.50 Inline Muzzleloading Pistol fail

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Sherab86
Hunter

Re: .50 Inline Muzzleloading Pistol fail

Post by Sherab86 »

I've just watched Ron's review.

This is big thing for a handgun really. ;) I like the animations, though.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

nachthexe wrote:
It does not use a Sabot, description says "...is loaded with a .50 lead bullet for big game hunting."
Well shoot... That makes all the differance in the world! Sign me up... :roll: :lol:
Sherab86 wrote: From other hand - I don't say one can not hunt IRL with handguns. I suppose this is perfectly doable, wherever and whenever it is legal. But somehow it is hard for me to see a handgun as main hunting weapon. I consider them as sidearms - mostly for selfdefence situations and for coup de grace shots of already wounded animals, to shorten their suffering. So I somehow lack of inner conviction to buy any pistol in the game, becasue main weapon serve good enough for selfdefence in most situations.
Handguns are perfectly acceptable & reliable primary hunting arms. Granted they do not have the power or range of their long barreled brethren but so long as you limit the distances you shoot they work very well. I rarely use rifles to hunt anymore, they are just to easy. Instead I use bows, blackpowder, handguns & occasionally blackpowder handguns! :D
My primary deer hunting pistol is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with a 7.5in barrel that shoots handloads more powerful then a 44mag. I use it on the north east side of my property where the brush is pretty thick & you will rarely see deer farther then 25yds. I also have a S&W 27 in 357 mag I have used a couple times but was less then happy with it performance on deer. On the south side of my farm I have a blind overlooking a field. When hunting from it I use a TC Contender with a 14" barrel chambered in 30 Herret. Firing a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip it is more powerful thean a 30-30 (no firebreather granted but adequate) & reliably take deer at 150yds regularly. I also have several "specialty" pistols for hunting varmints at long range. My "baby" is a custom stocked XP100 in 7mm BR. It is powerful enough for deer but have never used it for that. It is murder on coyotes, ground hogs & ground squirrels though.

So yes, handguns are very effective on game & shouldnt be considered as sub par.

To be completely transparent. Most of the hunting I do anymore is on my farm. We have some nice deer here but rarely a true trophy. If I were planning on traveling for a "trophy" hunt the pistols would be left at home & a rifle taken.

Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

I gotta say that when I saw this new muzzloading pistol in a tweet this morning I was giving a congratulatory clap to the team for giving the players this awesome new weapon. This congratulations was of course assuming that this weapon had the same permitted species list as the .50 cal classic muzzleloader. Was actually excited to pick this one up until I saw the permitted species list. Gotta say that I don't agree with the decision here. Won't be picking this one up.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

SoftShoe wrote:
Sherab86 wrote: From other hand - I don't say one can not hunt IRL with handguns. I suppose this is perfectly doable, wherever and whenever it is legal. But somehow it is hard for me to see a handgun as main hunting weapon. I consider them as sidearms - mostly for selfdefence situations and for coup de grace shots of already wounded animals, to shorten their suffering. So I somehow lack of inner conviction to buy any pistol in the game, becasue main weapon serve good enough for selfdefence in most situations.
Handguns are perfectly acceptable & reliable primary hunting arms. Granted they do not have the power or range of their long barreled brethren but so long as you limit the distances you shoot they work very well. I rarely use rifles to hunt anymore, they are just to easy. Instead I use bows, blackpowder, handguns & occasionally blackpowder handguns! :D
My primary deer hunting pistol is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with a 7.5in barrel that shoots handloads more powerful then a 44mag. I use it on the north east side of my property where the brush is pretty thick & you will rarely see deer farther then 25yds. I also have a S&W 27 in 357 mag I have used a couple times but was less then happy with it performance on deer. On the south side of my farm I have a blind overlooking a field. When hunting from it I use a TC Contender with a 14" barrel chambered in 30 Herret. Firing a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip it is more powerful thean a 30-30 (no firebreather granted but adequate) & reliably take deer at 150yds regularly. I also have several "specialty" pistols for hunting varmints at long range. My "baby" is a custom stocked XP100 in 7mm BR. It is powerful enough for deer but have never used it for that. It is murder on coyotes, ground hogs & ground squirrels though.

So yes, handguns are very effective on game & shouldnt be considered as sub par.

To be completely transparent. Most of the hunting I do anymore is on my farm. We have some nice deer here but rarely a true trophy. If I were planning on traveling for a "trophy" hunt the pistols would be left at home & a rifle taken.

So, as I said, I believe this is perfectly doable. :) I only meant, that for me personaly, handguns do not sound too appealing as primary hunting weapons. :)

While I'm idealist by nature, I have also very... hmm... technical approach to many things. Hence I seek for performance in the first place. ;) Part of the reason I've choosed .340 Weatherby over .45-70 Govt. for big game animals. ;) Even if I even like the look of this lever-action rifle or buffalo rifle. ;)

From other hand, I like some challennge in the games too - I've liked much my crossbow for example. I started to play this game as pure firearms enthusiast. But now, I like to use the crossbow if only situation allows. ;) And I consider also a bow in the future. And as I said, I think also about muzzleloaded rifle - just for the feel and look. ;) Maybe there will come a time for a pistol too. :) But probably, for me this would be rather 10 mm Auto. :)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Sherab86 wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:

So, as I said, I believe this is perfectly doable. :) I only meant, that for me personaly, handguns do not sound too appealing as primary hunting weapons. :)

While I'm idealist by nature, I have also very... hmm... technical approach to many things. Hence I seek for performance in the first place. ;) Part of the reason I've choosed .340 Weatherby over .45-70 Govt. for big game animals. ;) Even if I even like the look of this lever-action rifle or buffalo rifle. ;)

From other hand, I like some challennge in the games too - I've liked much my crossbow for example. I started to play this game as pure firearms enthusiast. But now, I like to use the crossbow if only situation allows. ;) And I consider also a bow in the future. And as I said, I think also about muzzleloaded rifle - just for the feel and look. ;) Maybe there will come a time for a pistol too. :) But probably, for me this would be rather 10 mm Auto. :)
U will enjoy bows a lot i think. Probably the most efficient weapons in this game. Pistols are nice too. Shot a good bunch of Bobcats with the 357. Good fun. Also the 10mm is an absolute beast on all the permitted animals except Sambar. Handles super well and shots come out super fast if u need an instant double tap.
kw4life

Post by kw4life »

too much for too little for me, was hoping it would have conical and saboted rounds. this way it can go straight to Doc's shed in my opinion.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

I just noticed two more things after watching Ron's video:

1. During the reload animation the bullet used is not a ball but clearly pointed, possibly a copy paste from the inline ML.
2. A missed opportunity to add another weapon to the Red Dot Pistol scope! This thing would be a great platform for it I think.
Code: Select all
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

nachthexe wrote:I just noticed two more things after watching Ron's video:

1. During the reload animation the bullet used is not a ball but clearly pointed, possibly a copy paste from the inline ML.
I've noted this at the begining, because I instantly check the ammo too. :) And I like it I must say. But as I said, in case of pistol itself, I would prefer some more classic, historic look. :)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Just like Davey Crockett used to cary... ;)

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Just one thing to say,.... the permitted list is too small for a .50 cal Blackpowder gun.
Where I live Blackpowder pistols are illegal to use to hunt. But this is just a game,.. so yeah do it if you like.
But where I live a .50 caliber Blackpowder Rifle is legal whether it is a .50 cal lead bullet, or a .45 Sabot, both used on Coyotes or Deer.
But this is a game........So why not?
Game Balance again............. $ $

Return to “General Chat”