.22 LR vs. .17 HMR - choosing a varmint rifle.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Re: .22 LR vs. .17 HMR - choosing a varmint rifle.

Post by D3AKUs »

If u enjoy reloading animations that take half an hour before u can use your weapon - go with the .17 ( dont get me wrong - muzzleloaders are fun. But the .17 is just a waste of time and space imo, only gun i 100% regret buying )

If u want a rifle thats fun to use,has super fast handling and a small spooking range and does the job fine on all its permitted species go with the plink.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

D3AKUs wrote:If u enjoy reloading animations that take half an hour before u can use your weapon - go with the .17 ( dont get me wrong - muzzleloaders are fun. But the .17 is just a waste of time and space imo, only gun i 100% regret buying )

If u want a rifle thats fun to use,has super fast handling and a small spooking range and does the job fine on all its permitted species go with the plink.
Thanks for your thoughts. :)

I saw some YT reviews, and I actualy like the animation. :P Yes - it takes time, but mostly once on the begining of the hunt. I usualy refill magazine after every shot - of course there might be a series of shots, but I assume I won't realy need the weapon for anything else after this series. ;) And even if so, if I recall correctly, I can stop reloading in any moment, If I would need to, dosn't I? So animations dosn't bother me. I like them. :) But there are some other drawbacks I do consider. ;)
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

If to add to my previous post about the matter I must add to your dilemma by the following statement:
The Plinkington is great fun. There's no other rifle quite like it. Closest one is the .223 semi. There are, however, a lot of lever action rifles.
For diversity it's thumbs up for the .22.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Let's get something out front first about the prey you were talking about,..
Turkeys and Rabbits are totally like hunting a 10+ animal to a 1+ animal being the Turkey a 10+ animal.
There are definitely variable ways of hunting Turkeys but for the best results it would have to be in a tree stand calling in birds to you and using a bow as turkeys have some of the best
eyesight in the game. That being said now you can pick any weapon you want to and hunt/track them down 1 by 1, Tree stand also, and calling them in to you, even if it's laying down
on the ground prone.
The choice of the weapon with rifles is the 22L, ,,, the .17 HMR and using these for noise spook distance as you don't want to scare everything off in the immediate vicinity.
And all those weapons including handgun are doable on Turkey, even in flight.....
I guess that is why a lot of players prefer using bows because of the consistent Turkey kills set up with the Tree Stand.
Its just a matter of knowing how much scope hold over on your target at longer distances,....
and there you go,... any of the small rifles can be used to snipe off any animal they're allowed for, and if you don't spook them at closer ranges ducks fall into this category also.
Because rabbits fall over like fluffy fur balls in the wind and doesn't take much skill to shoot them.
Actually it's how many you shoot that makes it so fun sometimes, if rabbits are your thing.
Just find yourself a long wide open area on any map for Cottontails and Euro's and start shootin' em,.. cuz you never know when the next long distance competition comes around.
And I wouldn't say that it's too far off,.. if you get my drift....... ;)

BTW..... a varmint (Coyotes, Weasels,) is an animal which destroys or kills animals man owns.....like chickens,.. sheep, even wild birds, or rabbits ... although some people refer groundhogs as varmints, they are actually pests like squirrels & rats, even crows, rabbits etc.....
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Generalkommendant wrote:If to add to my previous post about the matter I must add to your dilemma by the following statement:
The Plinkington is great fun. There's no other rifle quite like it. Closest one is the .223 semi. There are, however, a lot of lever action rifles.
For diversity it's thumbs up for the .22.
And this is what makes the choice so hard. ;) I would buy them both, if not my limited budget. :) However, for same reasons (budget menagment), I don't think I will buy any other lever action rifle anytime soon - if ever. I have already Stambecco, and .340 Weatherby. Don't need any other big game rifle at the moment. But I realy like the look, and sound of Plinkington, their low spooking radius. Low recoil (dosn't matter realy in the game that much, but animation look nice). From other hand, I like the performance of .17 HMR (also those IRL), and reloading animation (those for feeding magazine tube). Well... I have something to think about. ;)

