Competitions [PM about joining competitions on http://www.thehunter.ga]

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
User avatar
BCKidd
Trophy Hunter
Posts: 5104
Joined: January 6th, 2012, 2:15 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Competitions

Postby BCKidd » November 6th, 2017, 6:35 pm

JackRbbt wrote:1 - .GA is is the country code top-level domain for Gabon. Nothing to do with "game". But, yes, registration for this domain is free.
2 - This topic was created by someone who was spammed, so some investigations and eventual actions are highly required, Tod. Thanks for taking this on your capable hands.
3 - What really bothers me (and i write this perfectly knowing that i may be banned) is that someone forcibly advertise for a site where sponsorship are [u]requested [/u](see the screenshot above). This is not in the spirit of this community and should not be accepted or tolerated.

Upon a search, i found this paragraph in the Code of Conduct:
Advertising
Advertisements are not allowed. By "advertisements" we mean unnecessary and excessive links to sites members are affiliated with, as well as solicitations or items for sale . Generally speaking, posts made specifically for the promotion of a website, product or service are considered advertising or, at least, posts made that unnecessarily send people to a website that you are in some way affiliated with. It does not matter if it is a commercial website, a personal website, a non profit website, etc.


No, hosts should not be asking for sponsorship- I agree. That is like saying "Can I take you out to dinner?- You buy". Makes no sense. And it shouldn't be allowed at all. Sponsorship's are given not asked for. It is the responsibility of comp hosts to fund their own comps. Then if someone wishes to sponsor said comp, they can. But to blatantly advertise comps looking for sponsors- doesn't sit right with me. There have been conversations on the forum when the UHC site became available that a possible "Sponsor Comp" button would be nice. The host(s) of comps tho' would ofc be responsible for the comp prizes, and the "Sponsor Comp" button could be used by a sponsor of any one particular comp- this idea is not the same as asking or advertising for sponsor-ship. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

This Seasons Stats

"Patience and perseverance are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
User avatar
Ak76
Spotter
Posts: 57
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Re: Competitions

Postby Ak76 » November 6th, 2017, 6:43 pm

BCKidd wrote:No, hosts should not be asking for sponsorship- I agree. That is like saying "Can I take you out to dinner?- You buy". Makes no sense. And it shouldn't be allowed at all. Sponsorship's are given not asked for. It is the responsibility of comp hosts to fund their own comps. Then if someone wishes to sponsor said comp, they can. But to blatantly advertise comps looking for sponsors- doesn't sit right with me. There have been conversations on the forum when the UHC site became available that a possible "Sponsor Comp" button would be nice. The host(s) of comps tho' would ofc be responsible for the comp prizes, and the "Sponsor Comp" button could be used by a sponsor of any one particular comp- this idea is not the same as asking or advertising for sponsor-ship. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

I respect your opinion.
But I do not see anything terrible in that the host organizes and sponsors some part of the competition.
I do not force anyone to be a sponsor. If someone wants - welcome!
Regards,
{ Sorry my English }
«Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war» (Napoleon Bonaparte, 1812)
User avatar
RidgeBack69
Outfitter
Posts: 1329
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Competitions

Postby RidgeBack69 » November 6th, 2017, 6:54 pm

The solution is simple remove the link to his own site and link the comp directly to the UHC Apps page for his comp. Just like everyone else that has used it on the forums has done.
User avatar
Ak76
Spotter
Posts: 57
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Re: Competitions

Postby Ak76 » November 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Guys, I understand that now everyone who has not liked the competition will write here and offers different things just to try to "upset" me.
All I do is for the community.
There is no benefit to me from this personally.
It's just a hobby.
Once again I will repeat that I treat everything with humor and will always answer with dignity and smile.
Relax and compete with me or with other hosts - it does not matter!
Good luck to all!
Regards,
{ Sorry my English }
«Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war» (Napoleon Bonaparte, 1812)
User avatar
RidgeBack69
Outfitter
Posts: 1329
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Competitions

Postby RidgeBack69 » November 7th, 2017, 9:46 am

First understand I did not leave your comp because of the rules! I in general did not have a problem with them. I left your comp because of your poor attitude towards the people in this community that started with your second post you ever made.

