Can't get the game to run well

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Thoke2014
Scout

Can't get the game to run well

Post by Thoke2014 »

I was hoping someone in this section might be able to help me figure out why my new PC seems to run the game as poorly as my old PC did even though I upgraded pretty much everything. It seems like whenever I get into thicker brush or get near large quantities of animals (ptarmigans are especially bad) my FPS drops down to around 50 and last night it even got down to 40 which made everything look jerky. It also seems to increase later in games which from what I read may point to my card heating up and not getting as good performance. I'm wondering if this is game optimization problem or if I might not be getting the performance out of this computer I should be. The thing is my old computer never had a problem on areas like Whitehart Island or Hemmendal but couldn't run well on TGT or Whiterime no matter how low I put the settings (I'd get huge FPS drops looking into scope or walking in any type of vegetation). This computer the problems seem to be distributed across all the reserves, even though I can now run well on TGT and Whiterime until I encounter very heavy brush or large amounts of animals. I know almost nothing about computers so any help is appreciated.

My computer specs are as follows:
CPU : Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz
GPU : AMD Rx 580 4GB
Ram : 8 GB DDR4
1 TB HDD (7200 RPM)
Windows 10
Monitor : Acer H226 21.5"

I'm currently running the game on
Scene Complexity : High
Texture Quality : High
Shadows : Medium
MAA : 1x
AF : None
Fullscreen
V-sync on
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Re: Can't get the game to run well

Post by BuiuRei »

Disable V-Sync, problem solved.
I get now 70-80 fps where v-sync was dropping it to half of that.

EDIT: I should say my setup is similar to yours (Pentium G4560 @3.5ghz, RX 480 8GB, 8GB DDR4 @2133mhz) and I play on Very High/High/High/4x/8x with v-sync off. Fullscreen I get some tearing, but since I always play windowed (borderless, actually), I don't get tearing even if I'm at 100+ fps.
EDIT2: With migratory animals such reindeer and ptarmigan, my fps drops a lot too.
Spoiler:
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

Thanks BuiuRei, I'll give it a shot. Last night when I got hit the worst on Hemmendal was when I had 20 reindeer around me so that probably had something to do with it. Really stinks that that's the case with Reindeer given that I'm trying to compete in Dyeuz's comp.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

What could be my problem then guys ?
I mean , this game is very frustrating right now for me . I've tried many setups combination ( settings ) and i just can't get a decent gameplay , like i used to have before Pika Bay was introduce .
I have a mix of low and med settings right now and V-Sync disable at a resolution of : 1920 x 1080 60 Hz

My FPS is like a monster roller coaster ride . I start at a tent or lodge at 80 / 90 FPS and can drop in some areas of the map , at 10/15 FPS . I need to run sometimes to even be able to go forward a little , its crazy . Thought of replacing my graphic card . But is that the problem ? idk enough to say .

If anyone can help me out , i would be very great full . I'm just not a PC wizard also .

Intel Core i7-4790 ...CPU @ 3.60GHz ...16.00GB Ram ...Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 .
Drivers are all up to date .

tyvm

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

From time to time, mostly on Hemmeldal, my game sticks at 10-15 fps. This surely is some bug since my hardware resources are extremely under utilized when this happens.
If I fast travel, the game "fixes" itself. Doesn't happen most of the times, though.
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

... So Buiurei, you saying that the game can have its part of responsibility ,in our lagging issues ? That its not all our machines that are weak ?

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

DYEUZ wrote:... So Buiurei, you saying that the game can have its part of responsibility ,in our lagging issues ? That its not all our machines that are weak ?
I'm saying that on the odd time my fps drops from 80 to 10 and goes back to 80 after a fast travel, yes, for sure.
The migration animal issue is another deal.
And v-sync is a third issue.
Spoiler:
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

I think piccabeen is involved in these issues. After its release came out new severe issue and bugs. I've an old PC, but before Piccabeen I never had problems, now I'm also experiencing many issues.
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

Alright Buiurei, it worked somewhat. I'm now averaging around 80-90 FPS on slightly worse setting than you listed you had been running. The problem is my monitor is only rated for 60Hz and I can notice the frames getting skipped as the monitor is overloading, not getting any tearing however. Do you think upgrading to a 144Hz monitor would fix this issues, this current one is 3 years old and I think its time for a new one anyways.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Thoke2014 wrote:Alright Buiurei, it worked somewhat. I'm now averaging around 80-90 FPS on slightly worse setting than you listed you had been running. The problem is my monitor is only rated for 60Hz and I can notice the frames getting skipped as the monitor is overloading, not getting any tearing however. Do you think upgrading to a 144Hz monitor would fix this issues, this current one is 3 years old and I think its time for a new one anyways.
My monitor is 60hz as well and as long as you don't have screen tearing, you're good (unless you want/can get a 144hz screen, which would undoubtedly be better input lag wise).

EDIT: Just to be clear we're on the same page, this is screen tearing (a pretty bad example but that's almost what I get if I run v-sync off and fullscreen):

Last edited by BuiuRei on April 7th, 2018, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”