Approaching 10 years of TheHunter

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
walt133
Hunter

Re: Approaching 10 years of TheHunter

Post by walt133 »

DHRifleman wrote:I would like to see a halt of additions to classic, drop in subscription price to $15 or $20 a year (enough for the 3rd party costs + a little profit) and the release of classic 2 on the CotW engine with at least 50% of the content that is currently available in classic now.
Yes, while still being able to host 3rd part competitions, missions, use David's UHC site etc...

Sounds like that would be pretty awesome! ;)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DHRifleman wrote:I would like to see a halt of additions to classic, drop in subscription price to $15 or $20 a year (enough for the 3rd party costs + a little profit) and the release of classic 2 on the CotW engine with at least 50% of the content that is currently available in classic now.
Being the realist you are, I can't tell if you're joking. I mean, don't get me wrong, theHunter 2.0 on the Apex engine would be fantastic. It's the dream outcome really. However the proposal to drop membership prices to cover infrastructure costs plus generate a little profit, almost assumes that the work for the aforementioned "upgrade" is already done, no? Otherwise, how would the company maintain the same team, on the same salaries, for the ~24(-36) months it would take to "port" the game and at least 50% of the content we have now to the new engine? You might argue that it wouldn't take that long. No doubt a lot of others would too. I would argue that it would, and I don't see how it could be done whilst sustaining a drop in membership revenue by 42-57% and a halt on all new content creation. It's basically like saying, "hey Expansive Worlds, don't make any new stuff from this point forward, drop my membership fees, and start working on upgrading the game with your new reduced revenue stream".

Nope, I'm going to go with "you were joking", because I just can't wrap my head around you having such an unrealistic expectation.
Dilaj
Tracker

Post by Dilaj »

A graphic mod would be awsome for who's want to play on better graphic. Its possible to make that?

Peace
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Ten years of theHunter! Ain't that somethin'? I agree that if EW has any event at all to celebrate, that it would involve awesome comps and missions. A 10 year anniversary of "theHunter" T-shirt to winners of the comps- that we can actually wear in real life. Now, that would be pretty awesome! Not sure what the cost would be to design, deliver etc., to the winners, since we all live across the globe, but for such a special event, why not? Ten or less T-shirts sent to ten winners or less, I can't imagine that being too costly. Just think how special that T-Shirt would be... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

caledonianblues wrote:
Being the realist you are, I can't tell if you're joking. I mean, don't get me wrong, theHunter 2.0 on the Apex engine would be fantastic. It's the dream outcome really. However the proposal to drop membership prices to cover infrastructure costs plus generate a little profit, almost assumes that the work for the aforementioned "upgrade" is already done, no? Otherwise, how would the company maintain the same team, on the same salaries, for the ~24(-36) months it would take to "port" the game and at least 50% of the content we have now to the new engine? You might argue that it wouldn't take that long. No doubt a lot of others would too. I would argue that it would, and I don't see how it could be done whilst sustaining a drop in membership revenue by 42-57% and a halt on all new content creation. It's basically like saying, "hey Expansive Worlds, don't make any new stuff from this point forward, drop my membership fees, and start working on upgrading the game with your new reduced revenue stream".

Nope, I'm going to go with "you were joking", because I just can't wrap my head around you having such an unrealistic expectation.
Well, 50% of the content we have now was more of a wish than reality but;

Just as classic funded the development of CotW while still adding content, maybe CotW could do a little payback.

Really what we are talking about is taking the maps and everything else that is now in CotW, and reformatting the gameplay to what classic is.
Then every time a weapon or animal is made for one, it is made for the other as well. Two different styles of play using the same resources to create both seem equitable to me.
And at the same time taking in some revenue from the existing classic from player that haven't upgraded yet.
I would much rather see that than have classic eventually not be worth keeping alive and be left with nothing comparable.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

Just ask the people over at Everquest for some advice lol. They have 24 expansions since 1999 on the same engine. I predict a 2020 T.H.C competition for a new weapon :) Free gifts to people who've been active since year one, special items or clothing only available to them... I won't get anything but If you're still active since year one you deserve more than a cookie and those out of date trophies *which look so cool you should bring back* wink wink :D They gave away a free .454, Tower stand, ect. if you just logged in during a certain day...I can totally see a decade celebration event / item give away going on for people with a membership.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I'm hoping they keep it open for 10 more years so my future kids can enjoy this work of art. :lol:
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

caledonianblues wrote:

heres what i honestly think will happen once the game cant continue.EW will close.along with classic.Avalanche carry on with the "theHunter " franchise.i guess thats why originally EW was made in the first place.

classic has been labeled classic for a reason.

if you think about it logically the player base for classic is mainly on pcs that cant play cotw.so why would you migrate classic to a newer engine ? makes no sense.the people that cant play call of the wild cant play on the engine anyway so why would you migrate to a newer engine to facilitate people who cant play it anyway.

the future realistically is call of the wild expanded or take a gamble re do classic as we call it on a new engine and hope it works out as classic has business wise.the thing is how it has been and it didnt make a penny for five years !!!! who would make that choice ? thats why i think call of the wild will be developed more to become what people want from classic on a newer engine.

as much as i love classic if someone said to me you may not make a penny for five years with millions invested would you make a new version i would say no. that's hard to say but its logic.

so it comes down to how would you make a successful hunting game for us here and facilitate us all without the financial risk ? or a risk that is worth taking on. at the moment call of the wild has the platforms to do so and progress.the thing it isnt classic. so while cotw is a great game what is there to cater for the classic crowd.its a tricky question to answer.
Sycoshowbob

Post by Sycoshowbob »

I really hope everything keeps flowing the way it's working out for these 10 years since I've been in this game for 7 years. I know that many question many things in this game, and always want more equipment, maps and weapons ...; However, there are very few who actually make good use of these requests when they are carried out by developers, thinking about the long date of this game!
I say this because of the recent reservation PB, which many forum members asked about animals, weapons and etc ...! Many of these players who asked for this, even today I looked at the hunting record, and I saw that they did not make use of this reserve, like the amount they questioned.
We are waiting 10 more years and welcome.

Good hunting for all and peace!
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
Dilaj wrote:Maybe night hunting?
We already have that. I hunt almost every night, right after dinner. :P
And me juste after midnight and for 9 years a month and 10 days (December 21 2009) ;) :lol:

Return to “General Chat”