Game Update 29th July 2014

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Cashet
Scout

Re: Game Update 29th July 2014

Post by Cashet »

Of course turkey respond to the box caller! Although its probably my least hunted species, I always take the box caller on any whitehart or settlers hunt i do. I can be sitting in my stand calling elk for an hour, on settlers, then out of boredom, call with the turkey box caller, and get an immediate call back. NOT a coincidence, not a chance. Dead quite for an hour and then a response 2 seconds after a call? On every hunt at where I start on whitehart, I can get a turkey to answer me almost immediately after calling. There is usually no prior calling from turkeys before I call. If they have taken this out of the game, this will be the 2nd major disappointment of this update. So far I am really not impressed at all with these "new improvements" Why not seriously concentrate on fixing the existing issues, and working on the new reserve, instead of having devs work on breaking things that NO ONE has complained about? Was about to buy some EM today to purchase the new gun, and the decoys, but I am NOT going to buy any more EM for a while to see how this all plays out. The ruining of the 12ga Slugs is going to rear its ugly head in the new set of comps that start later tonight, Moose Suede Shoes, and more people will get ticked off when they spend hours tracking down moose that should have dropped on the spot. Guess we will see how the devs react then?
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

HooCairs wrote:The turkey story also sounded quite intriguing to me until it was said it depends on how long you use the caller. The bucks and feral hogs then killed the story for good. Sorry but at this point I am asking for evidence as mentioned above or won't continue debating.
So Hoocairs, you didn't use the box caller, or didn't try it with more than a couple of clucks, or what? And any response you received was so unreliable that you were (are) convinced it was random? More so than the Red Deer or Elk appeared or did not appear to be random? Hell, turkeys responded as good or better than elk did! I only threw in the hog reference for effect because it emphasized what I was trying to say, hogs being harder to call in. But you're saying you couldn't provoke a response from a turkey that you would not call random, and yet you could from an elk?

As for the number of calls, I found that 10 clucks in succession worked very well. As I said, I read somewhere that many calls were required for turkeys. Incidentally, I have also tested all other callers for different lengths of calls to maximize their effectiveness. I recently found out that if I called TOO MUCH with the long range goose caller, which I read I should do as much of as I could, I had very few flocks break up and attempt to land. So I started experimenting. Eventually I tried to duplicate the single or occasional call of a goose on the ground, one that triggers the Huntermate. BINGO!!!! Now I have twice as many flocks than I had before dropping in to my half spread of geese. Now I almost do not bother with the long range caller at all, because it sometimes seems to do more harm than good, and it's a pain in the ass to keep switching.

But who knows, everyone else could be wrong just like me.
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
Björn Öjlert
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Björn Öjlert »

Before the introduction of the locator caller (and the bug that came with it) Turkey never responded directly to the box caller. However, like most species they call on their own from time to time and if this happens a short while after the box caller has been used it may appear as if they respond to it.

The only species that has a chance to call as a direct response to non-locator callers by design are:
  • Moose
  • Roosevelt Elk
  • Red Deer
The frequency at which animals give random calls differs between species and as a result more vocal species like Turkey are more likely to appear to respond to player actions when they are actually not.
Rozete
Tracker

Post by Rozete »

i have called in a lot of turkeys in the past before ground blind was screwed up and had never seen turkey responding to call as immediate as this blacktail:
http://videobam.com/tjvok
Spoiler:
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

I am curious if anyone else is hearing the hum made in game when the ramrod for the new muzzleloader is in the vertical position pushing the bullet and powder down and putting back in storage position also??
Spoiler:
Cashet
Scout

Post by Cashet »

All i know (as whats been said in a post earlier) is what i know......I guess with a EW staffer giving us the definitive answer, then thats the answer.
Of course there could be no possible way that something that was intended to work one way, turned out working another way in Thehunter. god not a chance.... Sorry to be sarcastic here, but do you guys ever play your own game? So many things in the past have been STATED by EW only to be proven wrong and fixed in a patch later. Guns come out and are patched a week later, to work as intended. Almost every "new" item or species requires a patch at a later date to get it to run as intended. Perhaps the turkey call was just one of these "bugs" that never really got reported as a bug, or if it was, was shrugged off for a lack of evidence. Did I misread the fact that the box caller was bugged and fixed in a patch today to no longer trigger an audio response? If that was the case as I understood, then wouldnt that alone prove that turkey did respond to the box caller, and had to be patch fixed???

