Spend spend spend

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
walt133
Hunter

Re: Spend spend spend

Post by walt133 »

crwilson12 wrote:Also if you shot a wt in my area in the chest unless you kill it dead on the spot you will never find it without a very good dog if it goes 100m its about a 3 hour job to find 200m it will take you all day.
Whoa buddy! I think you should probably do some fact checking before you say something as bold as that. I have shot whitetail's in the chest with my compound that have run 100 meters. As long as it is a good shot with a good blood trail, you can find them quite easily. Also whitetail's are as tough in my area as they are in yours. My .02 ;)

P.S. I would be interested in knowing how long you have been hunting. Are these rumors you have heard from your family or are they things you have seen with your own eyes? Don't you think if shooting animals in the head works so well everyone would be doing it?
Also maybe you should stop playing video games and do 1 real hunt, deer skulls do not deflect bullets.
This is also not accurate. I have done hundreds of hunts IRL and I can tell you right now if it is a glancing shot the skull most certainly can deflect the bullet.
crwilson12

Post by crwilson12 »

walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

One cherry picked video is not conclusive evidence. Also that was a direct hit no a glancing shot. Here is more likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkIH8aP4DbU

True this is a arrow, but it illustrates the point just the same. Deer probably raised it's head. Now it is in misery. If you want to take headshots on deer feel free, but please let us know when you shoot one through the jaw and can not find it. Peace, ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

crwilson12 wrote:to all the guys condemning...
LOL... Oh boy... where to start... Better yet, I will just leave it alone & walk away laughing.

I remember when I 1st started hunting I was on a drive with my uncle. Now to paint a proper picture of him all I gotta tell you is he grew up during the depression. That should give you allot of insight. In any case that man could hunt, track & trap like nobodies business. A real master in the woods! Well we posting on a drive & a doe breaks out & starts running across the field about 100yds away. I take aim but dont shoot because I didnt think I could land a good hit on her. After she was out of range he starts yelling at me (He never talked, he yelled! Was just his way) "Why the hell didnt you shoot?!?!" So I told him I didnt think I could make a good clean hit on her with the way she was bounding. He tells me "Well if you dont shoot, you dont know if you missed".

Folks if you try to argue with this guy that is what you are up against.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

@ crwilson12

Anybody and everybody has not seen it all, but I beg to differ that a bullet or broadhead (a bullet is what you said) can side swipe the skull and not penetrate it, that is called a flesh wound, going through the hide, scraping the scalp. I've seen it,... its been done,.. So you either take my word for it, or keep believing deer skulls do not deflect bullets.
I'm glad your Grandpa was a good guide and example for you, but don't assume everyone needs a guide to hunt big game animals. An animal can grow as big as they can become anyplace if it has the chance to.

World Record animals:

Moose,
Bison,
Elk,
Any Deer: Whitetail, Mule deer, Black tail,
Brown Bear,
Grizzly Bear,
Black Bear,
Rocky Mountain Sheep,
Mountain Goat.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

gas56 wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:In one I would only disagree with Gas - in situation of danger, I would be even more against shooting in a head. I don't believe that any normal fellow (or even regular soldier) in stressfull situation of protecting his/her life, would have nerves strong enough to carefuly aim for head (or more precisely, a brain in this head). So I would rather aim again into the biggest target aviable. In case of charging animal, a head would be probably in the way anyway. But I would not aim for it specifficaly. But I would want to simply put as much lead as possible into chest area with hope that agressor (regardless is it a Homo sapiens, or other animal) will be stoped before it reach me. ;)

See,.... there you go again putting yourself in my shoes.
Well, yes, and no. I was reffering to your post, but I was also generalising. And in my generalisation, I was maybe even more reffering to self defence situations, when the agressor is rather another human, than wild animal. But I would say, that to some extend same rules apply. And same way, as most info on hunting, one can find in the Internet advocate for lung shots, one will find similar statements (upper part of human torso as aimed target) for self defence situations. Partialy to same reasons - torso as such, presents much bigger target (than head and spine) and leaves more room for error. Especially, that agressor will be probably in move. And stress - being afraid, hands shaking, lack of time, etc. Also do not help.
gas56 wrote: I hate to be so blunt,... but you are not me,... and you would have to do what you could to muster up in any situation so I accept the way you only could.
And if you aren't proficient with the weapon you are using you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.
Well, I don't hunt, right? ;) And I wouldn't like to. On PC, shooting to virtual animals - it is nice fun. IRL - in self defence situation - yes. Otherwise - never. But this is just me.

