Spawn mashing solutions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Spawn mashing solutions

Post by DYEUZ »

SoftShoe wrote:I knew there was a reason I liked you! :D
:lol: One of the very few !! :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

kevin2106 wrote:I think you all have defined SM very good so far in this thread. Here's two things i would like to add:

It should be some sort of way that you could be out of the competition for an hour or so if you are gonna move equipment around for example. You could argue that it should be done before the competition, but what if we want to change strategy that needs some equipment moving? or you just want to move some treestand around because your spots don't produce. I think there should be something that can make this possible, as when i move around equipment i personally use about 5-20 minutes, depending on a few factors of course. And a ton of these hunt where i jump around between reserves can easily look like spawn mashing. I had myself some hunts like that just today, 3 15-20 min hunts after another, might look like spawn mashing, but i was just moving equipment and randomly shot 4 animals that came in my way during that time.

There should IMO be a minimum time limit that marks the difference between a game you enter and see rain, and want to quit, and a SM session. I for example entered a game today in RFF, and it was ****** down as soon as i enetered, so i just quit right away. I then again started a MP hunt like i always do, and when i got in i wanted to edit my lodge a little bit. I then found out i can't edit my lodge in a MP game, so i had to restart. I then got into a SP game and edited my lodge, did what i wanted to, and when i was done i restarted again because i want to have a MP game open so people can join me. One of those hunt lasted 2 mins and the other 6 min. I'm not sure if spawn mashing in two minutes is possible, but i know the 6 min one can look like it. So there should be a 3 min rule maybe, you should be able to start a game and quit inside that time for your own reasons and not get accused for Spawn mashing.

Just my thoughts, not saying my opinion is the right one.
That could be as simple as posting the the comp thread your intention to move some equiment around.
SoftShoe wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote: That would be something that would need to de decided by the rule makers.
Exactly but the sad truth is... People lie. Someone SM could easily say "Oh I had a string of crashes". At what point do we draw the line? As DYEUZ said if it doesnt feel right. Is one way but there will be whining to high heaven & threats of "im going to uninstall this game" "see if EW gets another penny from me"...etc etc etc...

I used to be very competitive on iRacing which while being a VERY expensive online game also had the ability to win real money ($75k USD for the last championship). They had a hard line about their competitions & connectivity issues. If you DISCO its no ones fault but your own. Not only do you lose the race but your permanent standings will be adversely impacted.

IMO we need a similar hard line. If you have a string of problems, be forthright about it & notify the organizers. Its the people who remain silent & hope something doesnt get noticed you have to worry about.
I think i am haveing some trouble understanding if you are for a hard line on the rules or not. Some of your post seem to suggest that you are and other seem to suggest your not..
Last edited by RidgeBack69 on February 27th, 2018, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

RidgeBack69 wrote:That could be as simple as posting the the comp thread your intention to move some equiment around.
Sure, i know that. But you might want to move your equipment around a lot during the comp, and if everyone would make 10-15 posts about them going on an equipment moving session it would fill the thread up with a lot of "Junk" and could make important announces disappear in those posts. I'm just thinking that it would be nice to be able to turn it of for an hour, unless it would be a lot of work for Tod and David to make it possible on the UHCsite.

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

kevin2106 wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:That could be as simple as posting the the comp thread your intention to move some equiment around.
Sure, i know that. But you might want to move your equipment around a lot during the comp, and if everyone would make 10-15 posts about them going on an equipment moving session it would fill the thread up with a lot of "Junk" and could make important announces disappear in those posts. I'm just thinking that it would be nice to be able to turn it of for an hour, unless it would be a lot of work for Tod and David to make it possible on the UHCsite.
That could work well if it is something that could be or worth doing on UHCs end
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

kevin2106 wrote:I think you all have defined SM very good so far in this thread. Here's two things i would like to add:

It should be some sort of way that you could be out of the competition for an hour or so if you are gonna move equipment around for example. You could argue that it should be done before the competition, but what if we want to change strategy that needs some equipment moving? or you just want to move some treestand around because your spots don't produce. I think there should be something that can make this possible, as when i move around equipment i personally use about 5-20 minutes, depending on a few factors of course. And a ton of these hunt where i jump around between reserves can easily look like spawn mashing. I had myself some hunts like that just today, 3 15-20 min hunts after another, might look like spawn mashing, but i was just moving equipment and randomly shot 4 animals that came in my way during that time.

