Question about buckshot/penetration

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMM1966
Scout

Question about buckshot/penetration

Post by OldMM1966 »

I haven't used buckshot for deer very much as I mainly bow hunt. Today I shot a WT buck with the 16 ga side by side at 30m, it was a drop shot however it registered as a body hit. The buck was quartering toward me and I placed the bead just as I would place an arrow for a double lung shot. If it were a body hit as registered wouldn't the buck have ran? Does buckshot normally penetrate to the vitals at 30m or do I need to be closer? If you check out the score sheet also look at the trophy shot, you can clearly see where the buckshot hit. TIA for any insight into this.

Scoresheet: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/oldm ... /592977667
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Question about buckshot/penetration

Post by DYEUZ »

Even though i don't own the .16 GA , all look pretty normal to me . Distance is quite short and reasonable for buckshot . Number of pellets must be of good numbers, that penetrated to vitals .
Probably would have done the same with the .12 GA . Sometimes , it says '' body '' and shows no red organs and the animals drops on the spot .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I always just assumed it counted as multiple hits/damages, and have never had a deer -not- instantly drop from buckshot. I assumed it was the game mechanics equivalent of getting shot a few times. They do get pretty perforated... :P
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

As DYEUZ said sometimes it shows body & drops. I have had the same thing happen with the 357 on bobcats at longish range (100m).

Nice buck btw!

Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

I used buckshot in the 10 ga last night on a feral hog. Was curious what the gauge effect might be. 10 ga buckshot is the equivalent of shooting something with about 18 .38 rounds simultaneously, if they all land (which, at the 25m distance I shot, they mostly should). It was a head on shot on a 400lb male. It ran at least 50 m, but bled a lot and showed lung and liver penetration.

I then used birdshot on a 20lb Tom turkey. Head on, about 50m. The tom turned and ran after the first shot so I shot again at around 65 m. It ran another 50 or so meters and dropped. There was a lot of blood at every track, and it was bright, but the result just showed two body shots only. Overall, a strange result.

So, with larger gauges, like 10 and 12, buckshot appears to penetrate well at close range. But whether an animal drops or not seems to be determined by more than shot placement/organ damage.

Return to “General Chat”