Usage of GPU and CPU on Piccabeen Bay

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Usage of GPU and CPU on Piccabeen Bay

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Yesterday I was curious to see why does Piccabeen Bay run so poorly and even worse when animals render.

Yesterday I was in a bedding area that me and a friend found and the deer where piling up, I was getting 40-50 fps with a GTX 1080ti and a 7700k on a 1440p(144hz) monitor, which is insane because I can run newer games at a higher fps with graphics settings maxed out.

So I went and opened task manager on the performance tab in another monitor, when the deer where nearby, the game was using 30-40% of my GPU and around 40% CPU. I was getting from 40 to 50fps. When we left the area, it jumped back to 100% GPU and 60% CPU and was getting over 100fps (which is still not ok). My friend also did this and he found out that he also had 40% GPU usage with and without the deer(AMD, don't remember which one exactly). I imagine this also happens with ptarmigans because when I encounter them my fps drops like crazy.

Both my GTX 1080ti and his AMD were using only 1.9GB out of the 11GB of the GTX1080ti and 8GB of the AMD.

I encourage anyone to also try this and let me know what results they get. It may be just us after all....

Spoiler:
Edit: Typos
Spoiler:

Reggy
Scout

Re: Usage of GPU and CPU on Piccabeen Bay

Post by Reggy »

Yes this happens to me on PB and TGT. Running a i7-5820 (6-core OC'd to 4.3), GTX 1080 8Gb. Runs 180 FPS without VSYNC but drops to 30-ish FPS when animals come into render. GPU & CPU usage drops like you stated, CPU rarely runs over 40-50% and GPU is about 80% with peaks to 100% and drops to 40-ish% when FPS drops. It's like a cheat, when frame rate drops, I stop and call, been getting 8-12 wolves coming in, watched a group of wolves (11) walk past 5 male MD without spooking. FPS was 31.

I just went from a 3Gb 1060 to the 8Gb 1080 but without any change in theHunter. Huge change in other games, only having 3Gb was using 100% of GPU memory.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

The last two reserves are more demanding than the previous ones, when TgT was released it was explained that would have more graphical demand and so it can be run in low level of detail like the others, just medium and up, and Picca have a lot more trees and "decorations" to make you feel like you are in a jungle, then you got the animals, no wonder it can be more demanding than lets say Loggers.

But there has been fps drops that seem more game end related, i guess the fps drops are not entirely related to the user pc/laptop performance.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

No same here with an i7 7700k 4.2 ghz with GTX 1060 6gb... almost the exact same situation as you. A mate of mine has an i5 with an older GTX 970 in his PC but fps on some places are the same for both of us. So I think it is a EW issue and not enduser. Internet is ok by me at 13-14 but my mate has 50+. I get the drops to 30 RARELY but 45-50 is not uncommon. I usually get my steady 60fps which is just fine as I have a 60Hz monitor, if i go for 80+ fps I start to get ripping effects.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

VonStratos wrote:The last two reserves are more demanding than the previous ones, when TgT was released it was explained that would have more graphical demand and so it can be run in low level of detail like the others, just medium and up, and Picca have a lot more trees and "decorations" to make you feel like you are in a jungle, then you got the animals, no wonder it can be more demanding than lets say Loggers.

But there has been fps drops that seem more game end related, i guess the fps drops are not entirely related to the user pc/laptop performance.
Yes the last 2 reserves are definitely more demanding than any other reserve, but that does not mean it's meant to run like that. Explain why I can run, for example, The Witcher 3, completely maxed out on 1440p at easily over 120fps. But in this 10 year old game for some reason I get 45-50? The game does not know how to use the complete power of newer systems. May be more of an engine problem than a game problem though...
Spoiler:

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Because, as i said at the end of my post, there are fps drops that seems to be game end related, or said in other way, a problem with the game way to handle the gpu usage, i have a toaster, my gpu is an old ati 7760 card, but just like you pointed i can handle more graphical demanding games than The Hunter, and i can play in Picca with the decent fps, but someone with a much better gpu card may end with similar fps to my old gpu, at least in Picca and TgT, so its not all related to what gpu does the user have, also there is something wrong with the game. A clear example was the bug were many people with good gpu had serious troubles of fps drops when aiming their weapons in a tower, it was solved just some weeks ago.

ImageImage
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

JK_ElkHunter wrote:Explain why I can run, for example, The Witcher 3, completely maxed out on 1440p at easily over 120fps. But in this 10 year old game for some reason I get 45-50? The game does not know how to use the complete power of newer systems. May be more of an engine problem than a game problem though...
It's definitely an engine problem, but with the later reserves such as Timbergold Trails and Piccabeen Bay there are clearly some assets which have much higher poly counts than older reserves. This is great for the artists as it enables them to create more realistic assets, and the end result is a much more beautiful reserve. The downside is the performance hit. At some point back in 2015 the developers figured out how to add the appearance of fur to animals. They do this using a technique called alpha compositing. It's a workaround that gives the appearance of fur, but it also has a resource cost. I believe the first animals to include this were bison, arctic foxes, and maybe snowshoe hares. I'm not saying that's entirely responsible for frame rate hits on any reserve, but one species which I think was poorly optimised was the ptarmigan (all varieties) and it also utilises this technique. If you look closely at them you can see they're quite detailed. I suspect they have an extremely high poly count, and if you consider the fact they general spawn in abundance, it's no wonder some people get huge performance issues in their vicinity.

I think we need to live with these sorts of issues, as I seriously doubt there's any time set aside to work on optimisation.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

caledonianblues wrote:This is great for the artists as it enables them to create more realistic assets, and the end result is a much more beautiful reserve.
Just asking. If they could create more realistic assets, why is the Grey Wolf way out of proportion size wise, and the head of the Grizzly?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Just asking. If they could create more realistic assets, why is the Grey Wolf way out of proportion size wise, and the head of the Grizzly?
In a 3D model, more polygons generally equate to more detail, and hopefully more realism. It doesn't mean the models in the game look exactly like their real world counterparts. That comes down to research, attention to detail and the talent of the artist (and probably also time constraints) :)

Proportion issues are not really exclusive to the wolf. They affect many of the animals in the game. I think scaling is carried out for a number of reasons, but in addition there are certain aspects of some animals that are disproportional to the rest of the model. I do agree, some of the animals are comically oversized, and some suffer from odd features stemming from lack of knowledge, lack of research, or lack of time (maybe a combination of each).
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well i think some animals are oversized for the same reason there are track domes and the Huntermate, to make a compromise between realism and game play, not everyone who play the hunter hunt irl, or know enough about the real animals, and devs need make compromises to keep the game appealing for the most people possible without losing too much realism. Its a delicate balance.

ImageImage

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”