There should IMO be a minimum time limit that marks the difference between a game you enter and see rain, and want to quit, and a SM session. I for example entered a game today in RFF, and it was ****** down as soon as i enetered, so i just quit right away. I then again started a MP hunt like i always do, and when i got in i wanted to edit my lodge a little bit. I then found out i can't edit my lodge in a MP game, so i had to restart. I then got into a SP game and edited my lodge, did what i wanted to, and when i was done i restarted again because i want to have a MP game open so people can join me. One of those hunt lasted 2 mins and the other 6 min. I'm not sure if spawn mashing in two minutes is possible, but i know the 6 min one can look like it. So there should be a 3 min rule maybe, you should be able to start a game and quit inside that time for your own reasons and not get accused for Spawn mashing.

Just my thoughts, not saying my opinion is the right one.
In these cases , usually , there are no spotting of animals and no missed shots . Which is a big difference . When i need to move equipment , like you suggest, i do just that . You will see in the hunt history : km walked /ran , period . A really good example of '' working or practicing '' is one of my 8 minutes hunt in RFF. Target practicing the long bow . 0.23 km / 10 arrows used ( yes ,
they counted because i needed to be off the shooting area ) . In these cases , the host , if he understands what he's looking at , will conclude that its not SM .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

If you have more than on short hunt, and do it again, and again, that to me is SM. One thing I thought about and even threw it at Tod in one of my community comps, some time ago, was this: if you go onto a reserve where a community hunt is taking place and you go onto it for only a few short minutes, then you should not be allowed to go back onto that reserve for a minimum amount of time, a cool down period of say 30 mins, then you can go back to that reserve and continue your hunt- this ofc would be for community comps only. That is the closest I have ever come to solving SM. I agree there has to be a hard line taken, and it has to happen sooner than later. My community comps always seem to end up with one form of SM or another. I think if a competitor, goes onto a reserve and only stays a short-while they should not be allowed back onto that reserve again until a cool down period has expired. Not sure it is an answer to the everlasting problem of SM, but maybe since this thread has been started, like Ridgeback says, maybe jus' maybe we can find a solution. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

I think a lot of it comes down to the host. The host can make the rules however he sees fit, and that is fair. For example I know that in BC's comp he was discouraged because of all the SM. So since the person creating the comp is the host they can make their rules. If people don't like them they don't have to compete. So for example if I am host, I can say that there will not be ANY hunt under a half hour. If there are it will result in immediate disqualification. Now I personally think that is slightly extreme but you get the point. I think in the end it is up to each host. My .02 ;)
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Here's the problem - you go soft for 4 or 5 people *just as an arbitrary example pulled from thin air" .... there's 25 other's who feel "here we go again with the same old BS but we have to keep our mouths shut"
btw- I'm not a soccer person but in the last 24 hours I've heard a lot about a yellow card and red card analogies - what's that mean? I know there's a big international following for kick-ball but is that something that might be considered as a tool, for tools?
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Radamus wrote:I'm not a soccer person but in the last 24 hours I've heard a lot about a yellow card and red card analogies - what's that mean?
I was thinking about that too. In soccer a yellow card means that you are warned. A red card means you are kicked out of the game. Now with that being said these comps are not soccer. There is a different set of rules here. I agree that rules need to be crystal clear and then that is it. No compromise, nothing.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

BCKidd wrote:One thing I thought about and even threw it at Tod in one of my community comps, some time ago, was this: if you go onto a reserve where a community hunt is taking place and you go onto it for only a few short minutes, then you should not be allowed to go back onto that reserve for a minimum amount of time, a cool down period of say 30 mins, then you can go back to that reserve and continue your hunt- this ofc would be for community comps only.
This is the solution that I favor myself. After having any short hunt (<30 minutes), you should have a cooldown period on any reserve before you can hunt for the competition again. This way you could move equipment, do a quick mission, hunt for an official competition - do whatever you like! You just have to wait a bit before you can hunt for the community competition again. Any possible advantage of spawn mashing would quickly be lost this way and people just couldn't do it effectively. But still the punishment for a short hunt (be it intentional or due to a crash) wouldn't be too harsh.
I would really favor this solution since it's clear and fair in my opinion - and I guess it would even be possible to do with UHC?
Image Image Image

Return to “Competitions”