Spawn mashing solutions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Re: Spawn mashing solutions

Post by RidgeBack69 »

DYEUZ wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:
DYEUZ wrote:... Yes, a DQ from comp automated button. That would tell all the offenders need to know . Then , if used again , a second time , towards this same player , even if used by another host , in another comp , it would become a ban .
I'm not for a three strikes and your out solution, this aint baseball.
IMO Auto-Ban should never be used.
ME , I am talking about DQ , not ban at first offense .
Not that I don't agree with you but a ban should not be automated simply because it is a harsh punishment and should be thought about before imposing one.
Now as a host if you want to ban someone from your comps for breaking your rules multiple times that is your call to make and I would never disagree with you on it be it automated or not. But a cross comp ban should not be.

I think the only ones that should be able to administer a cross comp bans are UHC.
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

J_Birdman

the point is this is getting bigger and bigger thread.so someone may see this. think whatever is in th thread is a great idea. apply it to the game.official competitions.it happens . you see someone make a suggestion a few of the right people back it then it becomes reality.the thing is its not always the right move.some of the suggestions in here could have a massive impact on gameplay.

some of the best parts of this game have been ruined by similar ideas.id rather say something now than see it implemented.once the wrong idea or game play addition is in it generally stays in.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

ronMctube wrote:J_Birdman

the point is this is getting bigger and bigger thread.so someone may see this. think whatever is in th thread is a great idea. apply it to the game.official competitions.it happens . you see someone make a suggestion a few of the right people back it then it becomes reality.the thing is its not always the right move.some of the suggestions in here could have a massive impact on gameplay.

some of the best parts of this game have been ruined by similar ideas.id rather say something now than see it implemented.once the wrong idea or game play addition is in it generally stays in.
I see what your are pointing out, Ron, and it is a very good point out too. I would never want EW to change their comps due to some ideas, that folks are tossing around regarding community comps. But, you are right, they may see something like this and implement it in official competitions. In that way ruin game play. I don't think EW would ever do that, but who knows. This discussion tho', I think is really needed- not for EW's Official Comps, but for "community comps." We can only hope that EW would not change their competition rules. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

ronMctube wrote:J_Birdman

I'm still not understanding why the EW comps are being brought into this thread in as big a way as they have when the OP specifically created this thread to talk about the player-hosted comps. Exactly what idea(s) have been suggested in this thread which you believe would impact the game in a negative, or even positive, way? The only negative idea I've seen so far was the one posted by yourself about the removal of tent use and fast travel for comps. Maybe I really missed the boat and you were instead saying that EW might remove tents and/or fast travel in comps by looking at this thread, and that you would be against such a change? In my opinion, the EW comp system is already far below par, to say it as politely as I'm allowed here. Maybe they can learn a thing or two by witnessing how great and fun and rewarding the player-hosted comps are. But I digress, enough about EW, this thread is for player-hosted comps and I hope the Mods here make sure it stays on topic.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i explained it.how can you have a thread about spawn mashing solutions and not mention the route cause ? it doesnt matter if its player hosted comps or official comps.spawn mashing is mainly from tents.fast travelling to locations.i suggested the ideas to stop the biggest cause of the topic title.how is it negative ? people are talking about spawn mashing in a negative and the main cause is tents so remove tents or fast travel = positive true hunts. i dont get how you cant undertstand this. anyone who understands how spawn mashing works will understand this.

the only thing is i warn about people not considering the after effect.ideas have been put forward before.ruined some aspects of gameplay.certain people can say things and they will be noted and maybe come reality.thats where you have to be clear of what you are wanting.once gameplay mechanics are changed and applied unless there is a monetary value in changing them again it wont be changed ! you are stuck with them.

this is a topic about player hosted comps but when people look at player hosted comps as more fun or more realistic what do think will probably happen ? the changes will come to make the official comps more " better".

its common sense. no need to get all twisted up.think logically. if the mods are gunna remove the post for not on topic do so.if it is removed id be surprised as its the most relevant post to do with spawn mashing probably in the thread.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

I see no reason to remove anyone's post in this topic.
I official comps already have a attempt limit on them or most of them anyhow. What was the reason that attempt limits were introduces into official competitions?

