UHC Apps | Competition Hosting

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: UHC Apps | Competition Generator

Post by Tod1d »

DarkHunterXX wrote:In what script language is it written for all the data, etc?
It's ruby on rails with a Velato wrapper so I can program it from my piano. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DarkHunterXX wrote:Now it's a nightmare to make it responsive (which for me is something i would love to see, and increases the user experience a lot), custom CSS isn't that hard, you could also use the grid system from bootstrap which works like a charm.
It would only be a nightmare to make it responsive if the plan was to make it responsive. Right now, that's not the plan. I realise there are better design choices that would add to the user experience, and I appreciate that user experience might be at the top of your list, but Tod and I work on this in our spare time. I have other business ventures and need to determine the best use of my time when I sit down to do something on UHC. That means coming up with things that will add value for as many people as possible. Responsive websites are nice, and I know frameworks are all the rage with young developers these days, but when you set out on a project to create something that will be loss-making from the word "go", you have to cut some corners. I would love it if theHunter website was responsive, but that's not going to happen any time soon ;)

On the subject of Bootstrap, I've used it countless times over the years to create personal and commercial portals, so I'm intimately familiar with the grid system and agree that it works like a charm. For certain applications it's definitely the way to go. I considered it for the UHC website and decided against it for a number of reasons.
DarkHunterXX wrote:In what script language is it written for all the data, etc?
I would have thought the file extensions would have given that away. The majority of the site is written in PHP. There's also some Ajax and JS/jQuery.
DarkHunterXX wrote:Also, your giveaway for the 10000Ems attracted a lot of people, though still there were people who didn't want to sign up for the giveaway/UHCapps because you did not have a SSL certificate. Not that i care, but there are people who do not trust it a 100% so do not sign up on it because there is no SSL.
I guess that gave the UHC members that aren't worried about their UHC accounts being hacked and all their UHC$ stolen, better odds in the draw. I take your point. Some people see a login page and don't proceed unless they see an SSL certificate. So, to alleviate any concerns you or others might have, I bought and installed an SSL certificate on the server. I have to say though, given the nature of the UHC site, the absence of any sensitive data being passed between client and server (assuming people are using a unique password for UHC, a common best-practice on the Internet) and how utterly insignificant the UHC website is in the grand scheme of things out there in the big bad world, it's somewhat unnecessary. Nevertheless, it's not good if people have expressed lack of trust in the website. It would be nice in future if people with such concerns could come to the forum and either message me, or post here. Ah well, the problem is solved now anyway. I will watch for that influx of satisfied people registering at the site ;)

Edit: In the interests of not having anyone feel left out, now that the SSL certificate is in place, I have put on another 10,000 em$ prize draw - here.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

caledonianblues wrote: It would only be a nightmare to make it responsive if the plan was to make it responsive. Right now, that's not the plan. I realise there are better design choices that would add to the user experience, and I appreciate that user experience might be at the top of your list, but Tod and I work on this in our spare time. I have other business ventures and need to determine the best use of my time when I sit down to do something on UHC. That means coming up with things that will add value for as many people as possible. Responsive websites are nice, and I know frameworks are all the rage with young developers these days, but when you set out on a project to create something that will be loss-making from the word "go", you have to cut some corners. I would love it if theHunter website was responsive, but that's not going to happen any time soon ;)

