Opening Day!

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Franek12

Re: Opening Day!

Post by Franek12 »

Sorry i spend money at 2018-04-15 06:53 2000 134 2134 Credit purchase.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I'm pretty sure that no one needs to give any em$ back that he already received. If necessary, I'd be happy to sponsor the missing 2k em$ so that both Seifer and Franek end up with what they deserve for their "Opening Day".
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I'm pretty sure that no one needs to give any em$ back that he already received. If necessary, I'd be happy to sponsor the missing 2k em$ so that both Seifer and Franek end up with what they deserve for their "Opening Day".
Only Seifer was effected. He move from 3rd to 1st. I'll cover the difference since it was my mistake. I fixed it yesterday, but didn't copy the fix up to the server. :?
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

SoftShoe wrote: Lets face it, being successful in this game is a function of time & luck. Sooner or later you are going to stumble into a big one. By taking away that time all you are left with is luck & that is something every hunter rolls the dice with every time he takes to the field.

I completely disagree with this. Since it's impossible to cover SC in two hours real time, this comp favored the run and gun people. They run the map until they find the track they want to pursue, then track it to get a spot, and then make a decision. Even doing that, it comes down to luck. In three hunts (actual hunting..not running around) I spotted ONE WT that spotted above 160..(160-180..scored 162..a 14 pointer for God's sake..please EW...please change the freakin' spotting info for people who are 20/20 on a species.) That spot SHOULD have been 160-165 if EW knew what they were doing, at the best, 160-170.

Once again I would like to apologize for not making it abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal. You can expect to have this very same rule on future comps of mine (with the exception of the upcoming memorial hunt).
And again it's misleading..it should say, "abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal PER HUNT/ATTEMPT. The above ssentence, to me, suggests that I can only take ONE, period. Hosts have to consider those who use Google translate and other means to know the rules, if English is not their first language.

I'm sorry for being critical, SS. There were lots of confusions after this comp started, and I'm just addressing some of mine. I just want a level playing field. I shot 2 WT in my first hunt, and then found out it wouldn't have counted if one of them was a score that might not be so embarrassing. My second, after I knew the rule, produced a paltry 162, and my third ended without taking a shot.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
SoftShoe wrote: Lets face it, being successful in this game is a function of time & luck. Sooner or later you are going to stumble into a big one. By taking away that time all you are left with is luck & that is something every hunter rolls the dice with every time he takes to the field.

I completely disagree with this. Since it's impossible to cover SC in two hours real time, this comp favored the run and gun people. They run the map until they find the track they want to pursue, then track it to get a spot, and then make a decision. Even doing that, it comes down to luck. In three hunts (actual hunting..not running around) I spotted ONE WT that spotted above 160..(160-180..scored 162..a 14 pointer for God's sake..please EW...please change the freakin' spotting info for people who are 20/20 on a species.) That spot SHOULD have been 160-165 if EW knew what they were doing, at the best, 160-170.

Once again I would like to apologize for not making it abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal. You can expect to have this very same rule on future comps of mine (with the exception of the upcoming memorial hunt).
And again it's misleading..it should say, "abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal PER HUNT/ATTEMPT. The above ssentence, to me, suggests that I can only take ONE, period. Hosts have to consider those who use Google translate and other means to know the rules, if English is not their first language.

I'm sorry for being critical, SS. There were lots of confusions after this comp started, and I'm just addressing some of mine. I just want a level playing field. I shot 2 WT in my first hunt, and then found out it wouldn't have counted if one of them was a score that might not be so embarrassing. My second, after I knew the rule, produced a paltry 162, and my third ended without taking a shot.
I don't know how to prevent the running and gunning. It would be exceptionally valuable in a comp shaped like this one. All I can think of is a "Max distance travelled" or something. Feels impossible though. Then someone would have to walk for two straight hours to see the maximum distance one can achieve without running.

I agree it's boring with running and mainly looking for heavy tracks (which requires a high tracking skill) and not primarily caring for calls since the big ones usually are quiet. It's much a game issue as well.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Generalkommendant wrote:I don't know how to prevent the running and gunning. It would be exceptionally valuable in a comp shaped like this one. All I can think of is a "Max distance travelled" or something. Feels impossible though. Then someone would have to walk for two straight hours to see the maximum distance one can achieve without running.
I think we have a pretty good idea of how much you can walk during one hour of playing. I'm sure that you could even check the "distance traveled" within UHC and disallow the hunt if the average speed was too high. It has been done before for one competition - and people didn't like it because they wanted to hunt in their own way. Also, there's the problem of the "distance traveled" stat being wrong sometimes.
Generalkommendant wrote:I agree it's boring with running and mainly looking for heavy tracks (which requires a high tracking skill) and not primarily caring for calls since the big ones usually are quiet. It's much a game issue as well.
A heavy weight doesn't really guarantee a big score. There's a correlation between weight and score (which is different depending on the species, but usually not too high for deer), so you slightly increase your chances for a big score by following the heavy tracks, but I would also suspect that this small advantage is quickly lost if you spend too much time tracking one animal.

I absolutely agree with SoftShoe that luck is the biggest factor, even more so in comps with such a limited hunting time. Generally I think that success in this game mainly depends on luck and playing time - and experience or "skill" (whatever that's supposed to be) doesn't really matter a lot. It's a bit like Poker - with knowledge and experience you can have an advantage over others in the long run, but statistically it only shows after hundreds or even thousands of hours. My 2 cts. :P
Image Image Image
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Tanngnjostr wrote:... A heavy weight doesn't really guarantee a big score. ...
No kidding?! I found that, for 100-th time, yesterday after i chased a heavy buck for 30 minutes. Here is the result: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jack ... /601134693
Spoiler:

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

JackRbbt wrote:No kidding?! I found that, for 100-th time, yesterday after i chased a heavy buck for 30 minutes. Here is the result: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jack ... /601134693
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There used to be a table in the wiki showing the correlation between weight and score - I think it's not too good for whitetail deer.

Ah, found it: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Scoring
Image Image Image
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I haven't had much luck with those heavy tracks myself. They never seem to pan out for me. Not for antlered animals anyway.

Edit: I came across a heavy moose track a while back. When I harvested this thing I think it weighed 619kg but only scored like 130. I don't recall what it was exactly, I'd have to look it up.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
JackRbbt wrote:No kidding?! I found that, for 100-th time, yesterday after i chased a heavy buck for 30 minutes. Here is the result: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jack ... /601134693
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There used to be a table in the wiki showing the correlation between weight and score - I think it's not too good for whitetail deer.

Ah, found it: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Scoring
Weights mean nothing for WT. I have tracked hundreds of 85-100s, and the AVERAGE score is somewhere around 120. You have to field score them. But even that is bogus. I know what a good rack looks like. Lying prone in the tall grass is not good for counting points or height of those points. You just have to have a gut feeling from the spot you make. If you shoot long distance with a rifle, it's a lot easier with the spotting scope, as opposed to stalking for a bow shot.

As a comparison, weight does mean a lot for BT. The high end on the weight spot must be 95 to cross the EW curtain to 190+, and the high end score spot must be 210 or more.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Competitions”