Opening Day!

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Nathan112244
Hunter

Re: Opening Day!

Post by Nathan112244 »

wow my wt would.ve been 185 if i used my 30-30 :/ i was debating usuing it but wanted to make sure my deer was down so used my mosin
Nathan22Outdoors
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I was only able to get 2 hunts in. The first was a disappointment. Found my most promising track with less than 20 mins remaining. When I got close enough I heard a call about 100m out so I lay down some scent, find a place to post up and wait. 5 mins passes and still no buck with no additional calls. As I'm approaching the last known location I hear my buck run off and discovered a track where it had been snoozing. By this point time is running out. I catch up to my buck with less than 2 mins remaining. It spots me, I take a shot, drop it in it's tracks and harvest it with about 30 seconds left only to discover it only scores 132.995 :roll: Got lucky on the second hunt. Strolling along I hear a call, lure it to my position and as it emerges from it's cover I see the nice rack it has on it. I take it out and I end up waiting for about 10 mins to pass just to be safe to pass the 45 minute minimum time. Nice comp SS. I guess the time caught some of us off guard. I checked this morning expecting to have another day and see I have just under 7 hrs left to get my hunts in. Nice concept, Thanks for hosting!
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
Conch
Scout

Post by Conch »

I am an airhead. Thought it started today and ended tomorrow and I was really looking forward to this one! Congrats to the winners and all that participated. I am very jealous!!! :cry:
"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it" - Fred Bear

Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Conch wrote:I am an airhead. Thought it started today and ended tomorrow and I was really looking forward to this one! Congrats to the winners and all that participated. I am very jealous!!! :cry:
Maybe our fine host (SoftShoe) could host one like this with a different name like " Opening Day (Shotgun Season) " or maybe bow season. and maybe there could be similar rules but with shotguns or maybe something like we have 2 tags instead of one and its out 2 biggest out of 3 or 4 hunts. :) now THAT would be a fun comp
Nathan22Outdoors
Extort713
Tracker

Post by Extort713 »

Nathan112244 wrote:
Conch wrote:I am an airhead. Thought it started today and ended tomorrow and I was really looking forward to this one! Congrats to the winners and all that participated. I am very jealous!!! :cry:
Maybe our fine host (SoftShoe) could host one like this with a different name like " Opening Day (Shotgun Season) " or maybe bow season. and maybe there could be similar rules but with shotguns or maybe something like we have 2 tags instead of one and its out 2 biggest out of 3 or 4 hunts. :) now THAT would be a fun comp
I think Muzzleloader Season personally. Usually rifles/shotguns are tied together in the general gun season, at least down here in FL.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Well guys the comp is over. I am going to wait 1 more hour in the unlikely event someone hasnt made a last min submission before I announce the winners. I think those occupying the top 3 slots pretty well have it in the bag though. Congrats to them!

It is my hope you enjoyed this comp & the challanges it offered. I felt it was a significant divergence from the way we typically play Classic (kill them all) that it would prove interesting. With this hunt you had to truly hunt, picking & choosing which animal you are going to take adds a real dynamic element.
Most of the comps here favor those with allot of extra time on their hands. Lets face it, being successful in this game is a function of time & luck. Sooner or later you are going to stumble into a big one. By taking away that time all you are left with is luck & that is something every hunter rolls the dice with every time he takes to the field.
Nathan112244 wrote:
You can expect more comps in the future from me along these very same lines. From my experience hunting it ( I was only able to make 2 attempts) I think 2hrs real time is a smidgen to short. On my 1st attempt I didnt see my 1st decent (85-100kg) buck until there was 30min left in the hunt (15min real time) so there really wasnt the opportunity to pass on him & keep looking for a better one. 2nd attempt I got skunked, didnt see anything better than a 130ish buck.

Once again I would like to apologize for not making it abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal. You can expect to have this very same rule on future comps of mine (with the exception of the upcoming memorial hunt).

HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

It was a fast and fun comp. Thanks, SoftShoe for hosting.
I couldn't use my last attempt but I find my 171.850 WT Buck in the first 15 minutes of my first attempt! :D
Sadly, I couldn't catch the heart because he wasn't completely broadsided. With the bonus, my score would be 180.442 and I will go to third place!
But that's all fine! I had a really fun time on this comp.

And congrats to the winners. :)
Season Stats
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Opening Day is officially over!
After meeting up to admire each others trophies there are whistles of amazement & nods with people muttering "That'll make some good eating!" (the polite thing to say to someone with a small buck).

The leader board stands as shown. Congrats to Franek12 on his 184.448 buck! He also took that beaut with a 30-30 so gets the bonus as well. Codes for 2500 em$ have been sent to him via the in game IM system.

Congrats to Lowby on his 181.972. putting him in 2nd place. A code for 1000 em$ has been sent to him via in game IM.

Also congrats to Seifer. His 177.799 buck would have put him in 4th place but the heart shot he landed nudged him into 3rd. A code for 500 em$ has been sent to him via in game IM.

Congrats to the winners! Hope that everyone enjoyed this comp, for the rest of you... MMmmm MMMMM! You got some good eatin there! :D

Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

ahhahahah thats the best thing ive ever read
Nathan22Outdoors
lowby
Outfitter

Post by lowby »

Did not expect that :D Have to say did not think I would like the 1 animal per attempt rule but I found I was paying alot more attention to how the racks looked knowing that I could only harvest 1 and kinda enjoyed it. Great and fun comp SoftShoe.

Return to “Competitions”