Second: I have a questions for you?
Why do you have a link to your own sight instead of the rules and comp info posted in the forums like every one else has done?
Effectively forcing anyone that may want to enter your comp to go to your site just to get the information about it. Is it to drive traffic from here to your site?
User avatar
Ak76
Spotter
Posts: 57
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Re: Competitions

Postby Ak76 » November 7th, 2017, 10:14 am

RidgeBack69 wrote:Why do you have a link to your own sight instead of the rules and comp info posted in the forums like every one else has done?

My rules are based on the experience of the competitions in which I participated and analyzed what is happening.
I already wrote this - I think that all hosts must create different competitions with their original rules, and not do everything according to the template, then it will be interesting.

RidgeBack69 wrote:Effectively forcing anyone that may want to enter your comp to go to your site just to get the information about it. Is it to drive traffic from here to your site?

1. Placing competitions on my site, I can make them more attractive (forum tools do not allow it).
2. I can collect the statistics of attendance of the page of the competition in the period of its holding and understand, for example, whether the period was chosen correctly is to make the competitions shorter or longer, etc.
3. Incoming to my site you can see information about other planned competitions and search for sponsors. I do not think that host = sponsor. There are people who want to be a sponsor, but they are not interested in doing the routine of organizing the competition.
4. This site is faceless. You do not see the information on him about his belonging.
If you want to make your competition on it - no problem, I'll help you with the design - this competition will carry your name and the name of the sponsors (mine will not be in it)
5. etc.

I hope for your understanding!
Regards,
{ Sorry my English }
«Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war» (Napoleon Bonaparte, 1812)
User avatar
RidgeBack69
Outfitter
Posts: 1329
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Competitions

Postby RidgeBack69 » November 7th, 2017, 10:31 am

I think you misunderstood the question.

Rules are your to implement how you see fit. I am not questioning the rules or why you made them the way you did.

My question is why not have the rules and comp info posted on the forums in the thread for your comp with or without the link to your site so one could read the information and decide if thy want to enter or not without the need to go to your site to see this information?
User avatar
Ak76
Spotter
Posts: 57
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Re: Competitions

Postby Ak76 » November 7th, 2017, 10:42 am

RidgeBack69 wrote:I think you misunderstood the question.

Rules are your to implement how you see fit. I am not questioning the rules or why you made them the way you did.

My question is why not have the rules and comp info posted on the forums in the thread for your comp with or without the link to your site so one could read the information and decide if thy want to enter or not without the need to go to your site to see this information?

The answer to this question is present in the second part of my previous post.
If the rules and description of the competition are everywhere - the statistics will not be complete and I can not make the right decisions for organizing the next competition.
Regards,
{ Sorry my English }
«Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war» (Napoleon Bonaparte, 1812)
User avatar
RidgeBack69
Outfitter
Posts: 1329
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Competitions

Postby RidgeBack69 » November 7th, 2017, 10:54 am

Ok so your are directing traffic to your site to compile statistics.

I got it.
User avatar
caledonianblues
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9052
Joined: September 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Competitions

Postby caledonianblues » November 7th, 2017, 11:16 am

Ak76 wrote:If the rules and description of the competition are everywhere - the statistics will not be complete and I can not make the right decisions for organizing the next competition.

I don't see what value the statistics you're collecting add to the view counter on the forum and the number of registered participants. Without a link to an external site, you effectively know the following:

  • Number of people who viewed the thread
  • Number of people who signed up for the competition

When linking to another site, you know the following:

  • Number of people who viewed the thread
  • Number of people who followed the link
  • Number of people who signed up for the competition

What you don't know is the number of participants you lost because you forced them to follow another link to read the information they were expecting on the forum, compared to the number of people who just didn't register because the competition wasn't to their liking, or because they were busy or unable to take part for other reasons. I realise with website analytics you get geolocation information, as well as information about the client's browser and how long they stay on the page, etc. However, the number of people who follow the link is not necessarily indicative of the level of interest in the competition, since people are forced to click the link if they want to learn about the competition. If all the information is readily available on the forum, then the registered participants figure serves the same purpose. Plus, the benefit of the forum is that people can ask questions and give feedback, and everything remains in one place.

The harder it is for people to obtain information, the less chance you have of maintaining their interest. There's nothing wrong with linking to your own site, I'm just not convinced it's the most effective way to garner interest. You have to ask yourself whether the statistics are worth the potential cost.
UHC Apps | UHC Stats | My PC Specs
Host your own competition, or get your geek on with stats.

Return to “Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BCOX and 1 guest