Cutting my teeth on ducks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by SoftShoe »

Hey folks,

Now that I can hit with my shotguns I thought I would take a swing at ducks so I am looking to gear up. Ive got the guns, the blind & the calls. Last stop is decoys.

I am wondering is a 24 decoy spread gives the same max attraction as it does with goose? Also I think I saw a post (but cant find it now) where a guy said not to buy Mallard decoys because they apparently come in on any decoys. Any truth to that? In suggestions on what mix of decoys I need for max attraction for all ducks?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

CHABL0
Spotter

Re: Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by CHABL0 »

Grab a spread out of the bundles in the store. I have half spread of mallards and it works. I get all ducks coming in. Will eventually get another half.
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X | MSI B350 Gaming.PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 16GB(2x8GB) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 6GB | ADATA SP600 128GB SSD | EVGA 600W 80+ | MSI Optix AG32C
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

xAncalagonx created a terrific duck decoy calculator, which you can find a link to in this thread, which greatly helps to figure out how you want to build your decoy spread.. http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... calculator
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

This is my suggestion:
24 Male & Female Mallard decoy
12 decoys for other ducks(American Black Duck - Gadwalls - Northern Pintails)

I have this setup and I have 100% attraction.
Also you can check this link and get more information about duck decoys attraction.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

It's actually pretty easy : Mallard decoys have 100% attraction on mallard and 50% on other duck species. Other decoys have 100% of attraction on their kind, but zero on all other ducks.
Flapping decoys have are as attractive as six ordinary ones.
But with 24 Mallard decoys, a full spread, you'll get plenty of ducks breaking. I'd recommend to start with that.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

you can get yourself in a flap over decoys.dont, just get 24 or 4 spinners and set up in a decent location.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

ronMctube wrote:you can get yourself in a flap over decoys.
Especially the flappy ones.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

quack ! :D
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I'm curious, what does the %attraction mean--as in, % for each individual duck to break, or one from the flock, or? I have a ton of decoys out and most flocks don't break at all--it should be something like 75% for most species/100% for mallards, I think? Is it possible I placed them wrong? Sorry to barge in on the thread, but I'm curious, as there's no real way to check attraction % (that I know of) in the actual game.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

TheSheWolf wrote:I'm curious, what does the %attraction mean--as in, % for each individual duck to break, or one from the flock, or? I have a ton of decoys out and most flocks don't break at all--it should be something like 75% for most species/100% for mallards, I think? Is it possible I placed them wrong? Sorry to barge in on the thread, but I'm curious, as there's no real way to check attraction % (that I know of) in the actual game.
The % just refers to the maximum attraction possible. 24 decoys (= 100%) of one species is the highest attraction you can get, any additional decoys do not increase it any further. Still, this does not mean that you will have a break from every flock.
Try to place them close together, so that you only see one duck symbol on the huntermate (not on the map, you'll always see a lot of overlapping duck symbols there). Then you're good to go.

I can recommend the comeback caller. If you use the long range caller on an incoming flock at least once, then switch to the comeback caller and use this one, you should have breaks from almost every flock, even if it's just one duck sometimes.
Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”