Cutting my teeth on ducks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by Radamus »

Any spot is a good spot but some are better than others in terms of visibility. I like to find a spot where it's the widest open possible.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Good stuff thanks! I guess I need to spend more time with the Wiki!

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Gewehrwolf wrote:As far as I understood, from the store description and from what I've read on the wiki and forums, attraction is capped at 24 decoys @100%. Since a mallard decoy has 100% on mallard and 50% on other ducks, I thought you could reach that 100% using 48 mallard. Like it would be 48x50%. But checking the store again, it also says 'To get max attraction for other ducks 12 species specific decoys must be added. Additional decoys added after 24 have no effect on probability.' so you're probably right.
Right! The attraction of mallard decoys, even for other species, caps at 24 decoys. So you need the additional 12 specific decoys for pintails, gadwalls and ABDs to reach 100% attraction for those species.
Image Image Image
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I recomend getting 18 mallards and a pintail spinning wing decoy, and a gadwall spinning wing decoy. Black ducks are easy to call in with just mallard decoys.
That combination works perfect at pulling in every duck from 7/10 of the flocks that fly by. Most of the time only 2-5 ducks will break. More will break if you get more decoys.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

FWIW I bought the 36 duck bundle & had what I think was reasonable success. A flock would occasionally pass over that none of them broke from the flock. When they did break it was typically 3-5 ducks.
I dont know if that is typical success but I "feel" like more should have broke. I may put up a couple spinners just because.... :D

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

With good shooting I like to call 30+ in an hour a pretty good spawn/break, sometimes it's 25 and others 40/hr - I usually spawn at a lodge and have my blind/tent/decoys under a Km away so it costs 1 camping supply to go there- There will probably already be ducks there or flying over pretty quickly. If you spawn at your blind, it can take a while before you see a flock. This way, you don't pay the "spawn" penalty starting at your setup.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

Now I'm a little confused. Does it make any sense to place any extra decoys in addition to 24 mallard, to increase attraction on other duck species? Like placing 24 mallard and 2 spinners of the other kinds? Because in the store, they keep saying that there will be no effect after 24.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Gewehrwolf wrote:Hi,

Now I'm a little confused. Does it make any sense to place any extra decoys in addition to 24 mallard, to increase attraction on other duck species? Like placing 24 mallard and 2 spinners of the other kinds? Because in the store, they keep saying that there will be no effect after 24.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
Sure, it does make sense. Decoys cap at 24, but that's separate for every species type. So if you're using the "regular" decoys, the perfect setup would be 24 mallard decoys plus 12 of each of the others (pintail, gadwall and ABD). Put all 60 decoys together into one "flock" and you'll have max attraction for every type of duck. 4 mallard spinning decoys and 2 spinning decoys of each of the other duck species should achieve the same effect.

If you have more than 24 decoys of one type, you better place the surplus into another setup. Even if the other setup is just 100 meters away, this can increase the area of attraction a little bit.
Image Image Image
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.
Tanngnjostr wrote:Decoys cap at 24, but that's separate for every species type.
This is the part that was confusing me, nice to have it clear now.
μολών λαβέ
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

As I said earlier I bought the 36 decoy bundle & was having fair success. 3-4 ducks would break from every flock. Well I decided to splurge just a little more & put the 4 spinning decoy bundle in my set as well & the results are remarkable. Now with every flock that comes by 10+ will break towards me. Allot more then I can shoot! I also noticed that with the spinners they seem to break from farther away too. It has made me aware of a whole new problem I have to *****. How to prioritize my targets. There are so many birds coming in I need to get better at planning how to engage them. I will knock down 2-3 & the rest will be out of range by the time I get on them. I carry 2 shotguns. I lead off with the 20ga auto then when it runs dry switch to the 10ga. Doing so the best I have managed was downing 5 birds in a single flock but 2-3 is more typical.

Return to “General Chat”