Oh... and I love the look and the feel of .223 semi-auto. :D But since I have .243 for free, I simply don't need it. :P
gas56 wrote: There are definitely variable ways of hunting Turkeys but for the best results it would have to be in a tree stand calling in birds to you and using a bow as turkeys have some of the best eyesight in the game.
Well, perhaps. But this would require additional expenses I want to avoid. I have also a trophy lodge to buy still. ;) I would say, I need to balance between best and cheapest method. ;) I maybe will consider to by also a caller, but I'm not sure. Stalking them is nice fun. :D

They may have keen eyes, but I was able to stalk them with a shotgun - approach to about 40 meters before shot. And I had only Outback clothes as my camo. So I think they are still not that hard in the game, as they could be. ;)

And as I said many times - I'm firearms fan, and firearms brought me to the game in the first place. :) I'll maybe try bow, or crossbow hunting some day, when I will have some spare money. But rather not in any time soon.
gas56 wrote: The choice of the weapon with rifles is the 22L, ,,, the .17 HMR and using these for noise spook distance as you don't want to scare everything off in the immediate vicinity.
Being silent is deffinitely an advantage. However, from the begining of my virtual hunter career, I assumed that spooking animals is a price for using firearms with I can accept in the game (not always true to reality, from what I've observed in the net). So while this is a strong point in discussion, it is not the most important for me. Trophy Integrity could be important to me, if it only would play any real role in the game. And I do not participate in competitions too much, anyway. Hence, performance, and fire rate (in case of small game) are probably the most important aspects to me. Low wobble can be a nice addition too. And big magazine capacity (with is similar in both rifles). Only after this, silence. ;)
gas56 wrote: Actually it's how many you shoot that makes it so fun sometimes, if rabbits are your thing.
Just find yourself a long wide open area on any map for Cottontails and Euro's and start shootin' em,..
Yes. This is what I actualy like about small game in this game ;) I love to hunt ptarmigans for this reason. Those are that relaxing, almost effortless sessions of mine. ;) However with ptarmigans, I will definitely stay with shotgun - shooting them on ground is not fun. ;) But I have to admitt, that I hate to shoot pheasants in the air. Btw. With new rifle, I would like to shoot birds in the air if possible (aside of turkeys of course) - this is why I was asking about this too. But if it is doable mostly on ground only, that's fine too.
gas56 wrote:BTW..... a varmint (Coyotes, Weasels,) is an animal which destroys or kills animals man owns.....like chickens,.. sheep, ... although some people refer groundhogs as varmints, they are actually pests like squirrels & rats, even crows, etc.....
I see. Well, I was reffering mostly to categorisation used on the wiki. But still, I don't know how squirrels can be considered a pest. For me this a park animal. :P Of course they live in the wilds too. But no one shoot them here in Poland, as far as I know. And with rats we fight rather with the use of poisons - however I would agree, that shooting them would be probably more humane. I don't understand how one can shoot crows because they caw to loud, either. I guess "cultural differences", so to speak. :P
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Sherab86 wrote: I guess "cultural differences", so to speak. :P
It's not so much cultural differences but understanding what each of us are saying.
But I guess we are both learning........... :lol:
And I have been to a lot of Countries and Languages can be confusing......... ;)
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

gas56 wrote:
Sherab86 wrote: I guess "cultural differences", so to speak. :P
It's not so much cultural differences but understanding what each of us are saying.
But I guess we are both learning........... :lol:
And I have been to a lot of Countries and Languages can be confusing......... ;)
Heh, This is true for sure. :)
But I meant only, that I don't understand how squirrels can be considered as huntable animal as such. :P There is no to much of meat, realy. :P Maybe in USA (or North America as such) they can be devastating to crops - I won't argue with that, since I don't know. But I don't think here in Poland anyone consider them as pests. As I said, they are more like park animals here, fed by visitors with nuts, and so on. Rats - different story. I would have to say, that (again, as far as I know) varmint or pest hunting of small game is not realy legal here as well (by most part). Hunting with air rifles is also illegal.