But I would argue that this is not about how one is proficient with his/her weapon. One thing is to stalk animal, being relatively calm, and having some reserve of time to carrefuly aim, and shot. But other thing is to be forced to protect one's life in a matter of seconds. I'm not saying that this is completely impossible to keep calm mind (and body) in such situations. I'm preety sure, that special forces soldiers, with are trained to sustain a lot of stress and pain, and fight even after being shot - they can have nerves strong enough. But I simply doubt that many "average" Joes/Janes is capable of same thing.

And of course I didn't want to offend you if I did. I simply stated that I dissagree with you in this matter. And while I obviously agree with what I wrote, this was also based on some info one can find in the Net. Of course one can find many things such way - not all are reliable. But those are rather common and I would say they also fit common sense.

Anyway,
Best wishes, and good virtual hunting! :)

EDIT:
walt133 wrote:
crwilson12 wrote:Also maybe you should stop playing video games and do 1 real hunt, deer skulls do not deflect bullets.
This is also not accurate. I have done hundreds of hunts IRL and I can tell you right now if it is a glancing shot the skull most certainly can deflect the bullet.
I suppose this could be a refference to me. ;) And you are right, crwilson12 - I don't have real life experience. And I don't want to make people think otherwise. What I wrote I based on on-line sources and scientific articles. And I am happy to find out, that some RL hunters from this forum share my standpoint. This is reassuring. :D

Btw. While I don't know how you, guys, can do, what you do (IRL), and sleep colmely at night, but statements like this:
walt133 wrote: Last year I had a head shot presented too me on a nice whitetail buck, a 8 point mature. I let it walk because it was the only shot I had and I did not want to risk grazing it or spooking it and it not coming back.
makes me feel some respect towards you.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Sherab86 wrote:I suppose this could be a refference to me. And you are right, crwilson12 - I don't have real life experience. And I don't want to make people think otherwise. What I wrote I based on on-line sources and scientific articles. And I am happy to find out, that some RL hunters from this forum share my standpoint. This is reassuring.

Btw. While I don't know how you, guys, can do, what you do (IRL), and sleep colmely at night, but statements like this:
Well, I think alot of it has to do with how you are brought up. To some it is a way of life. The venison is good, and if you respect the animal, and don't waste the meat it is way different then just poaching and senseless killing. As for sleeping at night, can you eat a burger and sleep calmly at night? I don't know maybe you are a vegetarian, but I can peacefully fall a sleep knowing that the meat is not going to waste and that I killed the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible. I am not saying this to argue I really think you have some good points. Just wanted to give my opinion, and hopefully give you some understanding of why I do what I do. Peace, ;)
Sherab86 wrote:makes me feel some respect towards you.
Well thank you, I appreciate that.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Sherab86 wrote: Btw. While I don't know how you, guys, can do, what you do (IRL), and sleep colmely at night
WHAT?!?!?

I hope you dont take this to hard Sherab but meat doesnt come from the grocery store nor does it grow in the wild wrapped in plastic.
As much as you may wish to deny it, you sir are a bipedal, opposable thumbed, binocular visioned predator. Its to our societies great credit & even greater disgrace that there are people so detached from the cycle of life that they can stand in judgement of those that embrace it.

You know who I wonder can sleep at night? People that work in meat packing companies. I visited one once & having grown up on a farm & knowing how cattle act can tell you those animals KNEW they were about to die all so delicate minded individuals can get their meat in neatly wrapped plastic packages.
At least the animals we hunt get to really live before we quickly & humanely end their lives at which point they become sustenance for our families.

crwilson12

Post by crwilson12 »

seems like some on here are referring to my family as poachers and rednecks shooting anything they can, while in real life its just the opposite. My grandfather was a decorated ww2 hero, and as part of the post war military service was contracted by the Canadian gov with his extensive hunting background to write over half of the firearms test hunters would soon have to take post ww2. He was also the first person to take the test when it was printed and he also scored 100% I can guarantee without 1 doubt there are far more deer esp, running around that were hit in the body badly injured that did not die than were ever hit with a clean shot in the head. Not 1 person in my family uses a scope and none ever take shots over 40m and not 1 has ever hunted from a stand or blind over bait.. As a native my grandfather would dream where he would find his animals the next morning and 90% of the time he found them exactly where he had dreamed. So while you may all be perfect hunters in real life or in the game, it still dosent change the fact that the absolute quickest and most painless way to kill a deer is with a direct shot to the head, any person believein other wise is dreaming.

also why would anyone want to waste all the delicious organs waisted with body shots. The best part of a deer is the lungs and heart.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Suggestion - we need a popcorn machine and JuJu fruit in the store :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”