Spend spend spend

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
walt133
Hunter

Re: Spend spend spend

Post by walt133 »

Sabre39 wrote:Add to that the fact that they FINALLY added loadouts after years and years of us asking for it only to charge an exorbitant price for the long-delayed feature that is included in absolutely every other shooting/hunting/etc game.
I have to agree with that comment, it is pretty pricey for the loadouts which is why I have not bought them. But again I guess we don't have to buy them.
Sabre39 wrote: I won't even get into the fact that they went back on their word "no microtransactions" in theHunter:COTW. I uninstalled that the day they introduced the first microtansaction disguised as a DLC and never looked back.
This I did not know about. Maybe Alena said that and when she went on leave, it got left out?
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

To be fair to the OP - I know I can admit there was a point when I felt kind of like this too and I'll tell you how - I went on a mission binge working on missions and you'll get down into them when you could start making some GM$ and oh crap! have to buy this, that the other - I bought a lot of stuff I wasn't interested in, didn't like but if you wanted to go any farther there was no choice, it was designed to get you to buy everything. So I did get frustrated by that because why? I had no idea, I was new. It was pricey, and it can cost you quite a bit. So if I said something I didn't get much sympathy believe me :lol: ~ But after a while I found I liked the game, liked the people and joined the family so to speak. It was a little rougher around the edges then too, there was a LOT of moderating going on and even got my hands slapped like anyone else until I fell in line- I really do not miss those days at all, it's amazingly better today because this is one hell of a great bunch of people and I learned who would always say what about certain subjects and got over it affecting me because it's easier to just let folks vent once in while and hope they extend the same courtesy to me because I've done my share of venting believe me.

Many times I've looked at the totality and realized, I didn't need all the stuff I accumulated to enjoy this game, it didn't make me a better hunter, it didn't let me win more but it did let me save some time here and there but overall advantage? :lol: not one damn bit. Yep, need waterfowl setups if you want to hunt them, just like IRL, it's expensive but there's a difference between 10 bucks for virtual decoys or thousands for a real ones, a boat, dogs .... anyhow you get the point.

All I can add is, I know I've been there and done that - it's nothing new and we've most likely all been there to some extent. Each of us have to decide - but complain because I don't like how the company runs its business? nope, it's a choice I make for myself just as it's a choice for each of us and it's really no more complex than that.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

^^ Well said Len!
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

gas56 wrote: IRL it would be quite stupid to shoot an animal in the head,... unless it was a survival situation where you needed to eat, or an animal attack.
Have you ever hunted or shot at a deer?

Yes an animal can move its head, and it happens. But hunters also nick vegetation when shooting at lungs and miss, or they hit the stomach and spoil half the meat. There's arguments for and against for both.

You sight your rifle before every hunt based on what terrain you will be hunting in, and how far you expect to be shooting.

When you hunt something like impala or kudu and the only shot is head at 120m you take it, because the "bosveld" vegetation is so thick that you wont see the animal again. Hitting a melon sized target from 100-200m with a .300 Weatherby magnum is no harder than hitting heart or lungs. A head shot blows half the skull away.... there is no survival.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

walt133 wrote:
Sabre39 wrote: I won't even get into the fact that they went back on their word "no microtransactions" in theHunter:COTW. I uninstalled that the day they introduced the first microtansaction disguised as a DLC and never looked back.

This I did not know about. Maybe Alena said that and when she went on leave, it got left out?
I believe Sabre29 reffers to official DLCs as:
ATV Saber 4x4
and
Tents & Ground Blinds.

They both cost a little - not realy big money (my perspective), but still offer rather limited content and in this way, they resemble more microtransactions, than proper DLCs.

I guess only Medved-Taiga can be considered as real DLC.

Still, sadly my PC is way to weak to handle COTW - because I suspect, that in many terms, this game could fit me better then TH:C. But untill I won't change my PC for better machine, this remains pure speculation. ;)
Radamus wrote: All I can add is, I know I've been there and done that - it's nothing new and we've most likely all been there to some extent. Each of us have to decide - but complain because I don't like how the company runs its business?
Well, I think that while we can't really complain about EW doing business - this is natural, we can complain (or rather could complain if we would know whole background, "on place" in EW headquarters, so to speak) about how do they do it. :P Don't take me wrong - I don't want do judge this, since I do not know this "background info". But I reffer to general attitude:

(1) "we do business, and by the way we provide entertainment to people" vs. (2) "We provide entertainment to people, and by the way we do business".