The story of crows I've found somewhere in the net, when I was searching IRL info on both cartridges. Someone was prizing one (don't remember with one) for reliabily in silencing crows. For me this was almost barbary statement. :/

But this is off-topic, and probably for completely another part of the forum. :P
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Sherab86 wrote:But this is off-topic, and probably for completely another part of the forum. :P
As long as it's about Varmints & pests with a rifle I would say it pretty good on subject.... ;)
I don't live in a park but there are so many grey squirrels that they dig holes everywhere in the yard when they bury acorns,
they get to be real pests sometimes, but you cannot harm them within' city limits, or shoot them.
It takes 4 grey squirrels to make a good meal, But only 2 Fox squirrels to make a meal. Squirrels are good to eat although a lot of countries don't eat them.
We don't eat rats but on the other hand there are a lot of countries that eat them, we just poison them also.
Although me & my friends when we were young would shoot rats in storage barns at night with .22 semi-auto rifles using birdshot and that can become very fun,..
as long as you don't shoot your friends, although ricochets can occur and sting, but won't kill you. Just make sure you use safety goggles.
We just sit on top of folding ladders and turn off the lights,,, when you hear enough of them scurrying around you turn the lights back on and
shoot! But I doubt most people do this....... or have had such fun............. :lol:
Crows are shot for mostly sport with small rifles, as there are a lot around field crops. Have you ever heard of a Murder of Crows?
That is a flock and actually murder is what a flock of crows are to small birds & animals.
Last edited by gas56 on February 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Sherab86 wrote: But I meant only, that I don't understand how squirrels can be considered as huntable animal as such. :P There is no to much of meat, realy. :P Maybe in USA (or North America as such) they can be devastating to crops - I won't argue with that, since I don't know. But I don't think here in Poland anyone consider them as pests. As I said, they are more like park animals here, fed by visitors with nuts, and so on. Rats - different story. I would have to say, that (again, as far as I know) varmint or pest hunting of small game is not realy legal here as well (by most part). Hunting with air rifles is also illegal.
Squirrels are very huntable, and pretty good eating. Squirrel and rabbit stew is really good. A couple red or fox squirrel, a couple rabbits, some veggies, onion or mushroom soup, some spices, slow cooked on a crock pot....Really good, can easily feed 4-6 people.

I don't do it much anymore, but it's very common to squirrel hunt when teaching kids to hunt. I actually had a neighbor and his friend come over to squirrel hunt on my property last weekend.

I've never heard of squirrels doing crop damage, at least from a farming perspective since they usually live in wooded areas were there isn't much in the way of crops. I think most people who consider them pests are talking about them raiding gardens or bird feeders.

Sure, the ones in or near cities and parks get pretty tame or domesticated, but wild squirrels that live well away from people are pretty wary and can be a challenge. That's pretty much true for all animals including deer.
Personal Bests...
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

This is why I was talking about "cultural differences" :P At least when we speak of general population. I suppose, that maybe some actual hunters in Poland would like to hunt squirrels. But this is not allowed, as far as I know, in any circumstances. And I think, this would be seen badly by most of people. People here get used to think of deers and wild boars as of big game animals, and birds like pheasant, and maybe rabbits/hares, as small game species. And while not everyone may like it, I would say it is broadly accepted. But even if not everyone love them, I think not many people would accept shooting pigeons, or crows just for sport. Teaching kids to kill wouldn't be seen in good way too - again, in general population. Among hunter's community - this is probably different story. Current goverment forced a law with will allow kids to participate in hunts, but I don't like this. :/

If we would add to this also my private attitude and believes, things starts to be even more complex ;P But this is why I consider this as off-topic, maybe for some priv-debate, or for off-topic's part of the forum. :)

Return to “General Chat”