Status Update 19th May 2017 - Trophy Lodge!

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Violator31
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 19th May 2017 - Trophy Lodge!

Post by Violator31 »

phil1 wrote:The main purpose of a trophy room is to remember past successful hunts. To be told that it was considered 'too difficult' to have past animals available for display has stopped a lot of people buying it. I'm pleased that you are happy with the way it is at the moment, a lot of other people aren't.
You quoted that we were told it was considered "too difficult".... where was that quoted from? I've looked all over the place for it. I did find, in the status update where we were told;
" At the launch of the development process we were seriously investigating this option, but unfortunately we quickly discovered it would not be possible due to technical limitations. In order to recreate a trophy from a harvested animal we are now sending and saving a whole bunch of new data, which we simply didn’t have any reason to store before."
I did find this explanation as to why it hasn't been done. I do see in that thread where it is said "taxidermy on historic animals was just too much work". It makes sense that the more work goes into a product, the more they have to charge for it. Then they have to determine where to draw the line in order to keep the price balanced.
I've been hunting in real life for over 40 years, trust me, there are a LOT of critters I wish I could have hanging on the wall. Lack of money was my main reason. But, regardless the reason, just like now in the game, hindsight is 20/20.
I've been a customer here for a bunch of years & I have a lot of unique harvests that would be cool to have mounted. But, it's a new feature. We can't go back to use the new trophy poses with them either, because, again, it's a new feature. I guess I will just enjoy the trophy room from here forward. I hope you are able to do the same.
Happy hunting.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

MonacoSteve wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:
Hunter300 wrote:I really wish that the developers would consider HooCairs' excellent suggestion, the same kind of thoughts have been on my mind too.
It has been considered.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p874994
Honestly, I would not order replicas, even if I could get some.
If the option was there, you would not spend a few em$ to have this in your trophy lodge? Really?

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
lowby
Outfitter

Post by lowby »

HooCairs wrote:If the option was there, you would not spend a few em$ to have this in your trophy lodge? Really?
I would allways wanted a german in my lodge :lol:
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

HooCairs wrote:
reinholt12 wrote:Hopefully this changes because i cant see why its made that way honestly.
I agree with you. The animal should always end up in the lodge of the shooting person, not the harvesting person. The person harvesting the animal should not get the taxidermy option, as they would have to pay for someone else. In that case only the web option should be available, and this only to the shooting person.
I was just thinking about this again....like I've said many times, I don't do a lot of MP hunts, but I can already imagine the scenario where you are on someone else's server, you shoot a monster. The score is shown at the bottom of the screen. Your host sees this & thinks about how it would look in his trophy room & boots you from the game & goes to harvest your trophy for his trophy room. :twisted:
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Violator31 wrote:I was just thinking about this again....like I've said many times, I don't do a lot of MP hunts, but I can already imagine the scenario where you are on someone else's server, you shoot a monster. The score is shown at the bottom of the screen. Your host sees this & thinks about how it would look in his trophy room & boots you from the game & goes to harvest your trophy for his trophy room. :twisted:
Once the score is shown on your screen, it's too late to kick another player and harvest it yourself. The score is only shown when the animal has already been harvested. What could happen though: someone writes into chat that he just shot a big albino elk and gets kicked before he can collect it. I agree that only the person that killed an animal should be able to taxidermize it!
MonacoSteve wrote:Honestly, I would not order replicas, even if I could get some. It would not be the same, even if everything in this game is just virtual and not "real". Living under an irreversible time vector, I guess we humans sometimes will simply have to accept the fact that time which passed is gone forever, and not everything from the old times should be recovered.
I fully agree with this! Especially if the replicas wouldn't have the exact same antler configuration but be just an estimation. Actually I like the fact that we all have to start from scratch with the lodges. But maybe it's just because I wouldn't have many great trophies from the past anyway. Maybe that 325 NT whitetail... :roll:
Image Image Image
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

HooCairs wrote: If the option was there, you would not spend a few em$ to have this in your trophy lodge? Really?

