How to link Steam with first time theHunter account?

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
bob_12124

How to link Steam with first time theHunter account?

Post by bob_12124 »

I've already been playing COTW via Steam for a while, and then created a new (my first) theHunter.com account. When I try to purchase EM$ at theHunter.com, I get a "cannot connect to Steam" error. I'm assuming that the account isn't linked to my Steam account?

The instructions at https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam are incomplete. They describe how to link the accounts when first launching COTW, but they don't describe how to link an existing Steam account/installation with the my new theHunter.com account.

Any help? It looks like the external support site is down. I've looked through 3 years worth of posts here before asking, and the only help I found was the above URL and posts on the (shut down) support site. Just want to buy some EM$ and items not available on Steam.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: How to link Steam with first time theHunter account?

Post by HooCairs »

bob_12124 wrote:The instructions at https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam are incomplete. They describe how to link the accounts when first launching COTW
There is nothing in this article about CotW.
bob_12124 wrote:but they don't describe how to link an existing Steam account/installation with the my new theHunter.com account.
I think it does.
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam ... am_Account

If you do not get these screens, try this first: https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam#Disconnecting
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
bob_12124

Post by bob_12124 »

The article doesn't specify which game it refers to, just "theHunter." An example image in the article shows several theHunter games including COTW, so I figured the instructions were intended for any of those games.

The article says "When you start the game for the first time from Steam (...)". I already have been running COTW using Steam, so the question (unanswered and asked elsewhere here) is "do I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it in order to link the accounts?"

I've looked everywhere in the Steam settings and cannot find the UI that is displayed in https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam#Disconnecting. Clicking the cogwheel for COTW, I get "preferences" which doesn't have any account/membership info, the Steam settings don't give me the option to manage membership & licences, and neither do the preferences for my Steam user account. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe the instructions are outdated? I'll happily follow up if I discover anything.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

bob_12124 wrote:The article doesn't specify which game it refers to, just "theHunter." An example image in the article shows several theHunter games including COTW, so I figured the instructions were intended for any of those games.
The entire wiki is for theHunter:Classic. COTW has it's own wiki (TheHunter: Call of the Wild Wiki - Fandom)
The image that shows COTW clearly has theHunter:Classic selected/highlighted
The article was written 2 years before COTW was released. Anywhere it says "theHunter" it means "theHunter:Classic"
The article says "When you start the game for the first time from Steam (...)". I already have been running COTW using Steam, so the question (unanswered and asked elsewhere here) is "do I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it in order to link the accounts?"
No, you do not have to uninstall theHunter:Classic to disconnect/reconnect Steam accounts with theHunter:Classic accounts.
I've looked everywhere in the Steam settings and cannot find the UI that is displayed in https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Steam#Disconnecting. Clicking the cogwheel for COTW, I get "preferences" which doesn't have any account/membership info, the Steam settings don't give me the option to manage membership & licences, and neither do the preferences for my Steam user account. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe the instructions are outdated? I'll happily follow up if I discover anything.
"This is done on theHunter's "Account settings" under "Settings, then under "Steam settings" at the bottom."

"theHunter's Account Settings", are accessed from the game launcher. Not from Steam.
Start the game ("PLAY" from Steam). Then go to Settings -> Account Settings in the upper right corner (Next to the Logout button)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
bob_12124

Post by bob_12124 »

Thanks for the information. I'm clearly in the wrong forum too. I'll find a different place to ask about COTW. Emailed the COTW support, maybe they'll help.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

CotW should be much easier. It does not have a launcher, or an account to connect to. You just install and play like most other games.

Note also that there is no link between your Classic account and CotW. They are completely separate.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

For those reading this. Customer Support is still available. Scroll down on the CS page and you'll see a link to contact.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”