Spawn mashing solutions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Spawn mashing solutions

Post by DYEUZ »

BCKidd wrote:If you have more than on short hunt, and do it again, and again, that to me is SM. One thing I thought about and even threw it at Tod in one of my community comps, some time ago, was this: if you go onto a reserve where a community hunt is taking place and you go onto it for only a few short minutes, then you should not be allowed to go back onto that reserve for a minimum amount of time, a cool down period of say 30 mins, then you can go back to that reserve and continue your hunt- this ofc would be for community comps only. That is the closest I have ever come to solving SM. I agree there has to be a hard line taken, and it has to happen sooner than later. My community comps always seem to end up with one form of SM or another. I think if a competitor, goes onto a reserve and only stays a short-while they should not be allowed back onto that reserve again until a cool down period has expired. Not sure it is an answer to the everlasting problem of SM, but maybe since this thread has been started, like Ridgeback says, maybe jus' maybe we can find a solution. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
So, what you are saying , is , like it was mentioned couple post before about equipment setups , if i go to change some equipment and do so for 5-10 minutes, i will not be able to go hunt there , immediately after , and will need to wait 30 minutes ?

Also, what if i'm a member of another site , hunting club and want to hunt in the same reserve as the one i'm in for the comp . How will this be viewed ,if i do small hunt there ?

I say , lets make the players responsible for their way of hunting . Lets make them respect the host , the comp, the rules , rather than make , time limit consequences , limited attempts and so on .
Once you've been DQ from a hosted comp because of SM, you'll be respectful next time . Unless your Homer Simpson .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

DYEUZ wrote:So, what you are saying , is , like it was mentioned couple post before about equipment setups , if i go to change some equipment and do so for 5-10 minutes, i will not be able to go hunt there , immediately after , and will need to wait 30 minutes ?

Also, what if i'm a member of another site , hunting club and want to hunt in the same reserve as the one i'm in for the comp . How will this be viewed ,if i do small hunt there ?
But isn't it better to have the opportunity to do short hunts with a little "cooldown" period than not having the option at all? With the rule we're having right now, no one ever knows if his behavior is considered spawn mashing or not. How many short hunts and disconnects do I still have left before I'm considered a spawn masher? As a host I find that a tough decision too.

With the rule that BCKidd suggests, spawn mashing is pretty much an ineffective strategy, but the price for every participant is rather small and you keep most of your flexibility.
Image Image Image
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: Marc... I guess , it would be good to see , how restrictive it could be to the '' normal '' players . But then again , a normal player would probably never have that cool-down timer right ?
( Normal , means , players that play normally without any SM intentions ever .)

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

DYEUZ wrote:But then again , a normal player would probably never have that cool-down timer right ?
He would get it if he had a crash within the first 30 minutes of a hunt - which is not good, but the prize we might have to pay to have a concise anti-SM rule.

Otherwise, if he wants to move equipment or do just a quick hunt for fun, he could plan ahead. Do it before taking a break anyway. Move your stands, get a snack, come back after 30 minutes and start to compete... something like this!

Don't forget: Once the hunt reaches 30 (or 60, depending on the rules the host sets) minutes, you can quit it and restart instantly. The cooldown timer only applies to hunts that are shorter. I'd prefer 30 minutes by the way. Should be enough to deter successive mashing hunts.
Image Image Image
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: Marc ... Makes sense in the end , i guess . Thx Marc .

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
DYEUZ wrote:But then again , a normal player would probably never have that cool-down timer right ?
He would get it if he had a crash within the first 30 minutes of a hunt - which is not good, but the prize we might have to pay to have a concise anti-SM rule.

Otherwise, if he wants to move equipment or do just a quick hunt for fun, he could plan ahead. Do it before taking a break anyway. Move your stands, get a snack, come back after 30 minutes and start to compete... something like this!

Don't forget: Once the hunt reaches 30 (or 60, depending on the rules the host sets) minutes, you can quit it and restart instantly. The cooldown timer only applies to hunts that are shorter. I'd prefer 30 minutes by the way. Should be enough to deter successive mashing hunts.
Yes, that is how I think it should be. Putting the rule to the test, is the only way we'll ever know if it works. Ofc, I'm sure there would be a lot of refining, but in the end I think it should work. It does put a bit more work on the hosts, but I think is well worth the effort. We shall see... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

BCKidd wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:

Yes, that is how I think it should be. Putting the rule to the test, is the only way we'll ever know if it works. Ofc, I'm sure there would be a lot of refining, but in the end I think it should work. It does put a bit more work on the hosts, but I think is well worth the effort. We shall see... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
This is a rule I can get behind. but I do have a couple of question and depending on the answer I may have one more.

If I was to go into a hunt to collect or move equipment. For the sake of this question it takes me 15 minutes and there is a 30 minute rule in effect would I then need to wait 15 minutes before starting another hunt or would it be 30 minutes?

If there is a 1 hour rule in effect shouldn't the penalty be 60 minutes?

If going into a reserve that is not part of the comp would it also bring about this penalty?
Spoiler:
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

DYEUZ wrote: I say , lets make the players responsible for their way of hunting . Lets make them respect the host , the comp, the rules , rather than make , time limit consequences , limited attempts and so on .
Once you've been DQ from a hosted comp because of SM, you'll be respectful next time . Unless your Homer Simpson .
The problem is you can't leave it to players for one simple reason. Those who don't win find reasons to point a finger.

I have been DQ'ed from a comp for testing a patch that broke boar feeders mid comp, I did 10 odd hunts purely to see if any boars showed up, after posting that I think they are now broken. I spotted and tracked no animals and posted a bug report. However it didn't take 30mins for someone to complain and I was DQ'ed without even being asked whats up. And funny enough, boar feeders remained broken for almost 2 years until the new feeder system was released.

I have done SM to level spotting skills, but hardly ever for competitions and never for events. Not even during the Holiday event i won where almost all the top players resorted to it.

The only way SM is prevented is with clear boundaries.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

RidgeBack69 wrote:
BCKidd wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote: He would get it if he had a crash within the first 30 minutes of a hunt - which is not good, but the prize we might have to pay to have a concise anti-SM rule.

BCKidd.
This is a rule I can get behind. but I do have a couple of question and depending on the answer I may have one more.

If I was to go into a hunt to collect or move equipment. For the sake of this question it takes me 15 minutes and there is a 30 minute rule in effect would I then need to wait 15 minutes before starting another hunt or would it be 30 minutes?

If going into a reserve that is not part of the comp would it also bring about this penalty?
Nothing?
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

RidgeBack69 wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:
BCKidd wrote:

BCKidd.

Nothing?
Sorry Ridgeback, I didn't quite get this far yet. I think it should be 30 minutes, where a species for any specific community comp could be harvested.

I think 30 minutes would suffice, but I guess it could be up to any host. It isn't to deter folks from participating in community comps, rather too lessen SM attempts. Besides if you are moving equipment etc, why not jus' continue with a decent hunt? Or is there something about moving equipment that doesn't allow folks to hunt. :?

I would say 'no' to reserves that aren't used in community comps, there shouldn't be a penalty for that. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “Competitions”