Wait until it fully updates.

Questions?
If you have any questions regarding the comp, please feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Errors and Bugs
If you find any errors in this thread (Typos, missing or misleading information) please PM me!

Conditions
I reserve the right to modify the rules and terms of this competition at any time between the date and time of this post, and the start of the competition. I also reserve the right to cancel this competition at any time.
UHC and competition hosts reserve the right to disqualify any participant at their discretion for any reason, including but not limited to: cheating, unsportsmanlike conduct, harassment, et. al.
Discrepancies & ambiguities in the rules or scoring site will be addressed by UHC or the competition host as expediently as possible.

JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Re: Opening Day!

Post by JackRbbt »

Another quickie! I love it! :)

Just one thing: the bonus prize condition (using 30-30 LAR) is somewhat discriminatory. Nobody wants to buy that particular rifle, just to have a chance. Maybe you can find a better option! ;)
Spoiler:

Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

People could use a treestand and you would never know it when they leave it to shoot. ;)
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

JackRbbt wrote:Another quickie! I love it! :)
Thanks, I have a large comp comping up at the end of March. That will be my only large comp. Every other comp I do will be like this. Short, simple & with a twist to make it challenging/fun.
JackRbbt wrote:Just one thing: the bonus prize condition (using 30-30 LAR) is somewhat discriminatory. Nobody wants to buy that particular rifle, just to have a chance. Maybe you can find a better option! ;)
That choice was very intentional. I happen to like the 30-30 so I wanted to give it some love. People that already own it now have a reason to pull it out of mothballs. If you dont happen to own it & really dont want it then it would be silly to buy it just to earn enough em$ to make your investment a wash. Winning the comp isnt contingent on using the 30-30. You can use any of the other specified rifles & still take a top 3 spot. You will just not get the bonus.

No particular placement on the leaderboard is required. Whoever gets the best scoring whitetail taken with the 30-30 will get 500em$

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Levado wrote:People could use a treestand and you would never know it when they leave it to shoot. ;)
Very true. You are free to do so if you like. I can not make anyone do anything. I can set the rules but there are always those who will push the boundaries & exploit when & where they can. I cant do anything about that. If their lives are so empty, if they have so low a self esteem that winning through elicit means is more important than the spirit of the hunt then let them have at it but let me say this. Anyone who reads my posts will have most likely figured out that I am an honest & honorable man who stands on principle. I expect those whom I deal with to exhibit similar qualities. If I catch a whiff of impropriety or if my gut says that someone is doing something elicit in one of my comp I will DQ them in a heartbeat & giggle when I do it. Moreover every future comp I hold they can expect their hunts to come under my microscope. I get that feeling twice & they are perma banned from all my comps. I dont blame people for their mistakes but I do expect them to pay for them.

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

Very nice comp. Only two days, three sessions and uncommon weapons. I and other working people will like such short competitions. I hope of more Weekend Events. :)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

vortex1957
Tracker

Post by vortex1957 »

Sounds like a lot of fun and very challenging, but I'm working that weekend I like the idea of it being limited to very few submissions and time limit for the hunts. As like many other, I don't want or have time to sit in front of a monitor all day, as I have a life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking forward to more like this...
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

SoftShoe wrote:... That choice was very intentional. I happen to like the 30-30 so I wanted to give it some love. People that already own it now have a reason to pull it out of mothballs. If you dont happen to own it & really dont want it then it would be silly to buy it just to earn enough em$ to make your investment a wash. Winning the comp isnt contingent on using the 30-30. You can use any of the other specified rifles & still take a top 3 spot. You will just not get the bonus.

No particular placement on the leaderboard is required. Whoever gets the best scoring whitetail taken with the 30-30 will get 500em$
Your "house", your rules, buddy! :)
Spoiler:

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Another short one. Awesome! Thanks for puttin' this one together too, SoftShoe. 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Nice idea..I'm in. One question. I own both of the .30-30s, the Liberator and the Lone Star. Does it matter which one I use?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Competitions”