Spend spend spend

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: Spend spend spend

Post by Radamus »

EW is in the business to make money - I don't ever recall them claiming to be a non-profit charity - It's ok, some come some go and they are still rocking- Kind of hard to knock it- you like it or you don't.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

The trick its to spend just enough to buy the ems for the things you really want and enjoy, not spend lots of ems to try win a competition that gives 100ems, i have spend my fair share in weapons, by example bows because i enjoy bow hunting and shotguns because i like them and hate pheasants so its a win win, and have i even won some trophies in comps, but i spend my money on stuff that i enjoy no matter if i got a place in the comps or not, that way i have no regrets... well maybe with my dog that tried to kill me in VdB.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

In regards to comps, there are those that will always "game the game" meaning they will look for any exploit they can to win. The way I see it, those poor people must have empty lives & they really need something to make them feel good about themselves. If thats what turns their crank, good on em. Its no skin off my nose but in the same breath I will tell you I wont engage with them. Generally speaking I dont enter comps. Ive only done 2 so far. The 1st one was a long range heart shot comp. I didnt make the top 100. The winner won with I think it was a 217yd shot. I was like... forget this... That dude no doubt had him a nice spot picked out where he could see clear to render range & he just sat their waiting for some poor collection of pixels to wander into view. I dont see that as a competition. Thats gaming the game. He no doubt knew the maps & had a high level skill in whatever rifle he was using. The other comp I did was a biggest blacktail. That was fun & I took 3rd place but I found myself so fixated on finding a big blacktail it kinda took the fun out of it.

IMO if you are in a position where you NEED to win the comps to have the em$ to buy the stuff you want then you need to have thick skin & be able to take it when you get gamed. And even if you dont get gamed there is always someone out there better then you are. You need to be content with that fact. You win some, you lose some... C'est la Vie

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I'm not a hunter in real life, but I read a lot about hunting and I've read countless articles and stories about headshots on deer. Not once have I found anyone able to present a valid argument in favour of taking a headshot on a deer. The risks outweigh the benefits by a huge factor and unless the hunter puts tens of thousands of rounds down range every year and can consistently hit a moving target the size of a fist every time, there is just no way they can ever confidently take a headshot on such a small target without risking serious injury and suffering for the animal. I think it's a deeply disrespectful approach to hunting and to animals. That's not to say a well placed headshot would not be effective, but anyone short of a highly trained military marksman would be naive and irresponsible to think they were qualified to take such shots.
weatherby57 wrote:This game has gone from a good hunting game to nothing but ripoff Competitions where they stop spawning the comp Animal your hunting almost completely 1 big buck or whatever in a 2000 mile reserve
I can assure you that this doesn't happen. Having competitions active when you start the game has no influence on the spawn generation. I once considered this possibility when I first got into the game, but soon realised it was just a way to assign blame to something other than my (at the time) diabolical hunting abilities.

As for the competition rewards; they're known in advance, so any decision to invest more than the potential return is entirely on the player. Being frustrated with the lack of return and blaming it on Expansive Worlds is just another way of assigning blame to someone or something else for what is essentially a bad judgement call. Like everything in life, risks should be calculated before being taken.
strandjutter
Scout

Post by strandjutter »

SoftShoe wrote:In regards to comps, there are those that will always "game the game" meaning they will look for any exploit they can to win. The way I see it, those poor people must have empty lives & they really need something to make them feel good about themselves. If thats what turns their crank, good on em. Its no skin off my nose but in the same breath I will tell you I wont engage with them. Generally speaking I dont enter comps. Ive only done 2 so far. The 1st one was a long range heart shot comp. I didnt make the top 100. The winner won with I think it was a 217yd shot. I was like... forget this... That dude no doubt had him a nice spot picked out where he could see clear to render range & he just sat their waiting for some poor collection of pixels to wander into view. I dont see that as a competition. Thats gaming the game. He no doubt knew the maps & had a high level skill in whatever rifle he was using. The other comp I did was a biggest blacktail. That was fun & I took 3rd place but I found myself so fixated on finding a big blacktail it kinda took the fun out of it.

