UHC Apps | Competition Hosting

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: UHC Apps | Competition Generator

Post by caledonianblues »

DYEUZ wrote:In the tent section , could it be possible to have , as a choice , '' all tent or '' any tent '' , meaning that i don't mind what color comes on sale . Any color will do for me .
Done. To add all tents to your wishlist, search for "all tents" and you will see an option. Select that option and click the Add to Wishlist button. That should add all of the tents to your wishlist. Please note however, that it will not add any new tents that are released after you use this option. You would have to go back and manually add those yourself later. It just adds all tents at that moment in time.
Herzbube wrote:If I might add a small suggestion: The dropdown list gets a bit too long. I think it should be limited and be accompanied by a scroll bar.
Also done. Good suggestion, thank you.

I posted some update notes here.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Thx a million for the '' all tents '' option for the wish list .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Herzbube

Post by Herzbube »

Damn, you work fast! Hats off to you!

Is there an FAQ somewhere or an introduction to UHC? I am just discovering the site bit by bit and don't quite understand some things. For example the UHC$ and gems, what are they good for?
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Neat new feature, thanks UHC!

David, since you added that ability for the tents, would it be possible to also do it for clothing sets, or at least the bundled ones? If not exactly, then maybe when we add entire bundle items to our list it could tell us "these x items can all be found in the x Bundle" or some such? Or are bundles just not do-able?

Also, the search function appears to be 'exact match' only. Would it be possible to exclude or ignore non-typed ""s when searching? Hope this is understandable.
Last edited by J_Birdman on May 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Herzbube wrote:Damn, you work fast! Hats off to you!

Is there an FAQ somewhere or an introduction to UHC? I am just discovering the site bit by bit and don't quite understand some things. For example the UHC$ and gems, what are they good for?
Gems can be purchased with UHC "points" or $. UHC points can be earned by doing missions, entering and posting a result on UHC Comps. For example, there is a toolbox, with a number of cool things to use. You have to unlock some of them with Gems.

A really cool tool is the Expedition Analyser. It has several pages. The first page looks like this. You can use it to analyse any hunt of yours, or anyone else.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Herzbube wrote:Is there an FAQ somewhere or an introduction to UHC? I am just discovering the site bit by bit and don't quite understand some things. For example the UHC$ and gems, what are they good for?
An FAQ section is something I've been meaning to add for a while, and your questions indicate that one is needed sooner rather than later. I will add one.

In the meantime, Stan has already briefly covered UHC$ and gems. You can earn UHC$ by completing missions, participating in UHC-hosted competitions, finishing on the podium of UHC-hosted competitions, and by hosting competitions with UHC. There will be more earning opportunities in the future.

You can use UHC$ to buy gems, which are used to unlock some UHC website features, or you can trade them in for em$ at a 10:1 ratio. That means 5000 UHC$ translates into 500 em$. There is a minimum trade-in amount of 5000 UHC$. So far, only the Expedition Analyser needs to be unlocked with gems, but more functionality will be released in time which will need to be unlocked with gems.

Once the FAQ section is online I will let you know.
J_Birdman wrote:David, since you added that ability for the tents, would it be possible to also do it for clothing sets, or at least the bundled ones? If not exactly, then maybe when we add entire bundle items to our list it could tell us "these x items can all be found
A bundle is not the same as a discounted item (although there often are savings to be made) from the point of view of the backend API. We don't check the system for new bundles, only for item discounts (sales). So I'm not sure how you would benefit from adding the individual items from a bundle to your wishlist, other than being able to do so with one submission.

Being able to add clothing sets with a single submission is not easy and would require ongoing maintenance on our part. There is no existing relationship between clothing sets and their component items (at least not one which we can obtain automatically for existing or new sets). We would have to create this relationship ourselves, then maintain it. Since clothing sets generally only consist of 5 or 6 items, I think the small task of adding these manually outweighs the pain of automating this task, and the subsequent maintenance. Whenever new sets are introduced (admittedly it doesn't happen that often) we'd need to update a file, table or something else, which means remembering to do so, and then doing it.

So, to answer your question, it could be done, but I believe the effort required to implement it would be disproportionate to the gain.
J_Birdman wrote:Also, the search function appears to be 'exact match' only. Would it be possible to exclude or ignore non-typed ""s when searching? Hope this is understandable.
Due to the nature of the auto-complete source data, and the type of string comparison being done, it's not really possible without making changes. I could limit the input on the textbox so quotes and apostrophes can't be entered, but if they exist in any store item names (not sure, I would need to check) you might have a harder job to find them. Why would you enter quotes though unless you knew the store item contained them?

The way it is now, it should be possible (and easy) to find any item. Did you hit this problem yourself? If so can you explain what happened so I can better understand the issue?