Honestly, no, Hoo. I remember this unusual big albino. I made that trophy shot at the time (bad enough quality because I played on a laptop with low resolution), but if I started to recover it for the trophy room, I would feel the need to recover >20 other wonderful trophies which I probably got in the last 8 years - and many of which I probably do not remember so well. If that sounds like a "all-or-nothing mentality, you are probably right. Nevertheless, I prefer a fresh start - hopefully looking forward into 8 more years of great simhunting :D
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

Violator31 wrote:
phil1 wrote:The main purpose of a trophy room is to remember past successful hunts. To be told that it was considered 'too difficult' to have past animals available for display has stopped a lot of people buying it. I'm pleased that you are happy with the way it is at the moment, a lot of other people aren't.
You quoted that we were told it was considered "too difficult".... where was that quoted from? I've looked all over the place for it. I did find, in the status update where we were told;
" At the launch of the development process we were seriously investigating this option, but unfortunately we quickly discovered it would not be possible due to technical limitations. In order to recreate a trophy from a harvested animal we are now sending and saving a whole bunch of new data, which we simply didn’t have any reason to store before."
I did find this explanation as to why it hasn't been done. I do see in that thread where it is said "taxidermy on historic animals was just too much work". It makes sense that the more work goes into a product, the more they have to charge for it. Then they have to determine where to draw the line in order to keep the price balanced.
I've been hunting in real life for over 40 years, trust me, there are a LOT of critters I wish I could have hanging on the wall. Lack of money was my main reason. But, regardless the reason, just like now in the game, hindsight is 20/20.
I've been a customer here for a bunch of years & I have a lot of unique harvests that would be cool to have mounted. But, it's a new feature. We can't go back to use the new trophy poses with them either, because, again, it's a new feature. I guess I will just enjoy the trophy room from here forward. I hope you are able to do the same.
Happy hunting.

My apologies for using the term 'too difficult' when I should have said 'too much work'. I'm sure the pedants amongst us will be able to spot the difference, either way, my friends who were keen on buying a trophy room still haven't because of it.

I bow to your experience of 40 plus years hunting in IRL, myself, I only have 37.

The trophy room won't affect me, unless some bugs are introduced into the core game, like freezes during animal harvests :roll: , I only posted because so many of my younger friends were disappointed by the functionality of the feature.
MonacoSteve wrote:
HooCairs wrote: If the option was there, you would not spend a few em$ to have this in your trophy lodge? Really?

Honestly, no, Hoo. I remember this unusual big albino. I made that trophy shot at the time (bad enough quality because I played on a laptop with low resolution), but if I started to recover it for the trophy room, I would feel the need to recover >20 other wonderful trophies which I probably got in the last 8 years - and many of which I probably do not remember so well. If that sounds like a "all-or-nothing mentality, you are probably right. Nevertheless, I prefer a fresh start - hopefully looking forward into 8 more years of great simhunting :D
Imagine the revenue stream available for EW if it were possible. >20 harvests per player @ 6,000,000 players @ 20$ems each, that's erm... a lot of em$.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

phil1 wrote:Imagine the revenue stream available for EW if it were possible. >20 harvests per player @ 6,000,000 players @ 20$ems each, that's erm... a lot of em$.
Yeah, that's probably a completely different argument. It must be calculated against the development costs to enable such a function, though, and if I understood Devs correctly, this would be a big pile of work. (And I am sure that we have a lot less active players then 6 Mio.)
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

MonacoSteve wrote:
phil1 wrote:Imagine the revenue stream available for EW if it were possible. >20 harvests per player @ 6,000,000 players @ 20$ems each, that's erm... a lot of em$.
Yeah, that's probably a completely different argument. It must be calculated against the development costs to enable such a function, though, and if I understood Devs correctly, this would be a big pile of work. (And I am sure that we have a lot less active players then 6 Mio.)
Ya think?
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

MonacoSteve wrote:And I am sure that we have a lot less active players then 6 Mio.
Goto this link: http://steamcharts.com/app/253710
You'll find it's about 700 players average in the last 30 days.
Playerbase is really low now.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”