UHC Apps | Competition Hosting

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: UHC Apps | Competition Generator

Post by Tod1d »

RidgeBack69 wrote:I am not trying to change anyone's mind here and I respect the actions of UHC. But could there be an box added to the host ban for a reason that could then be reviewed to see if the reason is indeed a valid one like a rule violation or cheating or unsportsman like conduct.
Who gets the burden of reviewing them, and then arguing with both parties?

Rule violations result in animals or hunts you can't submit and/or disqualification. Cheating & excessive unsportsmanlike conduct will result in a global UHC ban.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Tod1d wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:I am not trying to change anyone's mind here and I respect the actions of UHC. But could there be an box added to the host ban for a reason that could then be reviewed to see if the reason is indeed a valid one like a rule violation or cheating or unsportsman like conduct.
Who gets the burden of reviewing them, and then arguing with both parties?

Rule violations result in animals or hunts you can't submit and/or disqualification. Cheating & excessive unsportsmanlike conduct will result in a global UHC ban.
Come on now I have heard that you can carry the weight of the world on you're shoulders. :o :lol:

But Fair enough. I was just thinking aloud through my keyboard.
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

There's no technical reason why not, but Tod and I have already expended a huge amount of time dealing with disputes, discussing and reviewing the functionality and deciding whether to pull it, change it or leave it. That's time both of us would rather spend developing new features and improving the competition system. Also, I really don't want to play the mediator when people have issues. Making a competition invitation only is a workaround for anyone that specifically wants to exclude someone. I realise that's not ideal, but none of this is ideal and when I introduced the feature I never thought it would blow up to this extent.
DYEUZ wrote:If we , the hosts , banned a player back then , in the past , because they were caught cheating , and UHC banned them also ,they are still banned from UHC but are free from our list ?
Correct. If a host banned someone who was caught cheating then UHC will almost certainly have banned them too, and they will still be banned by UHC. So although they won't appear on a host's ban list anymore, since those no longer exist, they are still banned from UHC. I've already been beaten to the answer above, but I had to walk away from my desk mid-response.
DYEUZ wrote:They, will be able to participate in our comps ?
No. If you're banned from UHC, you can't even log in to the UHC website.

I realise this decision might not suit everyone. The situation before didn't suit everyone either. Tod and I went with what we think is the best for the future of UHC. If there are cases that we need to look at then we will do, but UHC bans will only be issued under the right circumstances. Hopefully we can move on now and focus on other stuff. There are some exciting things in the pipeline, so I'm going to get on with them now ;)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: David . Understood , tyvm .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Thanks for the info, David. I didn't know that this function was used so heavily and that it had already led to a number of discussions and fights that Tod and you were involved in. If this was the case, I understand it much better.

Now back to the exciting things in the pipeline! :D
Image Image Image
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

My last thoughts on this :

Maybe a text / a warning , issued on the UHC site , saying that, UHC is not responsible or doesn't have any decisions making , with the players being banned . If you have issues , do not understand why you were banned from a comp and so on , please contact the host and seek answers there .
It would have been pretty clear . Like , don't come crying to us , deal with the host .

Maybe good results , positive results , would have come out from that . Who knows .

I know i would contact the host to know why and try to work things out if i felt the need to . But , i know we do not have the same DNA and weren't raised by the same parents .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

Let's talk a bit about the missions, when will the last 4 Test of Strength missions be available? Thank you
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Piebald goats are rated as "rare" by the UHC Trophy Checker even though they are just a fur variation. See here: https://www.uhcapps.co.uk/trophycheck/i ... =600110591
Image Image Image
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Piebald goats are rated as "rare" by the UHC Trophy Checker even though they are just a fur variation. See here: https://www.uhcapps.co.uk/trophycheck/i ... =600110591
Thanks Marc. Unfortunately the API returns texture ID 5 for the brown piebald, which is simply defined as "piebald". The same texture ID is returned for piebald deer, elk, moose, pigs, etc. The black piebald has its own texture ID. Consequently UHC tags anything with texture ID 5 as a rare animal. It's not an issue that affects Expansive Worlds since they don't tag any animals as being rare, or a fur variation for that matter. They just show the texture name. I will address this at some point, but it won't be straight away unfortunately. I can modify the array we use to determine rares, but this will require adding per-species variations to the textures. I would also then have to update a number of other pages which reference this array. I will get it done at some point.

Who determines what's a rare and what's a fur variation? They're community definitions after all. I'm just curious. I'm not disputing whether piebald goats are rare, I'm just interesting to know what it's based on. Is it exclusively based on spawn frequency?
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

caledonianblues wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:Piebald goats are rated as "rare" by the UHC Trophy Checker even though they are just a fur variation. See here: https://www.uhcapps.co.uk/trophycheck/i ... =600110591
Thanks Marc. Unfortunately the API returns texture ID 5 for the brown piebald, which is simply defined as "piebald". The same texture ID is returned for piebald deer, elk, moose, pigs, etc. The black piebald has its own texture ID. Consequently UHC tags anything with texture ID 5 as a rare animal. It's not an issue that affects Expansive Worlds since they don't tag any animals as being rare, or a fur variation for that matter. They just show the texture name. I will address this at some point, but it won't be straight away unfortunately. I can modify the array we use to determine rares, but this will require adding per-species variations to the textures. I would also then have to update a number of other pages which reference this array. I will get it done at some point.

Who determines what's a rare and what's a fur variation? They're community definitions after all. I'm just curious. I'm not disputing whether piebald goats are rare, I'm just interesting to know what it's based on. Is it exclusively based on spawn frequency?
Going off topic here but this post made me want to ask you something since I'm not much aware of binary stuff.
Would it be much work for EW to state the fur variation in the in-game harvest sheet? I really can't see why this hasn't been implemented already because for me, as an observer, it seems it'd be very easy(?).

Return to “Competitions”