IMO if you are in a position where you NEED to win the comps to have the em$ to buy the stuff you want then you need to have thick skin & be able to take it when you get gamed. And even if you dont get gamed there is always someone out there better then you are. You need to be content with that fact. You win some, you lose some... C'est la Vie
Amen to this ! :P

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Well, from my personal perspective, this game is definitely expensive. Of course one may stay with free stuff we recive together with an account. But this gives very limited possibilities - if not in terms of permitted species (with shotgun one can hunt most of them), then in terms of playstyle, making all that F2P content rather a Demo, really. And some animals require some additional equipment (bovines), or are at least very, very, very.... (couple of very'ies later) ... very hard to hunt without some speciffic equipment. I think mostly about ducks here - at least if we care for "A" scores (only one's that count in competitions and statistics). And completing equipment for ducks solely can cost as much, as some standalone game's titles.

But...

If one do not care about competitions so much (as me), or do not care about "A" scores for waterfowl (I do, but I don't want to spend such a bunch of money just on them), one can really limit his/her expenses to minimum. One need to buy only most versatile rifle (allowed for highest number of species), rifle for bovines, and optionally some varmint rifle for small game, and you are ready to go. This is still expensive (from my standpoint). And is still somewhat limitting, so personally I would add to this at least some callers (mostly for animals that roam fast and are hard to catch-up). And one is ready to go. ;)

As I said, this is still expensive, from my standpoint. Because I wanted, I bought also a trophy lodge (and they are way too small :P), and a crossbow. I bought also B&C clothes, because big number of in-game animals are deers, Outback clothes, because they give some protection against all species, regardless of environment, and autumn fields camo clothes - because I was fascinated at the begining with hunting Wild Boars (from present perspective, this was not needed buy). And I'm happy with that. I don't feel of being forced to buy more, as I do not care for competitions and missions to much (missions could be nice, but...).

To sum-up. I understand that TH:C is a niche game, and EW is small company, so they want to squeez every penny from their product. I don't blame them. But still, amount of money "squeezed" from a singe player is quite big, and may be discouraging to many potential new players, I guess.
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

i know, sometimes it can be frustrating. just had this last few days with the weight-comp on turkeys; i played the full 10 rounds, spotted around 150 toms, tracked double of that and the biggest were 9.7/9.6/9.5 -

but luck will come when you increase your chances. and when you are still not able to compete, a change in tactics can make a differene.

on a personal note; if id play for the em$ why spend money for tracer arrows and camputilities? makes no sense. and when you play for the trophy - keep in mind there will be always other players that will spend fortunes just to win it too
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Sherab86 wrote:Well, from my personal perspective, this game is definitely expensive.
Compared to what?

Dont get me wrong, there is no doubt you can sink allot of money into this game but what kind of return on the investment do you get? Take console gaming for example, you send $50-$70 on a game that will get played 10-40hrs & then get shelved forevermore. Spend that same amount here & you have countless hours of entertainment. Sure your initial outlay of cash can be steep if you want to hunt everything on all reserves (dont ask me how I know this ;) ) but once that money's spent what do you spend it on afterwords? You are pretty well set except for annual membership fees & anything new that may strike your fancy.

The beautiful thing about theHunter is you get to control your level of involvement (cost). If you dont want/cant afford to spend XXX to hunt XXX then thats fine, dont. But then dont turn around & lambaste EW for being an evil company for actually wanting to make some money. Please don't lose sight that these people earn their living making this game. They feed their kids & pay their mortgages with the revenue generated here.

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

SoftShoe wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:Well, from my personal perspective, this game is definitely expensive.
Compared to what?