Thanks.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

caledonianblues wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:David, since you added that ability for the tents, would it be possible to also do it for clothing sets, or at least the bundled ones? If not exactly, then maybe when we add entire bundle items to our list it could tell us "these x items can all be found
A bundle is not the same as a discounted item (although there often are savings to be made) from the point of view of the backend API. We don't check the system for new bundles, only for item discounts (sales). So I'm not sure how you would benefit from adding the individual items from a bundle to your wishlist, other than being able to do so with one submission.

Being able to add clothing sets with a single submission is not easy and would require ongoing maintenance on our part. There is no existing relationship between clothing sets and their component items (at least not one which we can obtain automatically for existing or new sets). We would have to create this relationship ourselves, then maintain it. Since clothing sets generally only consist of 5 or 6 items, I think the small task of adding these manually outweighs the pain of automating this task, and the subsequent maintenance. Whenever new sets are introduced (admittedly it doesn't happen that often) we'd need to update a file, table or something else, which means remembering to do so, and then doing it.

So, to answer your question, it could be done, but I believe the effort required to implement it would be disproportionate to the gain.
J_Birdman wrote:Also, the search function appears to be 'exact match' only. Would it be possible to exclude or ignore non-typed ""s when searching? Hope this is understandable.
Due to the nature of the auto-complete source data, and the type of string comparison being done, it's not really possible without making changes. I could limit the input on the textbox so quotes and apostrophes can't be entered, but if they exist in any store item names (not sure, I would need to check) you might have a harder job to find them. Why would you enter quotes though unless you knew the store item contained them?

The way it is now, it should be possible (and easy) to find any item. Did you hit this problem yourself? If so can you explain what happened so I can better understand the issue?

Thanks.
Eh? No. I don't want to add parts of a bundle, nor do I wish to use "'s when searching. I guess I failed in my description, I'll try again..

I'd like to add whole bundles to my wishlist, but since I see no bundles in the wishlist drop-down I figured it must mean extra work would be required or impossible to program. Failing that option, I figured the next best thing would be to let people enter, for example, all pieces of a clothing bundle(whether or not they already know they're creating a set of items already available in an existing bundle) and helpfully be told that they actually do indeed have items in their list that can be found in an already existing bundle since bundles are usually cheaper than buying each piece individually.

I don't want to use ""s when I start typing to search for an item. Instead I'd like to type, for example, "deer grunt caller" instead of "deer "grunt" caller" in order to easily and quickly find the item in the list. As it stands now, if I enter "deer grunt caller", the drop-down list disappears after I press the letter "G" because there are no matches for "deer grunt caller" because it wants the ""s around "grunt".

If I still fail to make myself understandable or if these are too much work or just impossible, then so be it and thanks anyway.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

J_Birdman wrote:Eh? No. I don't want to add parts of a bundle, nor do I wish to use "'s when searching. I guess I failed in my description, I'll try again..

I'd like to add whole bundles to my wishlist, but since I see no bundles in the wishlist drop-down I figured it must mean extra work would be required or impossible to program. Failing that option, I figured the next best thing would be to let people enter, for example, all pieces of a clothing bundle(whether or not they already know they're creating a set of items already available in an existing bundle) and helpfully be told that they actually do indeed have items in their list that can be found in an already existing bundle since bundles are usually cheaper than buying each piece individually.

I don't want to use ""s when I start typing to search for an item. Instead I'd like to type, for example, "deer grunt caller" instead of "deer "grunt" caller" in order to easily and quickly find the item in the list. As it stands now, if I enter "deer grunt caller", the drop-down list disappears after I press the letter "G" because there are no matches for "deer grunt caller" because it wants the ""s around "grunt".

If I still fail to make myself understandable or if these are too much work or just impossible, then so be it and thanks anyway.
Thanks for clarifying. In order to add bundles in one submission, or advise users that most or all of the items in a bundle are in their wishlist, we would need to be pulling bundle data from the server via the API. We don't do that at the moment. I will check to see what API functions exist for this with a view to implementing a solution.

In the meantime, I've solved the problem with the search textbox. All punctuation has been removed from the source store names and variation names. This solution won't require ongoing maintenance. Hopefully that solves the majority of, it not all, searching issues.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Herzbube wrote:Is there an FAQ somewhere or an introduction to UHC?
There is now. At least, it's the start of one. You can access this from the top menu (whether logged into your UHC account or not). Or you can view it here.

There's an update covering this and my changes in the above post, here.
Herzbube

Post by Herzbube »

Very impressive! I have read through all of it and as a newbie I can confirm that it is very helpful. Maybe you should include the FAQ in the sidebar menu on the left though. At least that's where I was looking for a FAQ when I visited the UHC site for the very first time.

Return to “Competitions”