While first option is perfectly valid, I recognise it as... hmm... moraly less appealing, so to speak. ;) As I said, I don't want to be a judge here. But looking at EW engagment into the players community, how much do they contact with us via forum, and so on, "I want to believe" ;) that EW represents mostly option nr 2. :)

From other hand, looking at this whole microtransactions model, it feels more like option nr 1. I assume this model is forced by the niche character of the game. In two ways actualy - from one hand, there is small pool of players (however I saw smaller in case of some other games), hence there is probably little other options to suck as many money from an individual as possible. From other hand, there is no real competition, so one can dictate prices as one's want - customer don't really have the option to go for something less expensive anyway. :P

As I once stated in some other thread, I believe this system is most discouraging for new players. If one is together with the game for years, buying those new rifle, or some other stuff once for a while do not feel that bad. But if a new player wants to catch-up, so to speak (I don't say one have to, but if one want to), then this are quite big sums of money in short period of time. And this hurts. ;)

waiora wrote:
gas56 wrote: IRL it would be quite stupid to shoot an animal in the head,... unless it was a survival situation where you needed to eat, or an animal attack.
Have you ever hunted or shot at a deer?
Yes, he have. :P Not once, if I recall correctly. ;)
waiora wrote: Yes an animal can move its head, and it happens. But hunters also nick vegetation when shooting at lungs and miss, or they hit the stomach and spoil half the meat. There's arguments for and against for both.

You sight your rifle before every hunt based on what terrain you will be hunting in, and how far you expect to be shooting.

When you hunt something like impala or kudu and the only shot is head at 120m you take it, because the "bosveld" vegetation is so thick that you wont see the animal again. Hitting a melon sized target from 100-200m with a .300 Weatherby magnum is no harder than hitting heart or lungs. A head shot blows half the skull away.... there is no survival.
As I said before, in oposition to Gas, I'm not RL hunter. But from my standpoint this is not about effectivness, but about safety margin. About a hunter with regulary shot in a animal's head I would say that he/she is rather overconfident, than confident. I'm sure there are situations, within head-shot maybe an only option, if one want to take shot at all, as you described. But as regular way of hunting? I would not go for this. Don't take me wrong - if this is not forbidden by law or any hunting regulations, you have right to do it. But judging by Internet's "wisdom", you are rather in the niche group in worldwide scale. And it seems that most experienced hunters (at least those with are somehow active in the net) discourage head-shots as too risky, and advocate for lungs-shots. It is not like that you can't mess-up a lung-shot. This simply gives you greater safety margin. Thats it.

EDIT:
In one I would only disagree with Gas - in situation of danger, I would be even more against shooting in a head. I don't believe that any normal fellow (or even regular soldier) in stressfull situation of protecting his/her life, would have nerves strong enough to carefuly aim for head (or more precisely, a brain in this head). So I would rather aim again into the biggest target aviable. In case of charging animal, a head would be probably in the way anyway. But I would not aim for it specifficaly. But I would want to simply put as much lead as possible into chest area with hope that agressor (regardless is it a Homo sapiens, or other animal) will be stoped before it reach me. ;)
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

Radamus wrote:To be fair to the OP - I know I can admit there was a point when I felt kind of like this too and I'll tell you how - I went on a mission binge working on missions and you'll get down into them when you could start making some GM$ and oh crap! have to buy this, that the other - I bought a lot of stuff I wasn't interested in, didn't like but if you wanted to go any farther there was no choice, it was designed to get you to buy everything. So I did get frustrated by that because why? I had no idea, I was new. It was pricey, and it can cost you quite a bit. So if I said something I didn't get much sympathy believe me :lol: ~ But after a while I found I liked the game, liked the people and joined the family so to speak. It was a little rougher around the edges then too, there was a LOT of moderating going on and even got my hands slapped like anyone else until I fell in line- I really do not miss those days at all, it's amazingly better today because this is one hell of a great bunch of people and I learned who would always say what about certain subjects and got over it affecting me because it's easier to just let folks vent once in while and hope they extend the same courtesy to me because I've done my share of venting believe me.

Many times I've looked at the totality and realized, I didn't need all the stuff I accumulated to enjoy this game, it didn't make me a better hunter, it didn't let me win more but it did let me save some time here and there but overall advantage? :lol: not one damn bit. Yep, need waterfowl setups if you want to hunt them, just like IRL, it's expensive but there's a difference between 10 bucks for virtual decoys or thousands for a real ones, a boat, dogs .... anyhow you get the point.

All I can add is, I know I've been there and done that - it's nothing new and we've most likely all been there to some extent. Each of us have to decide - but complain because I don't like how the company runs its business? nope, it's a choice I make for myself just as it's a choice for each of us and it's really no more complex than that.

Same boat mate :)
I came into this with much love and awe. I wanted everything. Rifles, callers, decoys, all the equipment and trophies.
I am not trying to brag here by any means but...

