Tip! Saving your Trophy animal when the connection fails

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
Villkatta
Outfitter

Tip! Saving your Trophy animal when the connection fails

Post by Villkatta »

CHOSEN AS THE TIP OF THE WEEK

Don't know if anyone has posted this before as I suck at searching the forum, but here goes:

It's a known scenario for many hunters; you've downed a nice rack, but while your happily sauntering over to harvest it, you get that pestering "lost connection to game server" - message. If this does not pass before the 30 seconds are up, your session ends and your trophy is lost. Really annoying.

There is a way your trophy may be saved(no guarantees though!) : If you click ALT+TAB twice, or ALT+TAB, and then manually open the window again with the cursor, the timer re-sets to 30 seconds, buying you more time. The server will be open about a second before the message pops up again. Either do this until the connection is back, or during this time quickly set the player in run-mode and auto-run. After then, keep hitting ALT+TAB repeatedly. The player will advance about 1 step for each time you do this. If the trophy is worth it, and you have the patience, you will get over to your animal and be able to harvest it. I have managed to track down and save several trophies this way when my connection has been less then agreeable to be around.

Hope this tip can help some of you in a sticky situation.

Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Tip! Saving your Trophy animal when the connection fails

Post by Fletchette »

I've posted a variation of this several time's but you really don't need to <Alt><Tab> repeatedly or walk one step at a time. Just <Alt><Tab> out, and do something else for a while. Every 5 minutes or so, click on it again to see if the server is back up and the connection restored. Even with your method, your harvest won't be "recorded" if the server/connection is not up, since that info is stored on the server.

I believe this only works in full-screen single-player mode, but if you are in windowed mode you can <Alt><Enter> to switch to full-screen mode, and it should work. At least it does for me. I don't think this works for MP, but maybe someone else knows.
Last edited by Fletchette on February 20th, 2015, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Bests...
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Fletchette wrote:I believe this only works in full-screen single-player mode, but if you are in windowed mode you can <Alt><Enter> to switch to full-screen mode, and it should work. At least it does for me. I don't think this works for MP, but maybe someone else knows.
It works exactly as you describe, and not in MP mode. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

great tips. ;)
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Fletchette wrote:I've posted a variation of this several time,s but you really don't need to <Alt><Tab> repeatedly or walk one step at a time. Just <alt><tab> out, and do something else for a while. Every 5 minutes or so, click on it again to see of the server is back up and the connection restored. Even with your method, your harvest won't be "recorded" if the server/connection is not up, since that info is stored on the server.

I believe this only works in full-screen single-player mode, but if you are in windowed mode you can <Alt><Enter> to switch to full-screen mode, and it should work. At least it does for me. I don't think this works for MP, but maybe someone else knows.
Thanks for feedback guys. And thank you Fletchette for your input, it made things a HELL lot easier now that I know I don't have to go back and forth all the time. Tested it today when the server wanted to nick one of my turkeys. And I've always used the trick in SP, so you're probably correct there.

Map1
Hunter

Post by Map1 »

Well I will try it if it happens again I hope it wont but you never know :lol: Especially on the weekends the connection gets lost
lisarob
Hunter

Post by lisarob »

great!
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

Nice tip and very handy.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
LatinJoker69
Hunter

Post by LatinJoker69 »

It`s always good to learn something new, thanks for sharing...
cbc33

Post by cbc33 »

Good

Return to “Fan Guides”