UHC Apps | Competition Hosting

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: UHC Apps | Competition Generator

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Bear scoring has nothing to do with weight. That's why EW does that. Weight means nothing. So, they use first submitted. Personally, I have never cared about the weight of any animal that doesn't have a score based on weight.

For example, in your Grizzly Bear mission...you require a score of 23+, but none of the bears have anything about them that can let me field judge them. How does one judge the jaw bone length and width of a Grizzly Bear's skull? Going around looking at weight has nothing to do with score, but everyone says, look for the big weights. Meh.. For example, #3 on the leaderboard with a 27.322 has a weight of 330.880kg, and the same score for #4, has a weight of 292.010, a full 38kg less, with no difference in score. That's a huge spread.

Bear scoring is a crap shoot, and anyone who says different has to show me how they know the jaw bone length and skull width in advance.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Bear scoring has nothing to do with weight. That's why EW does that. Weight means nothing. So, they use first submitted. Personally, I have never cared about the weight of any animal that doesn't have a score based on weight.

For example, in your Grizzly Bear mission...you require a score of 23+, but none of the bears have anything about them that can let me field judge them. How does one judge the jaw bone length and width of a Grizzly Bear's skull? Going around looking at weight has nothing to do with score, but everyone says, look for the big weights. Meh.. For example, #3 on the leaderboard with a 27.322 has a weight of 330.880kg, and the same score for #4, has a weight of 292.010, a full 38kg less, with no difference in score. That's a huge spread.

Bear scoring is a crap shoot, and anyone who says different has to show me how they know the jaw bone length and skull width in advance.
You can judge their score by spotting them. The better your spotting skills are, the closer the gap is. You should know this by now. As for the weight of an animal, here is another example for you. Let's say you shot a Mule Deer that scored 245.000 and it weighed 75 kgs. and then I shot a Mule Deer that scored the same, but mine weighed 115 kgs. My deer is bigger than your deer, period!
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Nockedup wrote:As for the weight of an animal, here is another example for you. Let's say you shot a Mule Deer that scored 245.000 and it weighed 75 kgs. and then I shot a Mule Deer that scored the same, but mine weighed 115 kgs. My deer is bigger than your deer, period!
What if you shot a 244.999, but it was 135kg, 70kg heavier? I think the point is, when it comes to score the weight is irrelevant (unless the animal is scored by weight).

Who's to say that a tie-breaker should be weight? Maybe it should be the higher raw score (before deductions), maybe it should be the lowest deductions. What about weight based animals?

Then again... why is it important who's listed first? If 2 animals are tied for 1st, they both got 1st place. They might as well be listed chronologically, alphabetically, or by the square root of "who cares". ;) In the Olympics, 2 bobsleds had an exact tie & they both got the same medal. I don't think they cared who was listed first on the scoreboard.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

So for bragging rights, I think an "All Time" top list across all seasons would be cool. Finding them would be easier with the "personal bests" tool on UHC because before that, there was no way to find it after they canned that option on the main site.

Totally agree on how you rank - just like a golf tournament - a tie between 2nd and 3rd split 2nd and 3rd prize money, both credited with runner up and next down the line finishes 4th. I don't have a problem splitting the pot with any of you all here :D --- How much do we win? :lol: `
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

Tod1d wrote:
Nockedup wrote:As for the weight of an animal, here is another example for you. Let's say you shot a Mule Deer that scored 245.000 and it weighed 75 kgs. and then I shot a Mule Deer that scored the same, but mine weighed 115 kgs. My deer is bigger than your deer, period!
What if you shot a 244.999, but it was 135kg, 70kg heavier? I think the point is, when it comes to score the weight is irrelevant (unless the animal is scored by weight).

Who's to say that a tie-breaker should be weight? Maybe it should be the higher raw score (before deductions), maybe it should be the lowest deductions. What about weight based animals?

Then again... why is it important who's listed first? If 2 animals are tied for 1st, they both got 1st place. They might as well be listed chronologically, alphabetically, or by the square root of "who cares". ;) In the Olympics, 2 bobsleds had an exact tie & they both got the same medal. I don't think they cared who was listed first on the scoreboard.
Keep this in mind. I didn't bring this up for settling tie breakers for competitions. I made a suggestion for UHC to start their own Hall of Fame leaderboard or Top Ten for each species because I think that the EW system for it stinks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way I suggested for ranking the bears. Obviously, each main animal category would need to be looked at to come up with a 2nd factor to use to separate "equally scoring" animals instead of whoever harvested the animal first for a specific species goes on top and stays on top.

If I shot a Mule Deer that scored 244.999, and someone else shot a deer that scored 245.000, it's pretty obvious which order they should be ranked. I can't believe you even asked that Tod, however using raw/gross score does sound like a good idea for animals that it could be applied to instead of weight. In fact, I like that idea better than my own for the antlered and swine species. Better yet, why not use your normalized CSS system without that high school curve average slapped into it?

If it's all too much to ask for, just say so and forget I even brought this subject up.
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Nockedup wrote:If it's all too much to ask for, just say so and forget I even brought this subject up.
It's not that it's too much to ask for, it's just that we would need to come up with a method of resolving ties for each species. That method might be the same for many species, but we would need to look at each species individually and figure out a solution that works based on the scoring system. For animals that are scored exclusively on weight, like coyotes for example, how would you resolve a tie? Time of submission to the UHC hall of fame? Time of harvest? Something else?

I guess this might be the reason why Expansive Worlds hasn't really developed a proper system for resolving ties. If we can agree as a group how best to handle such situations, I would be happy to consider implementing them. I do like the idea of a hall of fame though, so I think it's worth pursuing.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Nockedup wrote:If I shot a Mule Deer that scored 244.999, and someone else shot a deer that scored 245.000, it's pretty obvious which order they should be ranked. I can't believe you even asked that Tod,
That was my point. If weight doesn't matter when the score is 0.001 different, why does it matter when the scores are the same?

I guess I just don't see why it's important when there's a tie, who is listed first.

For a Hall of Fame, if the top animals are tied, then we could just list both. Of course this could be a problem with bears & there is a 27 way tie for first at the end of a season.
But that's another issue that needs to be solved.

The idea of having a top 10 / hall of fame kind of leaderboard at UHC is good. We'll just have to figure out how to implement it.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Don't forget how the scoring is messed up on Grey Wolf & Bobcat...there are only 8 scores on the leaderboard for Wolf and Bobcat.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Another update, this time about GDPR and a small issue with our referral system.

You can find it here.

Thanks.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Another small update to include lifetime personal bests. This features requires you to retrieve the personal best data for all seasons that you played, beforehand.

You can read about it here.

Return to “Competitions”