Important Security Reminder

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Important Security Reminder

Post by Fletchette »

gas56 wrote:Also a good reason to log in and out and should have that CAPTCHA on the 1st log in set up on theHunter game/forums.
Also daily clean your computer of cookies & temporary files for remembering passwords for sites that you use & like.
My accounts have never been compromised following this simple security procedure since the early 90's of being on the Internet.
And again Gas, this is not correct information. Logging out of a website doesn't really do anything other that expire the cookie on YOUR computer. The web server is not remembering that you are logged in.

Deleting cookies and temp files does nothing for securtity, since passwords are almost NEVER stored in cookies or temp files. And those cookies and temp files are on YOUR computer, not flying around the internet. If someone has remote access to your cookies, then your computer is ALREADY compromised.

In the current day, the only thing disabling or deleting cookies is doing is making your life harder. They are not a "security" risk, and haven't been for over a decade.
Personal Bests...
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Fletchette wrote: Deleting cookies and temp files does nothing for securtity, since passwords are almost NEVER stored in cookies or temp files. And those cookies and temp files are on YOUR computer, not flying around the internet. If someone has remote access to your cookies, then your computer is ALREADY compromised.

In the current day, the only thing disabling or deleting cookies is doing is making your life harder. They are not a "security" risk, and haven't been for over a decade.
Fletchette, if and when I need your expertise on security I will recommend you to the National Security Agency,..
but I don't ever expect you would have liked working there under all those hardships!....... :lol:
Have a nice day! :D
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Thank you for warning, Alena! All theHunter related passwords are brand new ones :twisted:
Spoiler:

drakle
Hunter

Post by drakle »

Thanks for the warning, updated my password.

Steam Username: ColdBloodCroc™
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

gas56 wrote:
Fletchette wrote: Deleting cookies and temp files does nothing for securtity, since passwords are almost NEVER stored in cookies or temp files. And those cookies and temp files are on YOUR computer, not flying around the internet. If someone has remote access to your cookies, then your computer is ALREADY compromised.

Fletchette, if and when I need your expertise on security I will recommend you to the National Security Agency,..
but I don't ever expect you would have liked working there under all those hardships!....... :lol:
Have a nice day! :D
LOL.....As usual, I have no idea what you're going on about. The NSA?!?....Hardship????....You're free to believe whatever nonsense you want, but try not to infect other people with it. I only responded because you are misleading OTHER people with outdated crap from the '90's. You don't need to believe me (a software engineer), you're on the internet.....Just look it up.

Web servers are stateless, they aren't remembering that you are logged in. Your browser is passing a temporary randomly generated token with every call to the server that identifies you and your session. It's not an open phone line that stays open until you hang up. Every call to the server is a new call, where your browser passes a token so the server lets you in again. Logging out does nothing more that tell YOUR browser to expire the token. The server doesn't care.

And passwords ARE NOT STORED IN COOKIES.
Personal Bests...
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

Alena Rybik wrote:Hi all,

We've just detected a range of unauthorized log in attempts to a number of players' accounts. (This usually happens when some site's database gets hacked / leaked and usernames and passwords become available to culprits who then try to log in to other sites using the acquired login details.)

Hence, an important security reminder: if you use the same login email and password on theHunter and other sites, or haven't changed your password in a long time, please change both (and make passwords different!). Always remember to use unique passwords on different sites to avoid losing your accounts - you can use special software to manage your passwords, this one is free, has good reviews, used by many and seems to be reliable.

Stay safe!
If a database gets hacked, wouldn't changing password be useless?
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Fletchette wrote: And passwords ARE NOT STORED IN COOKIES.
The path leads to where the password is.

Something you need to read and learn about hackers/crackers and where vulnerabilities are.
Here are 2 articles that explain it.
Last edited by caledonianblues on November 3rd, 2017, 7:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Removed links to hacking references
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Thanks Alena for the reminder. Changed my password i must have had for very long now. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

gas56 wrote:
Fletchette wrote: And passwords ARE NOT STORED IN COOKIES.
The path leads to where the password is.

Something you need to read and learn about hackers/crackers and where vulnerabilities are.
Here are 2 articles that explain it.

Cookies don't lead where the password is, they allow you to log into an account, but don't give you any password.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Changed my password, it was really tough to think of something I would remember but then I thought if I write it down here in the forum I could always find it again. So it is....... aaaahhhhh maybe not :lol:
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”