2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by MooseHunter330 »

We have a full moon at the moment so I took the opportunity and shot this boar with the Heym SR21 8x57JS.
Shot distance was 95 meters. The bullet entered behind the shoulder blade on the left side and went out through the shoulder on the other side, hitting the lungs and liver.
It appeared in a group of maybe six boars. Following the shot, the boar turned around on the spot and disappeared into the brush. I had just created the most dangerous situation in German hunting.
After 15 minutes, I inspected the blood trail and was relieved to find lots of both dark and light red blood. It shouldn't have gone too far.
Cautious still, I drove home and got my dad to help me search and, if necessary, dispatch it. In moments like these I'm always thankful, that I own a HART thorn-and-boar-proof jacket and pair of pants.
Also took my Parforce Boar Dagger (just in case ;) ) and so we got into the brush, sometimes having to resort to crawling. After a while, there was tons of blood, light red, too.
We found the animal a good 100 meters into the bushes (felt like a kilometre, though). It was much bigger than I had originally thought, but thankfully the shot brought it down quickly.
I had to drag it out of the brush since I had not hit it far enough in front and I dearly regretted putting that Geco Plus bonded bullet a little farther back.
After I got out of there huffing and puffing, we estimated it to weigh right around 120lbs field dressed. We did get a surprise today, though. Upon weighing the animal, the scale showed a hefty 156lbs.
Anyways, I'm happy to have finally shot a decent boar with the Heym. This might have been the only chance to get a shot in the last 2 weeks.
Spoiler:
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice Boar :)

We have a lot of trouble with rabbits stripping the bark off of our young trees and killing them in the winter so the past few nights I've been trying to take care of them. My set up is a pile of birdseed about 10 yards off the porch. When the rabbits come in, I turn off every light in the house and leave the porch light on so they don't see me. I then crack the sliding door about 2 feet, then go back behind the kitchen table in order to get bow clearance. Gives me about a 15 yard shot.
This guy came in with three others last night. The judo point really tore a hole in him!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Nice Boar :)

We have a lot of trouble with rabbits stripping the bark off of our young trees and killing them in the winter so the past few nights I've been trying to take care of them. My set up is a pile of birdseed about 10 yards off the porch. When the rabbits come in, I turn off every light in the house and leave the porch light on so they don't see me. I then crack the sliding door about 2 feet, then go back behind the kitchen table in order to get bow clearance. Gives me about a 15 yard shot.
This guy came in with three others last night. The judo point really tore a hole in him!
You must be a pretty good shot if you don't worry about hitting the window or wall. 8-)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

walt133 wrote: You must be a pretty good shot if you don't worry about hitting the window or wall. 8-)
Great, next time I get ready to shoot, that's what I'm going to think about and I'm gonna stick one right in the wall :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
walt133 wrote: You must be a pretty good shot if you don't worry about hitting the window or wall. 8-)
Great, next time I get ready to shoot, that's what I'm going to think about and I'm gonna stick one right in the wall :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Here is my most recent prey: A wild boar weighing in at approx. 110lbs and a red fox.
The boar I shot on sunday, utilizing the freshly falling snow. I shot it behind the shoulder blade, hitting the lungs and liver.
The 8mm Geco Plus bullet from my Heym dropped it within 50m and I had one heck of a time pulling it up that hill you can see in the background.
The fox I took yesterday in the solar plant. It was baited with the boar's innards.
I shot it at 45 meters with a Blaser R93 in .223 Remington using a 40gr. V-Max Bullet.
It dropped as if hit by lightning with no damage to the pelt whatsoever.

Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Nice fox, boar combo MooseHunter. And I like that coat. Looks really warm. I might need to find me one of those. It’s been about 15degrees F since end of November and windy. Makes it hard to get out. I’ve been out predator hunting quite a bit around here anyway. We’ve been finding several coyote kills on the property since after deer season. Seeing a lot of fox and coyote on trail cams. No dogs down yet but a lot of coons. Hopefully that will spare a few turkey eggs come spring time. 50gr V-Max .223 Image
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice guys! I wish it wasn't so cold right now (although I love the cold) since everything is laying low. Haven't seen a fresh rabbit track in a few days.

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Good looking raccoons you got there! I bet those would make for some nice hats ;)
As for the coat- yes. It is pretty warm. If I had worn it pulling that boar up the hill, I would have worked up quite a sweat.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

VERY nice guns as well Raptor. ;) That'll get the jealousy going! :D

Return to “The Great Outdoors”