Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Dennis Borg
Hunter

Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Post by Dennis Borg »

Hello everyone!

Right now I am looking for players that have issues with the repeated download that never gets done and seem to always fail. I could use some help trying something out so if you have issues and want to give this a try then leave a comment here and I will contact you with information. Hoping to have this tested as soon as possible so we know if we are on the right track! :)
beau_76
Scout

Re: Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Post by beau_76 »

I get error where it thinks there a left over file then keeps doing full download over and over
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I came to the hunter site and full game d/l began even before I could sign in.
signed in to game and patch d/l began with also full d/l.
kept getting error that it wasn't deleting file to write over new file.
closed opening hunter page and d/l & patch completed to let the game load all the way.
seems to be working now.
It was a few days ago that I had signed in before today.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Dennis,

I get the error message half way through the patching. The update downloads to 100%, then automatically changes to 'patching' which starts up and about half done, it suddenly says the language referring to the old game file is not being empty and proceeds to a full download of the game.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DerrickDude
Tracker

Post by DerrickDude »

Maybe this will help Dennis!

I have been experiencing patching errors and reinstalling of the game for the last five patches. Here are the symptoms I have observed and the corrections I had to do to get my game working again. I'm sorry that I didn't get the error messages word for word in some cases.

Symptoms:

1. Patch downloads and unpacks ok but errors out in the installer. Installer then quits and download of entire game begins.

2. If left alone entire game download will complete. If launcher is closed down, download will not resume where it left off and begin an entire new download.

3. Once game download is complete it will unpack and installer will run. Installer will complain it can't find a file and open a "select source" window. Checked and found that one binary file will be missing in the download folder (/thehunter/download/patchnumberdirectory/) Binaries are numbered xxxxxxxxxxx-1.bin, xxxxxxxxxxx-2.bin, and so on. Usually the first file (xxxxxxxxx-1.bin) will be missing. I have watched this folder and seen that it was never sent from the server to begin with.

4. This cycle will continue a few times. I don't know the exact count as I have never gone beyond two entire game downloads.

Actions to get working game:

1. Uninstall Launcher from Windows.

2. Remove thehunter directory from C:/Users/username/Appdata/Roaming

3. Log onto thehunter.com via Firefox and download and install the current launcher.

4. Open Launcher and download and install game again. This usually makes everything work again until the next patch.

My thoughts:

I think the patches are either leaving "dirty" files or references in cache directories since deleting them seems to make the install happy again. Also, the download servers are not sending all the files once a download is triggered from an erred patch.

vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

I have the problem with all last patches and I solved that by luck i think when the launcher stopped working at the end of an entire game download. I has before found that every time a patch reported an error and the installation stopped after 2 or 3 messages that the installer can't emptying the download folder,the game folder was empty causing the launcher starting a new complete download. but even after a complete game download I has the same error.
The cause of all this is that the installer don't extract the content of bin files to the game directory but to the download one after that it emptying the game folder and when the launcher report that it can't emptying the download folder and we push the OK it emptying the download folder also.
After the launcher stopped working I reported before I found all bin files the manifest file and the installer to the download folder. I was to the task manager to see that the launcher was really stopped then I executed the installer .All files extracted was in the download folder. After putting all bin folder to a safe place i deleted the bin the manifest and the installer.exe and moving all folders and files (archives folder sound folder etc) to the game folder run the launcher and the game started normally .
Conclusion: I think the problem is in the patch cfg file and in the installer. But for me the solution is to gives patches and entire game to an self extracted individual file or all bin files and the installer to an individual compressed (rar or zip) file for people that have a slow internet connection to avoid download inf again and again.
omarmoustafa93

Post by omarmoustafa93 »

mine keeps doing a full download everytime i open launcher because some file in program files wont delete so i uninstalled whole game until next update then ill re-install
Dennis Borg
Hunter

Post by Dennis Borg »

Still looking for players that have the repeated download issue right now.
xyl
Scout

Post by xyl »

Hi Dennis,
When I log in game goes to download right away. Sometimes it will download entire game but when it goes to extract it will not . Get error that file is corrupted. Sometimes it will do partial download and ask for next disk. Get message like abort,retry,ignore. retry and ignore do not work. When you select abort it goes right back in to another download. I know this isn't much to go on but I'm not that computer savvy. Thanks xyl. :)
ClemD
Scout

Post by ClemD »

With the last game update, using the old launcher, it downloaded the full game 3-4 times and each time during the patching process it would stop at Patching file 36/370 at 10% with a message that “theHunter Launcher has stopped working”. I had no other alternative than click OK and it would close the game.

At one point, I went into “Program Files (x86)/theHunter/Launcher” and started it by clicking “launcher.exe”. Instead of starting the old launcher, it started the new one, downloaded and installed a few small updates and finally went past where it was stopping before. And all of a sudden my game was working properly.

I can hardly understand that the first update was on the old launcher and when I went into the game folder, it started the new launcher.

So now I always start the game through the website and then clicking on HUNT NOW and it works properly.

I also had a lot of problems when I downloaded the new reserve but at one point I was able to play the game.

Rare: 153 – Non-Typical: 12
Competitions: 82 – Gold: 25, Silver: 29, Bronze: 23, Events: 5

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”