Spooking radius on a treestand?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
walt133
Hunter

Spooking radius on a treestand?

Post by walt133 »

Just curious, because on 2 occasions I had wolves call probably within a hundred meters of me, and when I set up the TS and called none of them showed up. Thoughts?
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Spooking radius on a treestand?

Post by SoftShoe »

Someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is 100m. I have deployed my TS at 107m from a doe & not spooked it & another time at 95m I did.

Alderman

Post by Alderman »

I think all equipment (tripod, tent, treestand) has a spook radius of 100m building it up and down.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey Walt!

Yeah anything your have to place or setup in this game has a spook radius of 100m. I mark the call on the map, check to make sure its accurate and then hover my mouse back over it, it will give you an accurate reading on how far away the call is.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

100m spook radius for treestands.

I'm guessing something else happned in the case of the wolves. I believe they are currently the single animal that requires the most frequent calling in order to bring in. I've noticed in my own games with wolves that I could see a long ways off, if I didn't call every 2-3 minutes real time the wolves would stop coming towards me. As they walk in pretty slow (they only trot to you for the last 40-50m or so) this means I often end up calling 5+ times to get a single wolf to actually come in. Sometimes more if I spot them over 200m away.

Couple this with the chasing mechanic. If a wolf is currently being lured by a call, it will not start chasing deer or elk. If you allow the call to wear off, which is easy to do if you don't call as frequently as mentioned or moreso, the wolf can go instantly from lured to chasing and once it's chasing another call will not stop it. Calling overrides chasing, but only if the chasing mechanic hasn't already been initiated. Once it has, the wolf will often chase straight out of render range, and there is no stopping it or calling it back.

Just my thoughts and advice from what I've observed.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Thanks guys! The observations on the wolves helps a lot!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: walt ... How long did you wait ?
Maybe they did not spook because of the installation of your TS . Sometimes in the situation that you presented , you need to wait a bit long than other species , for them to come in to the call .
Without knowing how long you waited , i would say to wait a bit more next time . The coyotes have a nonchalant behavior and can ignore your call at first a bit longer , before it hits them .

If some finally come to you , still wait a bit , to see if its a pack or a single coyote. The first one you see could be from a pack and big ones come last most of time . Thats the ones you want , right ? ;)

Just from my exps . Good luck in the future . :P

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

xOEDragonx wrote:100m spook radius for treestands.

I'm guessing something else happned in the case of the wolves. I believe they are currently the single animal that requires the most frequent calling in order to bring in. I've noticed in my own games with wolves that I could see a long ways off, if I didn't call every 2-3 minutes real time the wolves would stop coming towards me. As they walk in pretty slow (they only trot to you for the last 40-50m or so) this means I often end up calling 5+ times to get a single wolf to actually come in. Sometimes more if I spot them over 200m away.

Couple this with the chasing mechanic. If a wolf is currently being lured by a call, it will not start chasing deer or elk. If you allow the call to wear off, which is easy to do if you don't call as frequently as mentioned or moreso, the wolf can go instantly from lured to chasing and once it's chasing another call will not stop it. Calling overrides chasing, but only if the chasing mechanic hasn't already been initiated. Once it has, the wolf will often chase straight out of render range, and there is no stopping it or calling it back.

Just my thoughts and advice from what I've observed.
Just another observation. If a wolf switches to chasing mode, and doesn't go out of render, it is possible to lure it back with the caller. I've had them go right under my TS, chasing a cow, and a few minutes later, come to my call.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

DYEUZ wrote::arrow: walt ... How long did you wait ?
Maybe they did not spook because of the installation of your TS . Sometimes in the situation that you presented , you need to wait a bit long than other species , for them to come in to the call .
Without knowing how long you waited , i would say to wait a bit more next time . The coyotes have a nonchalant behavior and can ignore your call at first a bit longer , before it hits them .

If some finally come to you , still wait a bit , to see if its a pack or a single coyote. The first one you see could be from a pack and big ones come last most of time . Thats the ones you want , right ? ;)

Just from my exps . Good luck in the future . :P
That makes sense, but I waited around 10 minutes real time. I would think that would be long enough.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: walt ... Yeah , 20 minutes in game is pretty good , even though in some situations ,i forgot about them because i thought that they did not take the call and suddenly saw one incoming .
But 20 @ 30 minutes is a fair wait . Oh well , better luck next time . ;)

Oops , just saw / realized that you were talking about the Wolves ! Cant read apparently when i wake up !
If you look at my avatar , can't see from one eye and the other is patched . ;)

Still, change the species in my post and it could be true also .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “General Chat”