Cutting my teeth on ducks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Re: Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hey there,
TheSheWolf wrote:I'm curious, what does the %attraction mean--as in, % for each individual duck to break, or one from the flock, or? I have a ton of decoys out and most flocks don't break at all--it should be something like 75% for most species/100% for mallards, I think? Is it possible I placed them wrong? Sorry to barge in on the thread, but I'm curious, as there's no real way to check attraction % (that I know of) in the actual game.
I think it is % of attraction a single decoy can have. Like one mallard decoy has a constant effect taken as 100%. Then you will need two of them (2x50%)to have the same effect on gadwall, black duck or pintail as a single decoy (with 100% attraction) of this kind would have.

The other thing is the maximum attraction one can reach. With mallard, you will need 24 mallard decoys for maximum attraction. Since it would only have 50% on other duck species, you would need 48 of them for maximum attraction. But having maximum level of attraction doesn't mean that there will be ducks breaking from every flock. I think no matter what we do, 100% of let's call it break rate will be impossible to achieve.

Edit : Tann was faster :shock:
μολών λαβέ
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Tanngnjostr wrote: The % just refers to the maximum attraction possible.
Aha! That explains it completely, thanks! And Gewehrwolf also, appreciated.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

If I had it to do over, I'd get 24 mallards - Instead- I have a 168 and I can do just as well with 24 - and I'd get spinners, easier to move 4 than 24.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

For maximum attraction of all ducks,...
24 mallard decoys or (4 mallard spinners) = 24
and (36 other decoys) or (6 other spinners =36) or (12 pintail Decoys, 12 gadwall Decoys, 12 blackduck Decoys =36) or (2 pintail Spinners, 2 gadwall Spinners, 2 blackduck Spinners =36)

This is for maximum attraction on all species combined if you want to hunt all duck species with maximum duck breaking results. (that does not mean every flock will break in conjunction with callers and come to your decoy set-up)
This is my set-up and I don't even duck hunt much, 24 mallard decoys and 12 each other 3 species decoys = 36
it can run into some $em for a dedicated duck hunter and even if your not one like myself.
But I do know if I want to hunt ducks I have the set-up that produces good results.
Sometimes waiting for Sales are your best bet, if you can buy bundles you can save $em.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

gas56 wrote:For maximum attraction of all ducks,...
and (36 other decoys) or (6 other spinners =36) or (12 pintail Decoys, 12 gadwall Decoys, 12 blackduck Decoys =36) or (2 pintail Spinners, 2 gadwall Spinners, 2 blackduck Spinners =36)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would make 24(mallard) + 36(3x12 other duck) = 60(!) decoys? (Ignoring flapping wings)
Before doing that, I'd go for 48 Mallard decoys. Remember, they got 50% attraction on all other duck species.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Gewehrwolf wrote:
gas56 wrote:For maximum attraction of all ducks,...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would make 24(mallard) + 36(3x12 other duck) = 60(!) decoys? (Ignoring flapping wings)
Before doing that, I'd go for 48 Mallard decoys. Remember, they got 50% attraction on all other duck species.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
You can do what you want to but EW has told us this when it was a big debate before,.......... but to lure other ducks in their maximum attraction rate of breaking off from the flock you have to have the decoys or spinners of the other ducks and that's why you don't have to have 24 decoys apiece of the other duck species, just 12 decoys apiece of the other duck species (50% of 24) x 3 = 36........ ;)

And believe me, I did not go out and buy all the decoys until the fat lady came home to sing......... :lol:
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

gas56 wrote:You can do what you want to,.......... but to lure other ducks in their maximum attraction rate of breaking off from the flock you have to have the decoys or spinners of the other ducks and that's why you don't have to have 24 decoys apiece of the other duck species, just 12 decoys apiece of the other duck species (50% of 24) x 3 = 36........ ;)
Absolutely. This total freedom, beeing able to do whatever you like, is one of the points I like most about this game. But if I do my maths right, it would still be more efficient in terms of mobility, space usage and cost, to use 48 mallard decoys, instead of 24 mallard plus 36(=3x12) for other ducks.
μολών λαβέ
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Gewehrwolf wrote:
gas56 wrote:You can do what you want to,.......... but to lure other ducks in their maximum attraction rate of breaking off from the flock you have to have the decoys or spinners of the other ducks and that's why you don't have to have 24 decoys apiece of the other duck species, just 12 decoys apiece of the other duck species (50% of 24) x 3 = 36........ ;)
Absolutely. This total freedom, beeing able to do whatever you like, is one of the points I like most about this game. But if I do my maths right, it would still be more efficient in terms of mobility, space usage and cost, to use 48 mallard decoys, instead of 24 plus 36 for other ducks.
how do you figure that?
24 mallards is the limit on maximum attraction rate for mallards plus 50% of the mallards attraction goes to all other ducks on 1 set-up. So extra mallard decoys don't matter.... ;)
Even if you have more mallard decoys it is no more attraciting in the same set-up for mallards or the other 50% of other ducks that works in correlation with the 24 maximum mallard decoys
and duck calls to lure flocks to break. Believe me, go do a search and it is explained in one of the old update posts. You'll be glad you did.... ;)
Have a good 1....................GAS
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

gas56 wrote:
You can do what you want to but EW has told us this when it was a big debate before,..........
Seems like the big debate isnt over yet LOL

Thanks for the tips guy!

Is there a specific area on hte Bayou that is better then others? I walked around the map some but I have never been a duck hunter so not sure what to look for.

Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

gas56 wrote:how do you figure that?
24 mallards is the limit on maximum attraction rate for mallards plus 50% of the mallards attraction goes to all other ducks. So extra decoys don't matter.... ;)
Even if you have more mallard decoys it is no more attraciting in the same set-up for mallards or the other 50% of other ducks that works in correlation with the 24 maximum mallard decoys
and duck calls to lure flocks to break. Believe me, go do a search and it is explained in one of the old update posts. Or just wait for another experienced duck hunters reply if you don't take my word for it.... ;)
Have a good 1....................GAS
Didn't mean to tell you wrong, it's more about me questioning my own position. As far as I understood, from the store description and from what I've read on the wiki and forums, attraction is capped at 24 decoys @100%. Since a mallard decoy has 100% on mallard and 50% on other ducks, I thought you could reach that 100% using 48 mallard. Like it would be 48x50%. But checking the store again, it also says 'To get max attraction for other ducks 12 species specific decoys must be added. Additional decoys added after 24 have no effect on probability.' so you're probably right.
SoftShoe wrote:Is there a specific area on the Bayou that is better then others? I walked around the map some but I have never been a duck hunter so not sure what to look for.
There's an awesome position shown on the wiki. Got my setup there, too. Results are outstanding.
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Waterfowling
μολών λαβέ

Return to “General Chat”