I don't regret it one bit, even though I hardly use any of the weapons. I love the game, community and those who support it.
There will be a day when I start to use those dusty, neglected guns. I want a part of them leaderboards. I use most of my equipment. 95% of it is out in the many reserves we have to choose from.
Not saying it's pay to win by any means. You can achieve a pretty decent level these days with the rotational species (winning comps for EM$ etc) It does take longer, but doing this without paying a cent can end you with all missions completed (for GM$ that can buy you consumables. I spent all my GM$ on cupid arrows during the Valentines event as they were limited and 15 arrows per stack)

I also came into the game with the wrong attitude, expecting more. Was quickly corrected in the forums when I was wrong about something. I still make mistakes, people correct me. No hard feelings.
My attitude has changed alot in the last 12 months. It's great here. I knew it was from the start, really. I just saw everything and approached stuff the wrong way too without really thinking first.
While I love every trophy I have, I am sure there are many that would laugh at them. End of the day, I am happy with a 150 Whitetail, an 800 feral hog, 20 Euro rabbits in a single hunt, or a bronze in Biggest Sitka, starter comp (very proud of the latter btw) but I have a few golds too which are actually achievable using starter (free) rifles would you believe? They really are.

Might be just venting here. I may be just here for appreciation and care towards the community. It is a great community and I thank everyone who is a part of it. It's people with a good attitude and understanding of the game and it's developement that make it great.

Good chance to say thanks very much EW team :)

Edit: Forgot to make my point. Whether it's classic or COTW you can achieve anything without spending any more than you need to. It helps you and the developers though. The Devs don't work for free. Always said that.

walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Sherab86 wrote:And it seems that most experienced hunters (at least those with are somehow active in the net) discourage head-shots as too risky, and advocate for lungs-shots. It is not like that you can't mess-up a lung-shot. This simply gives you greater safety margin. Thats it.
This! Now if I was starving in the wild, and I had no choice but to take a head shot you can bet I would take it. I have been shooting since I was 10 years old, and consider myself a pretty fair shot, With my match rifle I can shoot 5 shots into the same hole and have it still be round. However that is not real life. IRL the rest is not as good, you might have adrenaline, you might be sweating because of weather etc.. Last year I had a head shot presented too me on a nice whitetail buck, a 8 point mature. I let it walk because it was the only shot I had and I did not want to risk grazing it or spooking it and it not coming back.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

The only thing I will intentionally head shoot is squirrels. I only hunt them with a 22 or ML rifle. With the 22 I take headshots because they stay completely still. Pretty much no chance of them moving. I do it to prevent meat damage which there is precious little of to start with (squirrel gravy... Yummmm!). The ML I use is 45cal which will destroy them with anything but a head shot. On occasion I will "bark" them with it (shoot the branch they are sitting on so the spray of bark strikes them instead of the bullet) if I cant see the head.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Sherab86 wrote:In one I would only disagree with Gas - in situation of danger, I would be even more against shooting in a head. I don't believe that any normal fellow (or even regular soldier) in stressfull situation of protecting his/her life, would have nerves strong enough to carefuly aim for head (or more precisely, a brain in this head). So I would rather aim again into the biggest target aviable. In case of charging animal, a head would be probably in the way anyway. But I would not aim for it specifficaly. But I would want to simply put as much lead as possible into chest area with hope that agressor (regardless is it a Homo sapiens, or other animal) will be stoped before it reach me. ;)

See,.... there you go again putting yourself in my shoes.
I hate to be so blunt,... but you are not me,... and you would have to do what you could to muster up in any situation so I accept the way you only could.
And if you aren't proficient with the weapon you are using you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

@Waiora,...
It's not that I couldn't shoot animals in the head, it's because I choose not to on big game.
Now groundhogs, & squirrels, there ain't nothing like the smack sound the bullet makes hitting their skulls on those little critters.......... ;)
crwilson12

Post by crwilson12 »

to all the guys condemning the hunting practice of my family and brothers, where none of you know the area being hunted or conditions who think you are so high and mighty have probably never shot 1/500th of the animals my family has hunted in the last 3 generations. My grandfather was used as guide by americans from all over the usa to hunt moose and wt and bb, who wanted to come to CANADA to do some real hunting not the baby animals you call game in the USA. He said you could drop him off blindfolded in the mountains he hunted by helicopter and he would find his way home in a day with the blindfold still on. Good luck ever getting a lung shot on any deer in the area where I live, the swamp grass is 3 feet tall and scrub brush and alders. Not once did my brothers ever, ever, ever leave a wounded animal in the field not once.... However my brother guided several hunts where moose were taken that had 308 rounds buried in there shoulders that had healed completely over, he also shot a whitetail once walking around with a 2 inch whole below its spine oozing green puss some ***** with a 12 guage fired at. and another wt with an arrow buried in its neck.... Also if you shot a wt in my area in the chest unless you kill it dead on the spot you will never find it without a very good dog if it goes 100m its about a 3 hour job to find 200m it will take you all day. However like I said every shot I saw my brothers take blew the top of the deers head completely off and never once did one go more than 5m , maybe you should learn to shoot, also my brother competed regularly in shoots with open sights and would place top 3 against scope opponents.

Also maybe you should stop playing video games and do 1 real hunt, deer skulls do not deflect bullets.

Return to “General Chat”