And yes I started this thread to open a forum to brain storm some issues that have been happening in the community comps. was it really a issue that happened often not really and when it did the hosts and UHC staff took care of it in a swift fashion.

I understand Ron's concern but I also do not think EW would want to change the tents or fast traveling in comps because it would more than likely effect sale in a negative way.

Maybe a Mod could Change the title to reflect that is about Community Comp Spawn Mashing Solutions.
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

@Ron, I get that about tents but here's what I would say - Tents aren't going to go away. Now what could be done, is you could start at any tent you wanted but start the 30min clock as if you had just FT there and WALLA! And that could be the simplest solution. then it becomes a 30min spawn mashing affair- most of the community comps have had that 30min minimum in the rules, some longer but most the 30min thing to prevent 10- 5 minutes hunts. Since there's no way to detect a FT with the summary data it would take this change on EW's part - Not that we couldn't lobby for it but it's a solution to some extent. People would just wait the 30 and FT and do the same thing so now they are 35min hunts~ idk~ it's a toughy.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Radamus wrote:@Ron, I get that about tents but here's what I would say - Tents aren't going to go away. Now what could be done, is you could start at any tent you wanted but start the 30min clock as if you had just FT there and WALLA! And that could be the simplest solution. then it becomes a 30min spawn mashing affair- most of the community comps have had that 30min minimum in the rules, some longer but most the 30min thing to prevent 10- 5 minutes hunts. Since there's no way to detect a FT with the summary data it would take this change on EW's part - Not that we couldn't lobby for it but it's a solution to some extent. People would just wait the 30 and FT and do the same thing so now they are 35min hunts~ idk~ it's a toughy.
When we start a game, no matter whether at a lodge or a tent, I don't think we should be able to FT for 30 RT minutes. It seems like an oversight on the developers' part to me. Is there a real good reason for it that I'm overlooking? Also, as Ron said, I think FT to a tent after death should be disabled, but allowed back to the lodges. This is just another loophole for exploitation IMO. And starting a hunt at a tent, or arriving via FT, should be like firing a weapon.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

ronMctube wrote:i explained it.how can you have a thread about spawn mashing solutions and not mention the route cause ? it doesnt matter if its player hosted comps or official comps.spawn mashing is mainly from tents.fast travelling to locations.i suggested the ideas to stop the biggest cause of the topic title.how is it negative ? people are talking about spawn mashing in a negative and the main cause is tents so remove tents or fast travel = positive true hunts. i dont get how you cant undertstand this. anyone who understands how spawn mashing works will understand this.

the only thing is i warn about people not considering the after effect.ideas have been put forward before.ruined some aspects of gameplay.certain people can say things and they will be noted and maybe come reality.thats where you have to be clear of what you are wanting.once gameplay mechanics are changed and applied unless there is a monetary value in changing them again it wont be changed ! you are stuck with them.

this is a topic about player hosted comps but when people look at player hosted comps as more fun or more realistic what do think will probably happen ? the changes will come to make the official comps more " better".

its common sense. no need to get all twisted up.think logically. if the mods are gunna remove the post for not on topic do so.if it is removed id be surprised as its the most relevant post to do with spawn mashing probably in the thread.
I've re-re-read your first four posts in this thread(first one at pg 6), and I now fully understand this..

You saw a thread about spawn-mashing, you started reading it, and you didn't fully comprehend that it was specifically for player-hosted comps before reading more of it. The more you read, the more excited you got because the fear of possible change hit you, and you feared that the open discussion here could lead to actual changes in the EW comp system. Heheheh hey it's cool man, you like the EW comps and don't want to see them harmed, I understand and appreciate that completely, and trust me I too have got caught up in the moment from time to time! But some players like competing in player-hosted comps, and that's what this thread is about.

