Can't get the game to run well

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Thoke2014
Scout

Re: Can't get the game to run well

Post by Thoke2014 »

The lag was getting bad and I need a new one anyways so just ordered a 144Hz with Freesync, looking forward to when it arrives.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

You're not getting better frame rates by buying a different monitor.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

It wasn't my frame rate that's the problem, I'm running 80-90 FPS, the problem is my monitor is having trouble handling that many frames per second.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Thoke2014 wrote:It wasn't my frame rate that's the problem, I'm running 80-90 FPS, the problem is my monitor is having trouble handling that many frames per second.
What do you mean by that?
Spoiler:
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Thoke2014 wrote: The problem is my monitor is only rated for 60Hz and I can notice the frames getting skipped as the monitor is overloading, not getting any tearing however. Do you think upgrading to a 144Hz monitor would fix this issues, this current one is 3 years old and I think its time for a new one anyways.
You're confusing frame rates (fps) with monitor refresh rates (Hz), Google it to understand the difference. A 60hz monitor can handle hundreds for frames per second just fine.
Thoke2014 wrote:I can notice the frames getting skipped as the monitor is overloading
Any program that shows the frame rates, shows the frame rates that are produce by the graphics card, it's completely independent of the monitor.
Extort713
Tracker

Post by Extort713 »

I run the game with a i5 [email protected]/ 16gb/ GTX 970 4gb/ 250gb SSD/ Windows 10/ 1080p@60hz, everything at max settings, I'm usually always at 60fps. So our systems are a kinda similar performance wise. I run the game in windowed mode with a borderless window application, with v-sync enabled, because screen tearing is not acceptable.

I don't normally run into fps issues with the game, when piccabean bay was released the swamp really dump on my frames probably because the trees, it's much better now though. BRR the area in the NW also dumps my fps because of the trees, most likely both instances were due to poorly optimized textures and an over use of them. Also when I'm hunting in a tree stand and I have had around 20 animals come through the area their tracks start to drop my fps until I harvest all of them.

You could try out windowed mode, if that works out for you then you could try using a borderless app as well; I don't know where to get the one I use anymore though, but there are a lot out there.

If you want even better fps you should return the monitor and upgrade the gpu, that is the only real way to see any better performance. The 144hz monitor will have even worse screen tearing if you can't render that many frames for this game anyway.

dxdiag report would be helpful information to give when asking for help with your pc's performance btw.
Extort713
Tracker

Post by Extort713 »

A 60hz monitor can handle hundreds for frames per second just fine.
This will produce screen tearing as well, it will over right the next frame that is suppose to be shown before the monitor can show it. This is why 144hz monitors are so popular, however a person that wants to use them needs the GPU to produce that amount of frames to eliminate screen tearing.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Extort713 wrote:The 144hz monitor will have even worse screen tearing if you can't render that many frames for this game anyway.
Wrong, because the one he ordered has Freesync, his monitor refresh rate will synchronize with the frame rates.
Extort713 wrote:This will produce screen tearing as well, it will over right the next frame that is suppose to be shown before the monitor can show it. This is why 144hz monitors are so popular, however a person that wants to use them needs the GPU to produce that amount of frames to eliminate screen tearing.
Wrong again, vsync will solve that. Secondly, 144hz alone is not the solution, you need adaptive sync in combination for best results.
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

I can't particularly explain the problem, I turned the v-sync off and my FPS went up to 80-90 consistently (not having any major drops). However the game seems slower, it's a different looking problem to when I used to have FPS drops to 40-50. When I had v-sync on the game would run well almost all game except for a few drops, without it on the game has this problem from start to end no matter what. The game gets slightly blurred around the edges and is sort of jittery. I tried running it in windowed mode and that didn't fix the problem unfortunately. I'm going to try the new monitor, if it doesn't fix the problem I can send it back.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Thoke2014 wrote:I can't particularly explain the problem, I turned the v-sync off and my FPS went up to 80-90 consistently.
Vsync locks the frame rate to 60fps to match your frame rate with the refresh rate of your monitor to avoid screen tearing, so it's quite normal to see your frame rates go up once you turn vsync off when the card was already producing higher frame rates than 60.

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”