Introducing the new Hunter Score

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Introducing the new Hunter Score

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Longmann wrote:I have a simple question: do new weapons count for HS?
As I understand the new scoring system, each "group" of weapons can give you up to 1000 points. So if I kill for example one feral goat with a 16ga shotgun it should give me 1 point for the goat kill and one for the kill with the shotgun.
Having a chat with a friend today made me think I was wrong about understanding the new system: he was saying weapons don't count at all and that the "weapons" section under ranks is only for achievement purposes.
I apologise if the answer is somewhere on previous 60 pages of this thread, I just made a quick review and didn't find other possibility than a conclusion that weapons DO count until you reach 1000 kills for each "group" listed in ranks.
The 16GA is a new "weapon group", so every kill will count for HS until you reach 1,000 harvests with it.

The difference between "achievements" and the new "ranks" is:
Every unique weapon has its own achievements, but they don't award any HS points any more, they're only important for the badges and background pictures (called Master Levels).
There is only one rank for each weapon group and they award HS points until you reach 1,000 harvests. If one weapon has several variants ("reskins"), they all count towards the same rank.
Image Image Image
Longmann
Scout

Post by Longmann »

Tanngnjostr wrote: The 16GA is a new "weapon group", so every kill will count for HS until you reach 1,000 harvests with it.

The difference between "achievements" and the new "ranks" is:
Every unique weapon has its own achievements, but they don't award any HS points any more, they're only important for the badges and background pictures (called Master Levels).
There is only one rank for each weapon group and they award HS points until you reach 1,000 harvests. If one weapon has several variants ("reskins"), they all count towards the same rank.
Thanks for quick reply.
Seems I got it right then. Considering all written above, if I kill a feral goat with a 16ga or any species that I haven't reached 1000 kills for, how many points should I get? Only one for a kill with a 16ga or also one for a kill of "non maxed out" species itselfs, which would be 2 points?
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
LEFLOR
Scout

Post by LEFLOR »

If you weapon and your species haven't reached 1000 kills : 1 point ( for the weapon ) + 1 point ( for the specie ) = 2 points HS
Longmann
Scout

Re: RE: Re: Introducing the new Hunter Score

Post by Longmann »

LEFLOR wrote:If you weapon and your species haven't reached 1000 kills : 1 point ( for the weapon ) + 1 point ( for the specie ) = 2 points HS
Thanks for clarifying this.
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Weapons and species all count the same for HS up to 1000, they are simple kill counters. Just as weapons share skill points for the different skins, they also share kills, and will increase HS regardless of the skin up to the max.

Achievements are a separate entity now and award banners and ribbons
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

DHRifleman wrote:Achievements are a separate entity now and award banners and ribbons
aka Bullshoot and Horsefeathers.
ChrystalSky

Post by ChrystalSky »

Forgive my confusion, I have been out of the game for about a year and so much has changed in my absence.
Animals make no difference as all players with a paid membership have access to the same species, therefore once they all reach 1000, all players would have exactly the same hunter score from this category.
So from what I am seeing and hearing, am I correct in saying that your Hunter Score has nothing to do with your actual skill as a hunter, It boils down to who can afford to buy all the weapons which have their own individual count, and players who were around in the past to obtain weapons unobtainable by new players to the game ?
I buy whatever I feel like buying to enable me to go out hunting my species of choice, I just got curious as to how I could raise my Hunter Score and from what it seems, it is quite simple, you buy your Hunter Score.
If the above is all true, then I guess I'll go back to having fun doing my own thing, as it's simply a sign of someone who has money to waste, Hunter Score means nothing to a real hunter.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

ChrystalSky wrote:Forgive my confusion, I have been out of the game for about a year and so much has changed in my absence.
Animals make no difference as all players with a paid membership have access to the same species, therefore once they all reach 1000, all players would have exactly the same hunter score from this category.
So from what I am seeing and hearing, am I correct in saying that your Hunter Score has nothing to do with your actual skill as a hunter, It boils down to who can afford to buy all the weapons which have their own individual count, and players who were around in the past to obtain weapons unobtainable by new players to the game ?
I buy whatever I feel like buying to enable me to go out hunting my species of choice, I just got curious as to how I could raise my Hunter Score and from what it seems, it is quite simple, you buy your Hunter Score.
If the above is all true, then I guess I'll go back to having fun doing my own thing, as it's simply a sign of someone who has money to waste, Hunter Score means nothing to a real hunter.
1. Animals make a huge difference. I've been playing since 2009, and am only capped on 4 species. I currently rank around 360'ish. Even the #1 player on the Leaderboard isn't capped on all species. I don't see that as an issue.

2. As to the weapons comment, keep in mind that the new HunterScore system actually reduced the advantage you get from owning all weapons, as all reskins were grouped together with the primary weapon and share the same cap. For example, if you own the black Pulsar bow, buying the same bow in forest camo or winter will not give you more HunterScore...once you hit 1000 with any or all of them combined, you're capped, and that's it. You can use one of them or all 3 to get to 1k, that's up to you. This change, which is the focus of this thread, was made to mitigate the exact scenario you seem to be concerned about.

3. There are zero "weapons unobtainable by new players" that add to your HunterScore. There are only 2 weapons that are no longer obtainable...they are the Royal Edition 7mm Bullpup & 12 gauge. Neither of those weapons will give you an advantage in HunterScore, and they don't even give Achievements.

4. I own everything in the game. If that was somehow supposed to "buy me HunterScore" then something isn't working right. ;) I have exactly 44 weapon ranks that are NOT maxed out. If HunterScore is your #1 goal, then maxing out what you can kill with the weapons that you do own will be your best bet. You can't be in the top ranks without owning all or most weapons (not counting reskins) but just buying them earns you nothing...you still have to take those weapons and go max them out.

5. HunterScore means nothing to a real hunter...yeah, I could get on board with that statement. This is a video game though, and it means a lot in the context that it's used.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

ChrystalSky wrote:Forgive my confusion, I have been out of the game for about a year and so much has changed in my absence.
Best advice I can give is not to think about it too much. It will only give you a headache and age you. Forget about the hunter score and play the game hunting the animals you like with the weapons you want and you will have happier days ahead.
ChrystalSky

Post by ChrystalSky »

For me to contend with Hunter Score I have to spend around £150 to catch up on all the weapons that have come out while I was away but bar than the reverse draw xbow and pulsar, I do not like the new weapons, that's a lot of money to spend out on something that once I hit 1000 I will never use. So yes JamboWhoDat.. I'm gone.. If anyone needs me, I'll be wreaking havoc with my pulsar out there somewhere. Happy Hunting.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”