Now here's what I still don't understand, how you yourself suggested the removal of tents and fast travel in comps in this thread, which is certainly nowhere even near a small suggestion lol. Oh man, I think just about every single comp player in the game would lose their sh*t, it would be a huge deal! lol. Yet in your further posts you expressed your belief that the player-hosted comps community should be wary of EW when it comes to openly discussing thoughts and ideas to help make player-hosted comps better, at least when it comes to the spawn-mashing issue. That's ..really odd to me. You think that our ideas and solutions might be good and could possibly entice more of the general playerbase to stop playing in EW's comps and/or participate in both comp systems, which might then entice EW to make changes to the official comps/system in order to make them better/more appealing, which could then ruin the official EW comp system.. for some? all? I don't know what else to say to this other than, yay? Win/win? For EW, for the player-hosted comps community, for the game's playerbase at large, and for the game itself? It's my honest belief that the majority of players who enjoy the current official comps/system are those who are either new and thus ignorant of the issues involved with them or those that have been playing for ages and take full advantage of the way things are. Don't get me wrong, those players' game knowledge is vast and they've earned their trophies, in whichever way EW sees fit, including the spawnmashing which is allowed to a degree using the limited attempts feature. I do not disparage these well-seasoned players(cough!), but personally I think and hope that EW addresses the comp system at some point, the sooner the better. I would be down for a complete overhaul top to bottom. Sorry to those who disagree with me but that's my view and I don't see a downside. If it were to happen, whatever the outcome after all the dust has settled, there would still at least be one really great comp system in place, and quite possibly two. I'm not exactly an EW fanatic, some of you may know me a little by now hah, but I must say that they've done some pretty good work fairly recently with re-vamping systems within the game and in this stage of its life, like the baiting system for example(which was a direct result of Bear Fiasco #1), or creating new systems such as the lodges and taxidermy, including several other sub-features which were asked for and are steadily being implemented into the game like gun racks, the lodge styles, small bird wall mounts, soon the ability to place our own in-game pics into the frames, not to mention entire new lodges like the Tropical. I wouldn't call myself an optimist but I wouldn't call myself a pessimist either, I think there's still room for hope. If such a change were to occur in the EW comps/sytem and it was to your disliking, would you place blame? If so, who would you blame? EW? The player-hosted comps community? This thread? The person who created it? The people who took part in the discussion, even though the heaviest suggestion posted so far in this thread was from yourself? Lol, see how it's a bit confusing? Glad we're talking about it, but please don't say that I'm "all twisted up" again. Sad to derail the thread any further though, it seems to be a natural side-effect or occurrence when one attempts to prevent a derail, but still, apologies. I'm done with the current train of thought, say what ya like Ron, have at it and happy hunting!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

ronMctube wrote:this is a topic about player hosted comps but when people look at player hosted comps as more fun or more realistic what do think will probably happen ? the changes will come to make the official comps more " better".
I understand what you're saying but the solution isn't to stop striving to improve community competitions in case they end up being better than the official ones. There's always the risk that a developer will pick up on an idea and run with it, even if it doesn't suit everyone. Every thread in the thoughts and suggestions forum carries that risk. There have been plenty of decisions made over the years that have caused me to hold my head in my hands. It's frustrating and I often struggle with the lack of control, worrying about what the developers are going to do next with my beloved game.

You're worried the official competitions will change because it would affect your game and that's absolutely understandable. Nobody wants the game to turn into something they don't want. But this game is largely driven by community input and you can't apply caveats to the suggestion process to ensure no future changes affect existing content or mechanics. Nor can you stop new players from having the same influence over the game as people who played from the start.

I sat the other day thinking about how the Classic team contains none of the developers that were around when I joined in 2010, and I often worry that the company doesn't have the best interests of my game at heart. It's a horrible feeling to know that someone else has the power to change or take away something you care so deeply about. But the reality is none of us own this game, or have that much control over what happens to it. New faces join the team all the time, each of them with their own backgrounds and ideas.

People are never going to stop posting ideas, and for every idea you love, you can guarantee there will be much more that you hate. I see countless threads about getting more for free and I admit that I'm one of the forum members that has to speak up. But I know ultimately my responses are just to make me feel better and won't influence decisions one iota.

For what it's worth, I'm confident Expansive Worlds will never rock the boat and make huge changes to the competitions. I also doubt they will ever scrap tents or change the fast travel rules. It would be like asking a government to ban cigarettes.

Return to “Competitions”