Steam Account Hijacked - what will happen to my game(s) ?

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Steam Account Hijacked - what will happen to my game(s) ?

Post by caledonianblues »

HooCairs wrote:Some websites have an option to request the phone code only if someone logs in from a new device, which is more than sufficient. Does Steam not have that option (sorry, too lazy to go through the setup just to find this out...) :)
If not, then not a good solution provided by Steam...
It's easier than you'd think to capture and present someone else's device information. So whilst from a user experience point of view it's nice not to be asked for a code every time, from a security point of view, a little inconvenience far better than the alternative. To answer your question though, Steam does not offer the option you described, at least as far as I can see.
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

They also changed the phone number, I entered the guard code on the fake russian roulette link, and went to the bathroom to respond the call of the nature. When I came back, no more Call of the Wild.

I remember during my past hloidays in my home country that when I had tried to play Classic and Fishing Planet from my mom's laptop, Steam had sent a code on my phone because it detected a login from another country.

But the hijackers they changed the email linked to the account as well as the phone number - I have received notifications stating this in my email which was previousely linked to Steam - I luckily do not have the wallet linked to my credit card, in any online apps.

it all happened in a few minutes while I was in the toilet.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

DarkHunterXX wrote:Yes Steam has that option, i have it enabled too.
Then, good. Thanks! :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

That's unfortunate. They managed to get you to give them everything. Hopefully Steam will help you recover your account. I guess the lesson here is, if something seems too good to be true (a free game) then it probably is.

It's always best to log into platforms on your own, rather than using links to do so. If you have to use a link, just double check the URL before you proceed.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Can you show me where? I can't find that. I can see the option to disable Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, get backup codes, and deauthorise devices. I can't see an option to limit Steam Guard to logins from new devices only. Where is that option?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

caledonianblues wrote:
Can you show me where? I can't find that. I can see the option to disable Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, get backup codes, and deauthorise devices. I can't see an option to limit Steam Guard to logins from new devices only. Where is that option?
Translating from my German setup: Go to Account Details - Account Security (third paragraph) - Manage Steam Guard - The second option says something like this:

Receive Steam Guard Codes by Email
When I log in with a new computer or browser to Steam, a Steam Guard Code is required, which I receive by email.

I have set it up like this and it seems to work.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

HooCairs wrote:Translating from my German setup: Go to Account Details - Account Security (third paragraph) - Manage Steam Guard - The second option says something like this:

Receive Steam Guard Codes by Email
When I log in with a new computer or browser to Steam, a Steam Guard Code is required, which I receive by email.

I have set it up like this and it seems to work.
When I navigate to Manage Steam Guard that way I see the following options:

Clearly I'm missing something because I really don't see the option you guys are referring to. I've hunted around the website and through the client.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

caledonianblues wrote: Can you show me where? I can't find that. I can see the option to disable Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, get backup codes, and deauthorise devices. I can't see an option to limit Steam Guard to logins from new devices only. Where is that option?
What Hoocairs said in his post above :).
Works very good, i had it a few times that people from RU or other country's tried to login to my steam account.

Actually now i think about it, it was a year ago when someone hacked into a webshop account of mine. ordered for 1000 dollars of clothing and sended it to a post office.
He actualy tried to pick it up , but since he didn't have my ID card / passport he wasn't able to take the items with him.

Since than i am using Dashlane to store passwords and made everything secure.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

OK I did some digging. If you want the option for Steam to send codes via email, you have to stop using the Steam Guard mobile app for 2FA. On that basis, I will stick with what I have. I always have my phone with me and it's no great hassle to look at the screen when the push notification comes up.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Are you able to log in you The Hunter account in the website? if so, un-link your The Hunter account from Steam shouldn't avoid that someone take control of your account trough Steam? you can un-link The Hunter account in the account setting tab in the website of The Hunter, that wont solve the biggest problem that is recover your Steam account i'm afraid.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”