Elk Steak competition

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
RabbitEast

Elk Steak competition

Post by RabbitEast »

Hi,

I just wanted to understand this competition setup better. The description says "The average of your 3 highest scoring Rocky Mountain Elk harvested with any crossbow is your entry. Heart and/or lungs must be hit. Highest average score wins", which my understanding is crossbow is the weapon to use, heart must be hit, lungs is opional.
If my understanding of the description is correct, then the system seems weird as it doesn't take score from the heart and lung shot but take score from lung shot only. However, the system does take scores from heart and lung shots too, just not on every Elk kill...
So, is this for lung shots is a must and heart shot is optional thing?
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Elk Steak competition

Post by Tanngnjostr »

This means that you need to hit at least the heart or one of the lungs for the animal to count. If any one of these three organs is hit, your animal is fine for the competition. Other organs can be hit too (otherwise it would have said "Heart and/or lungs only"). So: Heart and both lungs will count just as much as a single lung. What doesn't count is intestines, brain, spine or body shot without hitting heart and/or lungs.
Image Image Image
RabbitEast

Post by RabbitEast »

Thanks for the reply. What you mention is my understanding too. Which means the score system is weird then, because it didnt take my score for heart and lung shot on a few occasion, but took my score for lung shot only Elk. Anyway, thanks again for the clarification. I will try again once the rotation of the competition is up again. As i enjoy this kind of competition, so i will likely try again. :)
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

Tanngnjostr wrote:This means that you need to hit at least the heart or one of the lungs for the animal to count. If any one of these three organs is hit, your animal is fine for the competition. Other organs can be hit too (otherwise it would have said "Heart and/or lungs only"). So: Heart and both lungs will count just as much as a single lung. What doesn't count is intestines, brain, spine or body shot without hitting heart and/or lungs.
as far as i know, even when you hit lungs/heart you must not hit any other part (shoulder blade f.e.). its lung and/or heart only
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Granti wrote:as far as i know, even when you hit lungs/heart you must not hit any other part (shoulder blade f.e.). its lung and/or heart only
I couldn't see the competition on the webpage since it's not running atm and I've never participated in it, but if you're right, then the description should be changed to "only heart and/or lungs must be hit" in my opinion. Because there are comps (often in events) that allow other organs too as long as you hit heart or lungs.
Image Image Image
Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

Granti wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:This means that you need to hit at least the heart or one of the lungs for the animal to count. If any one of these three organs is hit, your animal is fine for the competition. Other organs can be hit too (otherwise it would have said "Heart and/or lungs only"). So: Heart and both lungs will count just as much as a single lung. What doesn't count is intestines, brain, spine or body shot without hitting heart and/or lungs.
as far as i know, even when you hit lungs/heart you must not hit any other part (shoulder blade f.e.). its lung and/or heart only
The one time I tried this comp. My experience was that it was heart/lung only. Seems like all the new Elk comps have a lot of specific conditions i.e no stands,no scopes, heart/lung only, with only a few being score or weight only.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

@RabbitEast: Judging from the other replies it seems I have been wrong (and the description of the competition if you ask me). So the reason why some of your harvests didn't count could have been that you hit other organs too. Also, be aware that comps with organ requirements usually only allow one shot at the animal.
Image Image Image
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
Granti wrote:as far as i know, even when you hit lungs/heart you must not hit any other part (shoulder blade f.e.). its lung and/or heart only
I couldn't see the competition on the webpage since it's not running atm and I've never participated in it, but if you're right, then the description should be changed to "only heart and/or lungs must be hit" in my opinion. Because there are comps (often in events) that allow other organs too as long as you hit heart or lungs.
i just checked the scores from the one time i participated and its defintly a lung/heart only. one of the bulls with a better scoring than the sum of the average three that counted towards the comp was a lung + shoulder blade. and the scoring of the lung/hearts only of the next three best bulls add up perfectly. so yes, should be changed.
RabbitEast

Post by RabbitEast »

Yes. I just double checked mine as well. Only heart and lung shots without other parts counted. That verifies my confusion. Next rotation i will only hit the heart/lungs shot. Thanks again for everyone's reply. :)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I submitted a bug report, maybe some dev finds the time to change this and avoid confusion in the future, shouldn't be too much work I guess. Thanks for double checking, Granti and RabbitEast.
Image Image Image

Return to “Competitions”