Do areas ever get hunted out?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Do areas ever get hunted out?

Post by SoftShoe »

I have a honey hole on Loggers that I like to hunt & even put a permanent stand there. Every time I go there I would see a bunch of good bucks. No real monsters yet but 160+ constantly & typically 2-3 at a time. I just KNOW that one day some big ole shaggy back monster is bound to show up. However the last few times I have been there though its been the exact opposite. NO deer & protracted calling only yields a doe or 2.

Does the game recognize if you are hunting an area hard & limit the numbers of animals in that area or was it just luck that I was seeing so many deer for that period & my luck has worn off?

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Do areas ever get hunted out?

Post by Tanngnjostr »

SoftShoe wrote:Does the game recognize if you are hunting an area hard & limit the numbers of animals in that area or was it just luck that I was seeing so many deer for that period & my luck has worn off?
Each hunt is independent from the previous hunts, the RNG always works the same and always has the same chance to spawn a trophy or a lot of animals in certain spots. So no, you cannot hunt out an area.
Image Image Image
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I would be very surprised , if the game , recognized that we hunt , for a great amount of time / attempts , an area and makes it less productive after a while .
All and every animal spawn are purely random imo .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Thanks guys, I assumed it was my notoriously bad luck but thought I would ask.

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

This game would be a great candidate for machine learning and it could make for a truly unique and challenging experience. Just imagine if hunting the same area resulted in changes to the spawning maps, or changes to the animal AI so they grew cautious over time in certain areas. It could add a level of persistence to the game without making the actual spawns or animal populations persistent. You could even go as far as having the animals learn and adapt to your hunting style. The problem is it could only be applied to single player hunts, otherwise guests in multiplayer sessions would be unfairly hampered by heightened animal AI driven by someone else's behaviour.

It would be interesting to explore how AI could improve this game. I suspect if done properly it could not only transform the game, but give it something else that makes it a truly unique hunting game. Right now, the animal AI is static, and isn't really AI. It's entirely scripted. The animals always behave the same way and react in a scripted manner based on the variables at any given time. It's pretty good, don't get me wrong, but animals learning from the vast amounts of data available would be a great way to make the game more challenging and less rinse-and-repeat.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

DYEUZ wrote:I would be very surprised , if the game , recognized that we hunt , for a great amount of time / attempts , an area and makes it less productive after a while .
I for my part would not be surprised if EW silently introduced the hunting pressure functionality from CotW into Classic. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

HooCairs wrote:
DYEUZ wrote:I would be very surprised , if the game , recognized that we hunt , for a great amount of time / attempts , an area and makes it less productive after a while .
I for my part would not be surprised if EW silently introduced the hunting pressure functionality from CotW into Classic. :)
Now I understand why I can not find partridges at TGT. It is not the fault of my incapacity, it is EW's fault. :D
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

caledonianblues wrote:This game would be a great candidate for machine learning and it could make for a truly unique and challenging experience. Just imagine if hunting the same area resulted in changes to the spawning maps, or changes to the animal AI so they grew cautious over time in certain areas. It could add a level of persistence to the game without making the actual spawns or animal populations persistent. You could even go as far as having the animals learn and adapt to your hunting style.
This would indeed be pretty neat!

Well it seems it was just my bad luck after all. I went there last night & soon as I fast traveled was surrounded by 5 doe, 2 bucks & about 6 pheasants. A stark contrast to the last 3 times I was there & had NOTHING around me :D

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

HooCairs wrote:
i dont think it would work in this game. many of the spawn areas are easy to work out or near enough.if the animals have to spawn and you shot up a area then if you know rough spawn areas of said species then you just go to that area. if animals have to spawn each time which they would other wise the game would shortly be empty of animals based on how many we kill :lol: then it would end up just finding the right spots and slaughter.

what caledonian is talking about a few has mentioned similar. monaco steve did a very detailed post about it previously with a eco system to the game.i think that should of been implemented very early on tbh.

deer grow, die , are removed it effects what animals are about. you care for the land build your cabins and such maintain where you hunt. that also gives more than the just hunt element to gameplay.

i personally think there should be alot less animals on each reserve.it was definitely harder earlier on in the game.

it will be interesting in the future if they make a new version of theHunter what they do.people often say call of the wild is arcade its actually harder to kill more animals in same time than classic.thats how easy its become.when most people look to classic as the " realistic " hunting game. so id hope that a newer version of this game returns to its routes and makes each hunt a challenge and a stimulating experience.

as to the op. you have certain areas probably near where you start hunting.if its a whitetail for eg. each time you go in. it could be a variation of whichever whitetail it gives you.one time that spot maybe a 110 next maybe a 160.could be male or female.the only thing that really changes is they change spawning places now and again now they can do it at drop of a hat. so say your hotspot changes those whitetail that were once there will maybe become a feral hog.the whitetail will go to another location.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

ronMctube wrote: as to the op. you have certain areas probably near where you start hunting.if its a whitetail for eg. each time you go in. it could be a variation of whichever whitetail it gives you.one time that spot maybe a 110 next maybe a 160.could be male or female.the only thing that really changes is they change spawning places now and again now they can do it at drop of a hat. so say your hotspot changes those whitetail that were once there will maybe become a feral hog.the whitetail will go to another location.
I have noticed that as well. I guess my spot is close to a spawn point because it varies what there are allot of. Sometime deer, sometimes hogs & even occasionally pheasants but there are always (or was always) deer.

Return to “General Chat”