.405 Lever Action Rifle

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: .405 Lever Action Rifle

Post by DanthemanBoone »

fantamichele wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:
BCKidd wrote:I can't figure out how the dang thing can be loaded with a scope on it. Like Dantheman says, it is top loaded. So, how can a scope :? be on it? Either way, with or without a scope, I reckon it is a nice rifle that I'll be sure to buy soon. ;) Peace.

BCKidd
Its not top loaded. Its top ejection.
I Believe this rifle had a 3 shot box mag underneath.
It is loaded with 5 hits from the top

Ahh, there we go. So it is top loaded. Now we all know the story. Glad I Qualified my comment with "I believe"
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I have no issues with the sights & can routinely get "10's" at 100m. POI is right a the tip of the blade as it should be.

FWIW I have brought down a handful of bear with it & several moose. I find it to be an exceptional rifle on such game at less then 100m with great penetration.

fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

Double lung at 186 meters, just a beautiful weapon ;)

Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

For anyone interested, there's a video on the rifle this is (supposedly ;) ) modelled after on the "Forgotten Weapons" Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZmoJBRoIHQ

Looks to me like they did a pretty good job modelling it.
I like that it has no scope. Through a scope, all weapons look the same.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Glad to read here that folks are getting good hits with the new .405. I also watched the vid posted by Ringolf, and I do agree EW did an awesome job on it. It'll be going into my gun cabinet soon. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

I have not bought and tried it yet, but it look very good and I do like it's without scope :mrgreen:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

With the placement of an upright shell when loading the 1895 lever action you have to catch the rim of the shell first (photo #2 & 4) then push the shell down in a horizontal position (photo #3 & 5).
This actually doesn't give much room for a short scope mounted bracket,.. although they do make high brackets nowadays for loading and ejection room on model 1895's but they are ugly as sin.
Actually IMO I think Teddy Roosevelt would have appreciated a mounted scope as his eyesight grew very poor and even did go partially blind in 1 eye before he died.
Teddy had 3 1895 models in 405 cal. when it was released in 1904, and used them on his African Safari of 1909-1910 and from what I've read about
it is that he really liked using them on Lions the most. Now all we need is that African Reserve to see if we do............ :lol:
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Well we could get a scout- or a side mount. Those exist.
But I'm fine with irons.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

I like it. Looks good and feels good to use. Need a lil bit of practice with the irons but its fun already.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Ok unless people still want the photos, here are clips taken from yesterdays stream, which should better demonstrate the sites at ranges. Granted the WB is not that far, about 100m. But you can see how much of it fills the sites and then the second clip is me shooting the Sambar at 173m (from memory) . Which if I can hit a Sambar at that range, A WB should be no worries.

https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintSeductive ... rammarKing
WB
https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningCarelessDragonMingLee
Sambar

Thoughts?

TK

Return to “General Chat”