Status Update 5th May 2017

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Post by JimboCrow »

I agree with DHRifleman. This is a game. The once mighty Polar Bear issue is now officially a non-issue. The Africa issue would soon suffer the same ignominious anticlimax. "Not with a bang but a whimper." Sooner or later the heckling would die down, and we would proceed on our imaginary hunts as before, without ANY real world consequences.

Does anyone think GTA would be anywhere near as successful without the human violence, its stock in trade? That franchise's ethical questions seem far more serious to me than ours, simply because of the scope of the game and the endless opportunities to act out, neither of which is true here. EW is missing out on a financial windfall opportunity.

(DISCLAIMER: No animals were harmed in the real world during the making of this post.)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

JimboCrow wrote:I agree with DHRifleman. This is a game. The once mighty Polar Bear issue is now officially a non-issue. The Africa issue would soon suffer the same ignominious anticlimax. "Not with a bang but a whimper." Sooner or later the heckling would die down, and we would proceed on our imaginary hunts as before, without ANY real world consequences.

Does anyone think GTA would be anywhere near as successful without the human violence, its stock in trade? That franchise's ethical questions seem far more serious to me than ours, simply because of the scope of the game and the endless opportunities to act out, neither of which is true here. EW is missing out on a financial windfall opportunity.

(DISCLAIMER: No animals were harmed in the real world during the making of this post.)

yeah thats what i think. other games have made Africa with no real consequence. i remember an interview with pim when he was head of thehunter and he kept throwing "poaching" around :/ i found the twitter post with the link but its a .404 link:/
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Must agree that the question about Africa and if it's "ethical" is just ridiculous.

It's "kind of OK" in real life because you make more good than harm with regards to the tag price.

And this is a game. Really. Come on. "Ethical"... "Lol"...
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Inspired by your discussion I just found an interesting article (2014, Conservation Magazine) on the Internet. Of course it's always a matter of which side you're listening to (even in science), but I thought it was quite a differentiated text: http://www.conservationmagazine.org/201 ... servation/
its an interesting article, but as always there are two sides to the story

here is another article, unfortunatly in german: http://www.zeit.de/wissen/umwelt/2015-0 ... tz/seite-3

quick summary: most of the money for the trophy goes to the host; to the gdp in whole africa it adds up .006%, the local people get 20€-cent from a tourist-hunter...

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”