.30 R O/U Break Action Rifle vs Species

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

.30 R O/U Break Action Rifle vs Species

Post by Generalkommendant »

Since it's on a sale, and only therefore, I will buy this rifle because of its looks and the perk of being an O/U rifle.

BUT.

I really have an hard time figuring out the list of permitted species. I mean; the 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, .300 etc have a wider range of permitted species. That is in comparison to the .30R, they're also approved for Coyote, Banteng and Bison. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The .30R loses permitted species in both sides of the spectrum, small and big. How come?
Ringolf
Spotter

Re: .30 R O/U Break Action Rifle vs Species

Post by Ringolf »

The permitted species list is a mystery of it's own. I thought about it a lot and tried to figure out some consistency, without success.
Recently I have somehow managed to just stop worrying about it, which makes life in theHunter much easier. If i go for Coyote, Banteng or Bison I usually pick completely other guns, anyway.

All this doesn't take away from the rifle. I really like it, the animations are great and I just discovered that it works wonderfully with the 2-6x26mm scope.

My new favorite weapon for Wild Boar!

Generalkommendant
Hunter

I can agree so far as for banteng and bison that it wouldn't really have a big impact on my gameplay. But as for coyote, it's allowed to shoot them with the 9mm and the .300 even. If I bring the .30R to a map which also has coyotes, maybe I'm not hunting them intentionally, I sure would like to be able firing at them "lawfully". I think it's ridiculous actually that I can't.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I just picked it up as well for the same reason & had all the same questions & reservations you did.

As Ringolf said it does have great animations & attention to detail. Even the primers are dented as part of the reload animation. I also like the 2x6 scope that matches with it & is similarly on sale.

I will consider it my "lucky" gun though. On my 1st hunt with it I got my 1st NT, largest Muley & largest Feral Hog.

Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

I shot a feral hog with it on PB this morning. I'm fine with it not ethical for Banteng and the other large animals. I also hunt them with something like the .45-70. I want stopping power!! A HUGE water buffalo charged me as I was blood-tracking him this morning. One head shot from the .45-70 and he dropped like a stone.

It does seem to be a pretty hot round to use on a coyote as well. So, overall, its species list makes sense to me.

I love the gun! Easily my favorite of the few I have. I'll check out the scope. Thanks for the tip.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Griph wrote:....

It does seem to be a pretty hot round to use on a coyote as well. So, overall, its species list makes sense to me.
You're missing the point.
With a .300 ETC ETC I can shoot everything I can with the .30R but also bigger animals as the Bison and the Banteng. Despite of this fact, I can also shoot the Coyote with them.
With the .30R I can't. I'm OK if it would be considered weaker than the mentioned other guns but then it should obviously be permitted for the Coyote, right?
Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

Well, I can understand you and you are right in that the lists for permitted animals between different ammo is inconsistent.

I guess what Griph is saying is that it is not the permitted species for the .30R that is off.

Maybe the permitted species for .300, 8x57IS, 7mm and 9,3x64 is too large or too generous in comparison, rather than the .30R beeing too restricted.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Ringolf wrote: ....
Maybe the permitted species for .300, 8x57IS, 7mm and 9,3x64 is too large or too generous in comparison, rather than the .30R beeing too restricted.
Yeah, absolutely. I would buy that. For the time being, as you state, the .30R is just really adding to the inconsistency of the ammo and its permitted species.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yeah, I do not understand EW's policy in terms of permitted species lists too. "Gameplay balance" often shows up in duscussions about the subject. But I don't buy this, to be honest. If this would be realy the case, we wouldn't have such broad permitted species lists for 7 mm, .300, and so on. This do not drives the sales that much too, since most species can be covered by those calibers, and .243 with one we recive for free. Only after Water Buffalo showed up recently, those calibers lost some of their versatelity.

And it seems, that .30 R is modeled in the game as being even more powerful than .300. So the choice to restrict .30 R's list compared to .300 seems to be even more strange.

Looking at the topic "realistically" (I think) - as I often wrote, I don't like "top-restrictions", so to speak. I mean the idea, that some ammo can be too powerful for some species. If it those the job good enough on bigger animal, why it should not on smaller, right? There is of course harvest score in the game, infulenced by trophy integrity value. But this should be a matter of a personal concerns of a hunter, and not "official regulations". But... I can accept such situation for gameplay purposes - for said "balance".

But then, there should be some consistency at least. :(

Return to “General Chat”