Ideas for Competitions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Ideas for Competitions

Post by Fletchette »

hunterPumpkinhead wrote:
HooCairs wrote:
hunterPumpkinhead wrote:Also, it would be interesting to have some comps (not all) that only allow 1 attempt.
You have my vote on this one. :)

What I really liked in the original hunter (before MP) were the ingame news scrolling at the bottom of the screen telling you about changes in the top 10 of your current comps, e.g. "Francis95 has scored a 28.705 Pheasant and is now in 1st place in Little Wing."
Yes! I agree 100%
Having a single attempt allowed would reduce cheating and would ensure everyone is given the same potential (mostly based on luck) to win. Just like real life. :)
If you think that's want real-life hunting is like, then you mustn't have done much hunting. Can an inexperienced hunter, or someone who spends a few hours hunting get lucky and bag a trophy? Sure, but an experienced hunter that spends days or weeks scouting and actually in the field hunting, has a substantially better chance at bagging a trophy. That's the exact opposite of "mostly based on luck".
Personal Bests...
hunterPumpkinhead

Post by hunterPumpkinhead »

Fletchette wrote:
hunterPumpkinhead wrote:
HooCairs wrote: You have my vote on this one. :)

What I really liked in the original hunter (before MP) were the ingame news scrolling at the bottom of the screen telling you about changes in the top 10 of your current comps, e.g. "Francis95 has scored a 28.705 Pheasant and is now in 1st place in Little Wing."
Yes! I agree 100%
Having a single attempt allowed would reduce cheating and would ensure everyone is given the same potential (mostly based on luck) to win. Just like real life. :)
If you think that's want real-life hunting is like, then you mustn't have done much hunting. Can an inexperienced hunter, or someone who spends a few hours hunting get lucky and bag a trophy? Sure, but an experienced hunter that spends days or weeks scouting and actually in the field hunting, has a substantially better chance at bagging a trophy. That's the exact opposite of "mostly based on luck".
So you think its more realistic to be able to enter a reserve and leave constantly until you find a trophy. I don't know about you, but when I hunt, I don't go back and forth from home to reserve 15 times in one day. I spend the whole day out in the woods. Yes, there is skill involved as well. But your "skill" can only get you so far. Your "skills" have nothing to do with the trophy that just happens to be chasing a doe across the field in front of your treestand.
Ash1302
Scout

Post by Ash1302 »

-Make regular competitions run for 2 days but with 1 attempt per day max. Only 1 comp for each species running at a time.

-Add reserve-specific comps running each week, for highest scoring or heaviest animal totals. Cannot be activated alongside the 2-day competitions. Conditions like specific weapon types, unspooked/sights only can randomly be added where applicable. No airborne species, see below.

Example: Week 1 Redfeather Falls, unscoped, highest scoring of each species, 1 attempt max per day
Week 2 Redfeather Falls, bows only, heaviest of each, 1 attempt max per day

-Proper scoring so that a 23 bear/190 WT/190 BT/ 220 moose is as good as a 390 elk.

-For airborne species, another competition weekly with different guns, e.g .22, PA, SS, O/U, etc. 1 attempt max per day for each airborne species.

-No extra ammo allowed for comps.

-Intergroup (across game instances, not within the same session) multiplayer comps (2v2/3v3/4v4, etc for specific maps or for specific species) with shared trophies and prizes.

-More Laura Francese comps (maybe also randomly change the weapon type every rotation for variety?).

-A feeders-only competition weekly? Same as airborne, 1 attempt per day for each species.

-Big/medium/small game competitions weekly with various conditions and weapons, 1 daily attempt max for each species, cannot be activated alongside regular or reserve-based ones.

-Again, only one type of competition can be activated for any given species.

Some suggestions, must have missed details, must definitely be perfected (or ignored), but the ultimate goals are choice, fun, fairness and maximum participation.
hunterPumpkinhead

Post by hunterPumpkinhead »

Ash1302 wrote:-Make regular competitions run for 2 days but with 1 attempt per day max. Only 1 comp for each species running at a time.

-Add reserve-specific comps running each week, for highest scoring or heaviest animal totals. Cannot be activated alongside the 2-day competitions. Conditions like specific weapon types, unspooked/sights only can randomly be added where applicable. No airborne species, see below.

Example: Week 1 Redfeather Falls, unscoped, highest scoring of each species, 1 attempt max per day
Week 2 Redfeather Falls, bows only, heaviest of each, 1 attempt max per day

-Proper scoring so that a 23 bear/190 WT/190 BT/ 220 moose is as good as a 390 elk.

-For airborne species, another competition weekly with different guns, e.g .22, PA, SS, O/U, etc. 1 attempt max per day for each airborne species.

-No extra ammo allowed for comps.

-Intergroup (across game instances, not within the same session) multiplayer comps (2v2/3v3/4v4, etc for specific maps or for specific species) with shared trophies and prizes.

-More Laura Francese comps (maybe also randomly change the weapon type every rotation for variety?).

-A feeders-only competition weekly? Same as airborne, 1 attempt per day for each species.

-Big/medium/small game competitions weekly with various conditions and weapons, 1 daily attempt max for each species, cannot be activated alongside regular or reserve-based ones.

-Again, only one type of competition can be activated for any given species.

Some suggestions, must have missed details, must definitely be perfected (or ignored), but the ultimate goals are choice, fun, fairness and maximum participation.

