Pintail flocks not breaking

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Theocrates

Pintail flocks not breaking

Post by Theocrates »

I'm out on the Bayou hunting with 4 spinners of each type plus 4 idle style of each type. I can not get a Pintail flock to break to save my life. They all appear as 1 icon on the huntermate, other species break just fine, I have and use the PIntail long range caller, and yet Pintail flocks just fly over and ignore it. Since I'm trying to complete the Duck missions you can understand its driving me a little bit nuts. Any tips, suggestions, possible issues you guys have would be great.

Edit: SO far this hunt 2 pintails that broke as part of mixed flocks and followed a duck of another species down. No FLocks broken, 62 shots fired on breakers, 16 ga Double Barrel.
22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

Re: Pintail flocks not breaking

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

I'm getting the same problem. It seems to me that the Northern Pintails completely ignore their Long Range Caller. On one occasion, I had a flock of American Blacks with 1 Pintail in, and even though I was using the Northern Pintail Long Range Caller, all the American Blacks broke formation and the only one that kept flying was the Pintail. When I do get Pintails to break formation, I can't tell if it's because of the Comeback Caller or just the lure probability of the Decoys. The next time I see a full flock of Pintails (which in itself seems comparatively rare), I'm gonna try the Mallard Long Range on them - just in case there's been some mix up in their programming.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Since the comeback caller don't work on pintail you can take that out of it.
Spoiler:
22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

Roger. I hadn't noticed. Thanks. ;)

I only managed to try it twice, but it doesn't seem as though the Mallard LR Caller works on Pintails either, so it likely isn't a mixed up in the programming of which caller they should respond to.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

Has anyone got a setup where pintail flocks break as consistently as other flocks? The LR caller doesn't work - I'm wondering if one of the decoy types work more effectively. I have 2 spinner decoys of each species, and I'd say my pintail flocks break as though there were only 2 spinners or less. Thinking of adding 2 more pintail spinners, but wanted to check here first, as that's a pricey experiment.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

LEFLOR
Scout

Post by LEFLOR »

My setup :
- mallard 1 spinner + 6 statics,
- pintail 1 spinner + 3 statics,
- gadwall 1 spinner + 3 statics,
- american black duck 2 spinners

In theory total attraction 24 decoy for each species, 100% attraction for each species.

I use the long range calls and if they no break I use the comeback, I very rarely use the short range calls (my setup makes me pass the birds quite close)

Since I have this setup the result is :
- mallard 815,
- pintail 321,
- gadwall 191,
- american black duck 318.
all in the bag :)

If I have a little time, I will go and test if nothing has changed since I haven't hunted ducks
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

My harvest counts are similar to yours :

Mallard 1066
Pintail 329
Gadwall 299
American 422

but it really seems that the 100% pintail flocks only break half the time or less. I'd expect more frequent breaks. (I've noticed that if a non-pintail is in a pintail flock, and I can get it to break, it brings some adjacent pintails with it.)

More gadwalls would be nice, but I think they are just less common than the other ducks...

Yes, there's a lot of things in this game which are 'theoretically like so'... Yet some callers don't work and other callers work for species they aren't intended for...
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”