UHC Apps | Competition Hosting

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: UHC Apps | Competition Generator

Post by Tod1d »

I don't think placing a tent is something that requires precise measurement. And if you're placing the tent, you are on the map & can use the in-game distance display.

Again, the map is not very accurate. If you are using landmarks, geography to pick a spot to measure, it's going to be off & will have to be adjusted once you are in-game on the real terrain.

The one limitation with the in-game map is to measure a distance you have to be standing at one end of the line.

I'm pretty sure what you're asking is possible, but it needs reasonable justification in order to spend time on the development. Make sense?
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

INTIMID883R wrote:Could be used for many things. Example: on RFF I have 2 feeders, relatively close together. I want to only use 1 tent for those 2 feeders. Without this tool, it is almost impossible, without another player standing at each feeder, to center the tent between the 2 feeders. I would like to be able to make a diagonal measurement, at really any angle, with one end of the line anchored, and the other movable to find this center.
I am very much a dress right dress kinda person so I get the desire to do this but given the limitations in the game of placing structures, especially tents I dont see how this is especially useful? From my experience placing tents where I want them is very a much a "close enough" proposition.

JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

I think there is a misinterpretation what Tony means when he says "accurate". I don't think he is looking for measuring tool to give him precise distance down to the last foot. I think all he is asking for is ruler to draw a line on the map to give him the distance between point a and point b. Such that when he plots those coordinates and walks it in the game, he is in the right area and not 200m off from what he plotted.

I have stated in the other thread under the general chat section how I use the map designer from the hunter tools and still use it for the old reserves. J_Birdman gave a pretty good explanation how the map designer with all the old and new tools can be beneficial. The hunter tools stopped being updated, and some of us find it very useful and would like it part of UHC. Some people may think it will not be useful and could change their mind and find it a wonderful tool if it became available.

You UHC guys have done a lot for the game, and we are just asking if the full tools could be brought over. If you guys don't want to spend your valuable time implementing it into UHC, then no big deal.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

JamboWhoDat wrote:I think there is a misinterpretation what Tony means when he says "accurate". I don't think he is looking for measuring tool to give him precise distance down to the last foot. I think all he is asking for is ruler to draw a line on the map to give him the distance between point a and point b. Such that when he plots those coordinates and walks it in the game, he is in the right area and not 200m off from what he plotted.

I have stated in the other thread under the general chat section how I use the map designer from the hunter tools and still use it for the old reserves. J_Birdman gave a pretty good explanation how the map designer with all the old and new tools can be beneficial. The hunter tools stopped being updated, and some of us find it very useful and would like it part of UHC. Some people may think it will not be useful and could change their mind and find it a wonderful tool if it became available.

You UHC guys have done a lot for the game, and we are just asking if the full tools could be brought over. If you guys don't want to spend your valuable time implementing it into UHC, then no big deal.
He did mention, "within a couple feet." That gave me the impression he was looking for "accurate" / "precise".

We've tried to contact fumar poros, but he has not responded. I think it would be pretty quick & easy to move those tools to UHC & add PB to the maps, and update the other tools. But we'd have to get his permission, and more importantly, the code. To build it all from scratch would be considerable effort. Effort we'd be willing to spend if we were convinced it would be time well spent. Right now, I see 1-2 people that want to completely plan out their reserves (equipment, etc..) offline, and one that wants to measure accurate distance to place tents. To me that makes it a "Nice to have", but "bottom of the list" enhancement.

I've used fumar's tools a few times, to get coordinates from a map, or find a spot when someone posts coordinates. We have that ability now in UHC.

I can see the circles & measurement tool being useful for finding long shot locations. But again the map isn't very accurate, so you still need to do some trial & error in the field to find the best spot. But no one has spoken up & said they'd use it to plan long shots.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any other practical uses. (which is why I asked) ;)
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I'd just like to show an example of one of my reserves created using Fumar's tools. This is the working copy of my Logger's Point, poor picture quality but you get the idea. I beg anyone who may know how to get in contact with FumarPorros, please do so! :)

Edit: Clickable now for fullsize image
Last edited by J_Birdman on May 3rd, 2018, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

J_Birdman wrote:I'd just like to show an example of one of my reserves created using Fumar's tools. This is the working copy of my Logger's Point, poor picture quality but you get the idea. I beg anyone who may know how to get in contact with FumarPorros, please do so! :)

I question how many would take the time to do all that work? If it's significant, I would consider porting it over or creating a new tool.

What are the paw prints?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

J_Birdman wrote:I'd just like to show an example of one of my reserves created using Fumar's tools. This is the working copy of my Logger's Point, poor picture quality but you get the idea.
I might be having a blonde moment, but other than the circle areas around some of the equipment to indicate distances, what do you use this for? Is it just a personal backup of your reserves in case something bad happens and your reserve is wiped? If I changed the icons for the world items and added the radii of the relevant items, UHC could generate the exact same map and it would not require you to have to place anything.

If you used the tool to create this before you actually implemented it in the game, what were you able to ascertain from the image? The best places to deploy items so that you could achieve optimal map coverage? Was it a way of laying everything out then having the exact coordinates?

I could imagine this tool being useful for planning driven hunts but (and maybe this is just me) I can't imagine ever wanting to create a proof of concept map before actually implemented it in the game. I place items such as treestands and tripods where I find regular activity and it's hard to identify those areas on a map.

Like Tod said, we can absolutely create the same sort of tool on the UHC website, we just need to decide what should be included and, to be able to prioritise it, find out how in demand it is.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Tod1d wrote:What are the paw prints?
It looks like they match up to the spawn locations from the loggers spawn map.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Just a random thought. Maybe FumarPorros is playing COTW these days, and you could find him on the Steam forum.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

You will add the map designer and all its tools to UHC :D

Return to “Competitions”