+1 This.
Nice suggestions.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

hunterPumpkinhead wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
hunterPumpkinhead wrote:
Yes! I agree 100%
So you think its more realistic to be able to enter a reserve and leave constantly until you find a trophy. I don't know about you, but when I hunt, I don't go back and forth from home to reserve 15 times in one day. I spend the whole day out in the woods.
Obviously I was addressing your assertion that IRL hunting is "mostly based on luck". That's simply not true most of the time. While a person who does a single hunt for a few hours CAN get lucky, a person who is persistent, and spends many hours, over many days, hunting the entire season has a substantially higher chance of success. It's the same in the game.

Most of the comps in the game only allow 10 attempts, and the attempts are not "15 times in one day", but rather 10 attempts where each attempt is a new hunting day. This is much like a hunting season, where you usually have a few weeks to fill you tags and perhaps get a trophy. The fact that it's a game, and you can "simulate" doing 10 days of hunting spread out over 2 days real-time, is because it's a GAME.

While I understand the issue some people are trying to address with the comps in the game, these types of solutions basically turn the game into a slot machine, with each play getting just one pull of the lever. This will of course drastically increase the "luck" factor. It will also introduce a number of other issues when people start complaining that they lost their 1-2 attempts because of an internet connection issue, or a server issue, or a game client crash. We hear those complaints now on comps that allow 10 attempts.

In the end, what you're really looking for is to have people that only play a few hours to have the same chance of winning as people who play many hours. That a person who is only willing or able to do 1 or 2 hunts during the comp, has the same chance as someone who is will and able to spend 10-20 hours during the comp. How many things in life, (games or not), are like that? Not many, except perhaps raffles, lotteries and other forms of gambling. An even with those, a person that buys more "chances" still has a greater chance of winning.

I certainly wouldn't mind if a few comps were run with very limited attempts, but even then a person that is willing to spend 6-7 hours on each attempt is going to have an advantage over someone that is only willing or able to spend an hour or two.
Personal Bests...
EW_Stefan
Scout

Post by EW_Stefan »

Hi all!

Today we sat down today and talked about what we can do to improve the daily competitions based on your fantastic feedback. Over the next weeks we will look into this further. Thanks to all of you for speaking your mind and letting us know what you think! If you have more ideas please continue to post them here :-)

Stefan
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

Can i add my inputs, hope i am not late :( since my main motivation to play the hunter was the competitions.

First of all i would like to see max of 3 attempts per comp, this will allow for fresh names to pop up in leader-board and also this mean that comps can be won by normal high scoring animals, not necessarily a 400 elk to have a chance to win. this way people with not much time on hand can get better chance.

Second i would like to see unique beautiful trophies for competition, like the ones we had once and HooCairs mentioned, this makes it more fun and challenging to aim your efforts at certain comps to collect these unique ones and add them to your book :)

Finally MultiPlayer competitions and team based competitions, this was was supposed to come at some point to the hunter, but we are still waiting.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

I have an idea Devs...
Please make duplicate comps like how it was last week but instead of having both single player make the other duplicate comp Multiplayer.
That way there's a single player version of the comp and a Multiplayer version.
Similar to Member and Guest comps. :)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
GreatBighorn
Scout

Post by GreatBighorn »

Personally i like mostly those boring competitions like: the 3 heavier species, best high scored animal and so on. I hate those longest shots comp and the "go in & out of the burrow" and those "alot of turkey" etc. All those comps require either very much time to spend or ninja tricks - climb to the highest top of the world - use "Pythagorean theorem" lol just to shoot an animal and get a totally fake, unrealistic, so weird win outside from the realistic - simulator limits that i think TheHunter it's born with. Who cares about shooting rabbits exactly the second that enter or exit from the burrow? What point of competition is that? I think we don't deal with a arcade game here!

Anyway about that... i don't play them - i don't care so it's ok. But another matter that you should improve (like the Champ wrote above) is the time that add comps to the new animals. For example we have ptarmigan & bighorns without comps for ages and really i can't understand why? Can't understand why you don't put at least one classic comp to those like the "highest or the heavier trophy" like all the other animals have. Finally, you need to make the most of the comps available to the multiplayer or create some others that you can win like a team - share the ems and the trophy. I can't accept after so many years from the multiplayer release, still you can't take your partners and go win that medal comparing worldwide in Elk biggest bull Hunt or something.

Hope see you take the competition stuff more serious by making realistic comps not for kiddos and guys who shoot pheasants all day long wining the trophy just because they can since the availability of their time is endless. And i tell you that even if i have 2000 pheasant lifetime myself. Bottom line these kind of comps hurt the quality of the game IMO.
Patience is virtue for hunting
Always perfect shots "on the wing"
If you don't find me flush the roosters you'll find me blast some puddle drakes
Nothing harder than shooting WT Ptarms at dusk!
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

GreatBighorn wrote:Personally i like mostly those boring competitions like: the 3 heavier species, best high scored animal and so on. I hate those longest shots comp and the "go in & out of the burrow" and those "alot of turkey" etc. totally fake, unrealistic, so weird win outside from the realistic - simulator limits that i think TheHunter it's born with. Who cares about shooting rabbits exactly the second that enter or exit from the burrow? What point of competition is that? I think we don't deal with a arcade game here! .
I agree.....i like the "boring" ones myself a lot more.....and speaking of rabbits(which I don't hunt often)....what the heck is this?
Hippidy Hop
"The average range of the 5 European Rabbits shot from the longest distance while it was unspooked is your competition entry. "(of course it will be "unspooked" when you blast it from the top of the Himalaya :ugeek:

- 1st place is currently 298.8 meters.Who in their right mind would climb the highest mountain to shoot a lousy rabbit? This is Looney Tunes at their best.

Return to “Competitions”