Motion Predator Decoy not working in LP

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Motion Predator Decoy not working in LP

Post by Generalkommendant »

Standing in the middle tower in LP. The Coyotes have stopped at my permanent "MPD" before. But yesterday they just went straight to me and my caller, while standing in the tower. Anyone else noticing?
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Motion Predator Decoy not working in LP

Post by Tod1d »

What is the distance from you to the MPD, and which direction did they approach from? I think there is a minimum distance from the MPD to be attracted.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Tod1d wrote:What is the distance from you to the MPD, and which direction did they approach from? I think there is a minimum distance from the MPD to be attracted.
From up the tower it's 24m away to the North. From the ground, underneath the tower, it equals to 20m. They're coming from the North.
I didn't know there was a minimum distance(?). I have one at about the same distance, even shorter I think, in VdB working just fine. Another one in WHI at the minimum distance from the tripod, working fine. Although, the LP and WHI locations truly suck so I must move them anyway. When I get the energy.
I was just afraid there are something wrong with 'em coyotes minds! (Maybe they don't recognize the rabbit decoy in LP anymore? Not having any cottontails left... ;) ).
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I'm not sure, I thought they had to pass within a minimum distance to be attracted. But if it's only 20m away, and they're coming right past the decoy, there must be something goofy. I think there's also a random factor, in that they aren't guaranteed to be attracted even within the distance.

I just recently used one on WH to test out the new .17 HMR ammo, and it seemed to work pretty good. I'd place the decoy at 200m, and call from about 175m then return to my shooting spot. I could even see when they switched from being attracted to the caller, then to the decoy. They would move slower & approach the decoy.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Tod1d wrote:I'm not sure, I thought they had to pass within a minimum distance to be attracted. But if it's only 20m away, and they're coming right past the decoy, there must be something goofy. I think there's also a random factor, in that they aren't guaranteed to be attracted even within the distance.
I think I heard at the release that if there was only a line of sight they would approache the decoy. I don't know. It seems they approach it if they're closer than some "X distance" at all times. Something like 30-50m.
I just recently used one on WH to test out the new .17 HMR ammo, and it seemed to work pretty good. I'd place the decoy at 200m, and call from about 175m then return to my shooting spot. I could even see when they switched from being attracted to the caller, then to the decoy. They would move slower & approach the decoy.
Yeah, it always works for the foxes in VdB. I have one in between a tower and a TS. They always seem to line up perfectly with a nice broadside at 20m. Very convenient indeed. In WHI it's a bit goofier. And now, yesterday, in LP as well. Worth to mention is that I have E-callers at both those locations. But since it rarely comes any coyotes for those locations it's too soon to rule out any bugs. That's why I made this thread here, if it's happening to anyone else. Or NOT happening.

I was hunting Bobcats (got a nice 9.4ish!) when a pack of coyotes came by. But they went straight for me, not stopping at the decoy. If they could just come by a bit more often it would be easy to tell. Well... I'll have to let the time do its part here.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

The minimum distance is 50 meters and they need line of sight iirc. And the decoy should override any call as far as I know.
Image Image Image

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”