On the subject of Bootstrap, I've used it countless times over the years to create personal and commercial portals, so I'm intimately familiar with the grid system and agree that it works like a charm. For certain applications it's definitely the way to go. I considered it for the UHC website and decided against it for a number of reasons.
I can understand that it would be a lot of work to make it responsive and rewrite a lot of the scripts again. May i ask why you decided against the use of bootstrap when you came up with the idea to make the UHC site?
caledonianblues wrote: I would have thought the file extensions would have given that away. The majority of the site is written in PHP. There's also some Ajax and JS/jQuery.
Yeah i'll be honest that wasn't so hard to find out :lol: :lol: :oops:
caledonianblues wrote: I guess that gave the UHC members that aren't worried about their UHC accounts being hacked and all their UHC$ stolen, better odds in the draw. I take your point. Some people see a login page and don't proceed unless they see an SSL certificate. So, to alleviate any concerns you or others might have, I bought and installed an SSL certificate on the server. I have to say though, given the nature of the UHC site, the absence of any sensitive data being passed between client and server (assuming people are using a unique password for UHC, a common best-practice on the Internet) and how utterly insignificant the UHC website is in the grand scheme of things out there in the big bad world, it's somewhat unnecessary. Nevertheless, it's not good if people have expressed lack of trust in the website. It would be nice in future if people with such concerns could come to the forum and either message me, or post here. Ah well, the problem is solved now anyway. I will watch for that influx of satisfied people registering at the site ;)
Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense now :)

Thanks for the info David / Tod, much appreciated.

Dark.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
Madmiguez

Post by Madmiguez »

Well. My experience is the worst with this UHC. 3 times to submit a whitetail, then i enrolled a competition (i am in the participants list) i spent 7 HOURS making a good score, after that i wanted to submit the spedition, and UHC tells me that i am not enrolled in this competition. I think there are some company cheating there. It alwais happens with good scores and skilled players. Anyone can look to my trophies and will see that i know the game and i know when something has bad smelt
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Madmiguez wrote:Well. My experience is the worst with this UHC. 3 times to submit a whitetail, then i enrolled a competition (i am in the participants list) i spent 7 HOURS making a good score, after that i wanted to submit the spedition, and UHC tells me that i am not enrolled in this competition. I think there are some company cheating there. It alwais happens with good scores and skilled players. Anyone can look to my trophies and will see that i know the game and i know when something has bad smelt
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with UHC. I believe one of the competitions running at the moment may have an issue preventing anyone from submitting a score. I'm out right now so I can't look at this until much later. Hopefully Tod picks this up before I get a chance. However, I can assure you there's no funny business or "company cheating" going on. I'm not even sure what it is you're implying but I can assure you that UHC has no agenda when it comes to competitions, other than creating a platform for them.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Madmiguez wrote:Well. My experience is the worst with this UHC. 3 times to submit a whitetail, then i enrolled a competition (i am in the participants list) i spent 7 HOURS making a good score, after that i wanted to submit the spedition, and UHC tells me that i am not enrolled in this competition. I think there are some company cheating there. It alwais happens with good scores and skilled players. Anyone can look to my trophies and will see that i know the game and i know when something has bad smelt
Which comp, and when did this happen?

And yes, no funny business. But I do sometimes make mistakes ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Just wanted to say I think that y'all (all involved with UHC) do an awesome job. I don't know how much time each of you have to dedicate to it but between your personal lives and trying to get some hunts in yourselves always being interrupted with every glitch that rears it's head and addressing everyone's problems. Great work!
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

Boys by chance someone did the mission nr. 4 of "Test of Strength"?
I ask because I can not fly the turkeys, they all run away like crazy but no one gets up in the air.
Is there any special technique to make them fly? Thank you
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Seifer wrote:Just wanted to say I think that y'all (all involved with UHC) do an awesome job. I don't know how much time each of you have to dedicate to it but between your personal lives and trying to get some hunts in yourselves always being interrupted with every glitch that rears it's head and addressing everyone's problems. Great work!
I second that big time ! Regarding this game and this community , there are the most devoted guys out there .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

fantamichele wrote:Boys by chance someone did the mission nr. 4 of "Test of Strength"?
I ask because I can not fly the turkeys, they all run away like crazy but no one gets up in the air.
Is there any special technique to make them fly? Thank you
The key is open areas. They won't take to flight if they're running through wooded areas. So, try to spook them in the direction of an open field. Once they have a decent amount of space and run beyond the tree line, they will fly.

Return to “Competitions”