Dont get me wrong, there is no doubt you can sink allot of money into this game but what kind of return on the investment do you get? Take console gaming for example, you send $50-$70 on a game that will get played 10-40hrs & then get shelved forevermore. Spend that same amount here & you have countless hours of entertainment. Sure your initial outlay of cash can be steep if you want to hunt everything on all reserves (dont ask me how I know this ;) ) but once that money's spent what do you spend it on afterwords? You are pretty well set except for annual membership fees & anything new that may strike your fancy.

The beautiful thing about theHunter is you get to control your level of involvement (cost). If you dont want/cant afford to spend XXX to hunt XXX then thats fine, dont. But then dont turn around & lambaste EW for being an evil company for actually wanting to make some money. Please don't lose sight that these people earn their living making this game. They feed their kids & pay their mortgages with the revenue generated here.

Did you read whole my post, SoftShoe? :P

As I said, I have nothing against the fact EW wants to earn it's money. I simply don't like the fact, how much money is put in by a single player. And I don't like also the way it is done, to be honest - more, and more microtransactions (for not so micro money) for almost every possible item or feature - but I wrote this many times in other threads.

Playability is by much a matter of personal expectations. I return to my favorite titles regulary. For example, with some breakes, I play Skyrim since it's release. However, today - I admitt - I do this mostly with some (legal) mods. I play a lot Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and some other titiles I'v bought years a go. Btw. I don't have console. Only PC. :P And while I have nothing against consoles, I don't like how PC editions become "consolised", so to speak. :P

And to be honest, TH:C do not differ from other game in terms of playability that much from my perspective, despite constant developement. Yes, there are new reserves, new animals, weapons and so on, from time to time. But gameplay itself is very repetitive, I would say. This is not necessary something bad - same thing goes for FSX, for example. Each time this brings some fun anyway. But still, I don't see that big difference in playability.

I also wrote about limiting one's expences to really needed stuff (however, what one needs is also a little bit personal matter). And again, from my standpoint, this still can be quite expensive. But for sure not as expensive as for someone who want to have everything, or want to participate in every event, mission, or competition. That's for sure.

You ask "compared to what?" Well, for me, to everything. :P I wrote this ones, in old now thread, but I live in a country, where avarage month salary is about 4000 PLN gross (by current exchange rate this is about 1190 USD). This is average, so includes some richmen. ;) I would say, that for most people working form at least couple of years this is probably closer to 3000 PLN (893 USD). And young people, only starting to work after studies rarely can count on more than 2000 PLN (often less; 595 USD). Me personaly? I'm not in totaly bad situation, but lets say, I'm closer to this last group. :P For me, even those "normal" (standalone; not server based) games are expensive. :P
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Sherab86 wrote: Did you read whole my post, SoftShoe? :P
\

No offense meant, my reply of "compared to what" was the only part directed at you. The rest of the post was placing that statement into context.

You want to see an expensive game? Try IRacing! Monthy access fee PLUS you have to buy all the cars & all the tracks. And when you add in the peripherals (steering wheel, pedlas & shifter) ... Well lets just say my wife will never know what it all cost! My couch is comfortable but I wouldnt want to sleep there every night :lol:

I can understand completely not having the money for things. When I was a young man I remember vividly my wife & I going weeks eating PB&J & ramen noodles to keep the kids in diapers waiting for my next check. I have worked hard my whole life & now in the autumn of my years am blessed to have a fair bit of discretionary income.
What irritates me is peoples sense of entitlement. I dont know about in Poland but in the US in many cases our people feel like they deserve everything. The way of the world is the opposite, you deserve nothing. If you want it go out & earn it!
Bringing this back around to you Sherab, the world market is what it is. Its unfortunate that the economics of your country put you at a disadvantage globally speaking but that isnt anyones fault. If its any consolation having all this "stuff" will not make you any happier. There is an old joke, "He who dies with the most toys wins". I may not win but I am definitely a contender. Ive got allot of stuff but you know when I am the happiest? When the TV & PC are off & am enjoying time with my family or out walking in the woods. Neither of which cost me a dime...

Return to “General Chat”