Your "tweaks" today of the weapons have made me really really angry about this game, A game I really loved and promoted to all my friends that hunt. There are so many things your devs should be working on and fixing. Instead valuable dev time is spent, tweaking things that really no one had major issues with! Normally in games I play, I avoid the forums, cause usually the rants just depress me, but I started reading these basically to figure out if what I seen going on in the game was happening to just me or others. Now I read the forums a lot, and have to say that the posters that sound pretty cynical on here, are the ones that spend the most time playing it!

I understand running a video game such as this comes with lots of challenges, and you cant react to every post, claiming one thing or another. There is also a language issue to deal with, translations can be misleading as to inflection etc in speech. Sometimes though you have to listen to the community that says they are having this issue or that, or this works this way or that, and trust that people posting on here, most of the time, have the best intentions and want to see the game succeed, not fail. Hard evidence is exactly that "hard" to reproduce sometimes.
Sometimes you need to trust the people on here, especially when multiple posts agree on issues, and react without the "hard evidence"
No way anyone will tell me that turkeys did not react to the box caller, period. I know what I know, regardless of how they were "programmed".
jlferrell
Hunter

Post by jlferrell »

Thanks Björn, this makes sense. I think this is the confusion:

Turkey often call a lot, for me at least. So do elk, red deer, and moose. For me, more often than others, except maybe pheasants.

Anyway, I think it's easy, if you hear a call "back" right after your call enough, to lump them into that category when really it's just chance, as you mention.

Thanks for the clarification.
Last edited by jlferrell on July 30th, 2014, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Björn Öjlert wrote:Before the introduction of the locator caller (and the bug that came with it) Turkey never responded directly to the box caller. However, like most species they call on their own from time to time and if this happens a short while after the box caller has been used it may appear as if they respond to it.

The only species that has a chance to call as a direct response to non-locator callers by design are:
  • Moose
  • Roosevelt Elk
  • Red Deer
The frequency at which animals give random calls differs between species and as a result more vocal species like Turkey are more likely to appear to respond to player actions when they are actually not.
Then the differentiation between the callers, the caller types, how they are programmed, how they manifest themselves in interaction with the species they were designed for, and how species react to the callers, are so strikingly similar as to be at times virtually indistinguishable from each other. Case in point: Hoocairs thought the pheasant answered a call. Sometimes so did I. There is something going on here that most players will recognize immediately and that is that most callers in the game, up to the locator, provoke very similar effects from the species being called (with the exception of the fox and coyote) almost across the board. It is virtually impossible to tell which species is answering and which is not.

Also, IRL, in North America, where the turkey is a native species and I assume is being hunted, turkeys DO respond verbally to box callers! So maybe you should put the bug back in instead of making it less realistic than it already was! And why don't you fix the damn bull moose call? Not one moose in North America has ever made a damn fog horn noise like that, not ever! And I am assuming they are North American moose because European moose have smaller antlers, and nothing in the 230 range.

And finally, while I have your attention, changing existing caller effects, in what seems entirely to encourage the sale of new callers and decoys, while removing species from guns already owned to encourage the sale of new guns, is entirely underhanded, miscreant, and wholly reprehensible! Sometimes the bottom line here at theHunter appears to be the top line, the middle line, the bottom line, the title page, and the table of contents.
Last edited by JimboCrow on July 30th, 2014, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
Cashet
Scout

Post by Cashet »

Well said Jimbo agree with you on ALL the points you made...lol especially about the moose call!!!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

JimboCrow wrote:Case in point: Hoocairs thought the pheasant answered a call.
Pheasant do answer calls.

Read agian what Björn said.
Björn Öjlert wrote:The only species that has a chance to call as a direct response to non-locator callers by design are:
  • Moose
  • Roosevelt Elk
  • Red Deer
The pheasant caller is a locator caller.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”